Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine Knowledge

M1 Carbine Knowledge

In the coming weeks, a close friend is going to give me a M1 Carbine to sell for him.

It was given to him yearsss ago, due to a death of a family member.

I am told this person (his uncle) would buy guns and never shoot them. I have sold quite a few of the guns he obtained from his uncle.

Is there anyone on board who could give me knowledge (or provide direction) if I have a true, complete M1 Carbine, or I have piecemealed mongrel or a POS import.

I know it will come with some accessories but wont know anything till I have it in front of me.

I did some googling and I came across some forums, but wanted to ask first.

thanks in advance
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    In the coming weeks, a close friend is going to give me a M1 Carbine to sell for him.

It was given to him yearsss ago, due to a death of a family member.

I am told this person (his uncle) would buy guns and never shoot them. I have sold quite a few of the guns he obtained from his uncle.

Is there anyone on board who could give me knowledge (or provide direction) if I have a true, complete M1 Carbine, or I have piecemealed mongrel or a POS import.

I know it will come with some accessories but wont know anything till I have it in front of me.

I did some googling and I came across some forums, but wanted to ask first.

thanks in advance
    Without seeing pictures it will be impossible to really give you much info. Between military production and commercial production I think there are over a dozen possible manufacturers of the M1.

Here’s a good place to start, I think. http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/serialnumbers.html
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I learned just about everything I know about M1 carbines from the CMP forum. It took awhile because the collector value is yuge, even for arsenal rebuilds. Even original parts are collectable.

Three types or conditions.

1. Original unmolested. Very rare.
    2. Arsenal rebuilds. Very common
    3. Collector rebuilds using original parts. Common

The only way to know the condition is to strip the carbine and ID the parts. After you do that you probably still won't know the difference between 1 and 3. Probably not an issue because 1 is extremely rare. #3 rebuilds them and claim them to be #1, not unlike 1911 scammers. Some #3 just sell them as correct without the claim original.

If you post pics on CMP you will immediately get low ball offers from #3's.

Selling on an auction website would get you a fair price.

Until pics we don't have a lot to go on. I have some limited knowledge and some references. I would be willing to share what I know.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

thank you all.

when I get it, I will post some images.

My friend uses me, since I have a good history of sales, and I have access to an FFL.

I am glad I asked here first.

I imagine there’s an M1 collector or 2 here on p-f.com that may be interested if it’s a good carbine for a good deal.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

The issue that complicates evaluating the M1 Carbine is the nature of its manufacture. Collectors look for "correct" guns. Meaning, all the parts come from the same manufacturer as it left the factory. All Winchester parts, all Springfield, etc. This did not occur with the M1 Carbine. Subcontractors were used from the very beginning. I have a National Postal Meter Carbine made in 1943. It has a barrel made by Buffalo Arms. BA was a Subcontractor for NPM, so this is actually "correct" for an NPM Carbine. This makes it a real rabbit hole when determining valuation. The casual observer may assume it's an overhaul when it's not. Most Carbines recieved the late/post war modification of a barrel band with a bayonet lug and an adjustable rear sight. Not primo on the collectable scale, but not incorrect either. If it's an actual GI Carbine in decent shape, it should be worth a grand easy.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

CMP forum has a lot of knowledgeable people willing to help.

A lot of carbines were reimported from place like Korea and have the importers stamping, sometimes not so visible under the stock on the barrel.

So many were rebuilt at the arsenals after WWII or Korea and became mixmasters in terms of parts, many of those CMP sold the last 25 years were in that category. They were indeed GI issued guns but as many as 5-6 different manufacturers as a result of the arsenal rebuild process.

Then there were generational engineering changes as WW II went on, e.g. flat bolts Vs round bolts and on and on.

As Trooper224 articulated, mixed manufacturer parts can be correct and original in many cases, depending on which of the contractor built the gun in the first place.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

I know the casual owner or someone just looking to sell one won't go down the rabbit hole but here is a rabbit hole if you're interested.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...-part-1/485927

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...%20into%201943.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...-part-3/486053

I purchased two Inlands. One I sold because the barrel was used up. The 2nd one had a newer barrel. I rebuilt that one and shoot it.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I havent seen it specifically addressed yet, but the commercially made guns are a different animal as to value and reliability. Plainfield, Universal, Iver Johnson, Auto Ordnance, and one or two or more others rode the coat tails of the carbines popularity. National Ordnance I believe used commercial receivers with GI parts, I dont know where they fit into the overall picture.

If its a commercial gun, be prepared for a much lower value.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

thanks to everyone for the info.

He told me it's a Winchester.

When I get it, I will post pics.

User Tag List