Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HK45C V7 LEM Hammer Off-Center

My P30s have the hammer sitting more towards the left as well.

On my new HK45C (again, V7 LEM), I noticed that occasionally, if I dry fire it and let the trigger out as slowly as possible with my finger only riding it from the edge, every once in a while it doesn't reset all the way forward (keep in mind this is in true double action mode since the slide did not cycle to reset the LEM hammer) and it goes forward again with a little tap. I'm not sure if my first/main HK45C does this or not. Maybe I'll unload it to check later.

Most of the time I can't get it to happen, but if my finger is just on the side of the trigger and I baby it out, it happens. A slight nudge sends it reset all the way. Apologies if this is a poor description, I'm not sure how else to describe it.

This doesn't at all happen when the slide cycles to reset the hammer. It's only when the LEM trigger is in full double action mode from the slide not cycling. Trigger reset after the slide is cycled (manually or from firing a shot) is quick.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about, with the slide off to get a better look at the hammer's position. It's like one out of every 10 tries I can get it to not reset all the way if I let off the trigger very slowly. A small bump makes it reset. To be clear, I've never experienced this during shooting. Only when dry firing when the hammer is in full double action reset, not the LEM cocked.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

Name:  hk45c reset.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  23.8 KB

Probably not, but you might want to give HK Tech Support a call-they're quite responsive and supportive in my experiences Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Probably not, but you might want to give HK Tech Support a call-they're quite responsive and supportive in my experiences Best, Jon
    After putting a drop of CLP on the trigger spring (return spring?) and dry practicing for about 50 times, I can no longer get the trigger to do it anymore, no matter how slowly I let off the trigger in full double action mode. I'll probably still send an email to HK Tech Support, but seeing as it's almost 500 rounds without any issues and I can't get it do it in dry practice anymore, I guess that's good.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    The HK USP series is one of THE most well designed and functionally robust pistols ever produced.

Just shoot it.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    After putting a drop of CLP on the trigger spring (return spring?) and dry practicing for about 50 times, I can no longer get the trigger to do it anymore, no matter how slowly I let off the trigger in full double action mode. I'll probably still send an email to HK Tech Support, but seeing as it's almost 500 rounds without any issues and I can't get it do it in dry practice anymore, I guess that's good.
    One possibility is either the trigger bar spring has an issue, or the trigger bar spring plunger is sticking in its hole. Pictured below is a P30SK, but the part is functionally the same on the HK45C and all the other USP derivatives.

What I've seen in my P30 before is, for whatever reason, the bottom part of the plunger can sometimes get stuck in its hole, preventing the trigger bar return spring from allowing full travel.
    In my case, it was just some excessive carbon build up that did it, few passes with some swabs or a brush, and the problem was gone. To check it means you'd have to pull the hammer, sear, disconnector, catch, latch, etc to be able to flip the trigger bar up and allow access to the plunger.

Name:  P30SK-V3-OBLIQUE-exploded-diagram-MARCH-17-2015.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  74.2 KB
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    One possibility is either the trigger bar spring has an issue, or the trigger bar spring plunger is sticking in its hole. Pictured below is a P30SK, but the part is functionally the same on the HK45C and all the other USP derivatives.

What I've seen in my P30 before is, for whatever reason, the bottom part of the plunger can sometimes get stuck in its hole, preventing the trigger bar return spring from allowing full travel.
    In my case, it was just some excessive carbon build up that did it, few passes with some swabs or a brush, and the problem was gone. To check it means you'd have to pull the hammer, sear, disconnector, catch, latch, etc to be able to flip the trigger bar up and allow access to the plunger.

Name:  P30SK-V3-OBLIQUE-exploded-diagram-MARCH-17-2015.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  74.2 KB
    I've been trying to get the trigger to not reset for about 200 dry fires. It's now not able to do it and feels like my other HK45C LEM. I'm not really sure what happened. It stopped doing it after I put a drop of CLP on the trigger spring and did dry practice for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I've been trying to get the trigger to not reset for about 200 dry fires. It's now not able to do it and feels like my other HK45C LEM. I'm not really sure what happened. It stopped doing it after I put a drop of CLP on the trigger spring and did dry practice for a bit.
    I had a USP Compact .45 that would do the exact same thing when I OCD slowly released the trigger. Sent it back to HK and they said it was fine. Bottom line is it never happened in actual live fire. This is a non issue. Shoot the gun.

As far as the OP's original question, the off-center hammer isn't an issue. The important thing is, the hammer still achieves full contact with the face of the firing pin.

A few comments. Due to tolerances, there is a slight horizontal play with the hammer, which is normal. It's offset towards the left a bit, probably, due to the fact the catch, latch, and disconnector are all crammed on the right side of the hammer.

Also, there's a relief cut in the back, upper, right side of the frame for the firing pin safety. It's small and easy to miss, but certainly adds to the visual appearance of the hammer being offset. This is unimportant, but thought I'd mention it.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

User Tag List