Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M1 Carbine Knowledge

Winchester receivers demand slightly higher prices even if it is a rebuild. I sold off my CMP purchased Winchester at the same time I sold 2 Inlands a few years ago and got 25% more for it, even though they were all in comparable condition.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    US gave a ton of them to Greece and Korea, and then Blue Sky imported them back. A dead giveway is obviously that it says BLUE SKY on the barrel. Another, but not to my knowledge 100% certain, way to tell is if it has a bayonet lug. Those were often added by foreign armorers. The original USGI M1 carbines didn't have them, which were mostly what we gave away (although later ones did).

Receiver manufacturer can vary but some are worth more than others, imported or otherwise.

Not usually worth terribly much unless it was not imported and has all original (or at least USGI) parts.

You now know as much as I do. I learned all this when my grandpa passed, and I got his and did some research.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    https://www.wideners.com/blog/m1-carbine/

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    cool information!
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    US gave a ton of them to Greece and Korea, and then Blue Sky imported them back. A dead giveway is obviously that it says BLUE SKY on the barrel. Another, but not to my knowledge 100% certain, way to tell is if it has a bayonet lug. Those were often added by foreign armorers. The original USGI M1 carbines didn't have them, which were mostly what we gave away (although later ones did).

Receiver manufacturer can vary but some are worth more than others, imported or otherwise.

Not usually worth terribly much unless it was not imported and has all original (or at least USGI) parts.

You now know as much as I do. I learned all this when my grandpa passed, and I got his and did some research.
    This is incorrect. The barrel band with a bayonet lug was a very late war modification by the US, not foreign countries. Very few of them saw service during WWII. The mod was incorporated at the same time as the adjustable rear sight. The non-lug band the original two position rear sight is the classic WWII configuration, and prized by collectors.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I got it today. It's a Winchester (date internet search shows mid 1944) and there are no other markings to indicate an import.

He had a spare stock, one mag, some ammo. Its missing the rear sight. The owner ran some rounds through it, and I wonder if the sight fell off then. He said it smoked heavily when he shot it. I told him it probably had some cosmoline from storage.

I suspect it has been refinished at some point. The barrel does not have any finish. The bore is very shiny.

I took it apart and surprisingly it's not in bad condition for the age. There is some rough exterior rust/pitting on the muzzle and on the edge of the bolt.

When I put it back together, the action seemed kind of springy at the rear of the stock. I kept trying to reposition but its a light springy. The barrel band was slightly twisted as the bolt threads did not line up with the hole. I used some pliers to untwist it.

what you think, all original? refinished? Around the Winchester, seems very pitty.
    Estimated sale price if possible.

Questions

In relation to the missing rear sight and obvious stake marks that failed....

is it the same front sight to be used with the various rear sights that were available? (clearer: does the front sight indicate the rear sight)

where is the best place to buy an original rear sight that does not break the bank?

the same goes for an original oil bottle so the sling can be attached correctly.

Not looking for new or perfect, but to match the carbine.

TIA

User Tag List