Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could there be a 9mm equivalent to the Georgia Arms 38 Spl self defense wadcutter?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in WV View Post

I would run a standard cast .358/148gr DEWC cast bullet through a .355 sizing die,
    I think the bullets would need to be .355". I tried my loaded round in a 9mm case gauge and it would go in with a little push. It would completely seat in the chamber of my 9mm LCR with a little push. The bullet wouldn't need to be seated any deeper than my sample. I think the fact that my bullet is .358" kept it from chambering easily. The 9mm throat kept it from fitting easily.

Tomorrow I'll load a few and try to shoot them.

The .355 sizing die "makes" a .358 into a .355. If it were me, the max I'd experiment with would be .356. A 358 bullet, unless it's dead soft, and even then, might drive pressures very high. Please take safety precautions seriously!
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia

There is a 9mm design that I feel would work better than a wadcutter. NOE still lists the 135 grain 9mm "Ranch Dog" design in their moulds, but never seem to have them in stock. There are other sources available too. I think if someone would bring out a commercial version it could very well be a winner. I do have a mould for this design with conventional lube grooves and it seems to work well in everything. I've loaded it in 9mm, 357 SIG, 38 Spl, and 357 mag with great success.

Name:  9mmranchdog.Jpg
Views: 120
Size:  63.0 KB
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Just to add fuel to the fire:
    Lyman/Ideal used to make a sorta kinda 9mm wadcutter mould. It has a fairly large button on the nose, so it looks almost like a SWC. Weight is approximately 140 grains.

The mould number is 356472, and it can be seen in this chart:
    http://three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm

I have one of these moulds, and the bullets have fed fine in the few guns I've tried. The only thing keeping me from working with it more is my mould is a single cavity, so volume casting isn't gonna happen.

I don't know if it would still feed if that nose bump was reduced, or if reducing it would even be desirable. Even with it, it cuts clean holes in paper...if that transfers to flesh.
    I do think it would make a good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Here's a solid copper wadcutter in .38: https://precisiononeammunition.com/p...48gr-cpwc-new/

A possibility for 9mm revolver loads?
    Copper plated. Look like Berry’s or Xtreme bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I don't know if there is a sufficient market to warrant a load specific to that exact criteria. That said, one never knows. If you create a truly excellent load that excels in certain aspects, it may do better than one would expect.

I can say that I just recently replaced the .38 Special 148 grain wadcutter load that I offered with a poly-coated version and almost immediately they sold out. In fact I have to finish packaging and put a bunch more on the site tomorrow. To a degree, it is hard to anticipate what will be popular with consumers and what will not.
    And who is going to email you 20 times then ghost
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Copper plated. Look like Berry’s or Xtreme bullets.
    Good catch. They're using a jacketed Zero wadcutter.
    https://www.powdervalley.com/product...l-148-gr-hbwc/
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good catch. They're using a jacketed Zero wadcutter.
    https://www.powdervalley.com/product...l-148-gr-hbwc/
    AFAIK, Zero doesn't make a jacketed or plated wadcutter. Swaged lead HBWC is all they make, I think. Berrys does make plated DEWC and HBWC. I think one of the other plated bullet companies also makes them.

As an aside, a true jacketed, sharp shoulder wadcutter bullet loaded in .38 Special would catch my eye. I also wonder if a DEWC could be made of solid copper and still retain enough weight to penetrate, without eating up all the case capacity and driving pressures too high. Say a 110 or 120gr solid copper wadcutter, maybe even with a bit of a dish in the nose to help it "catch" on things like bone or auto windshields, and not be deflected as much.

Stuffing a sharp shouldered, flat nosed full wadcutter bullet flush into a 9x19 case is going to eat up 80-90% of case capacity if you want it to weigh enough to penetrate 12+ inches. Not really feasible, pressure, bullet weight, and velocity wise. Revolver cartridges are better for this sort of thing, mostly because they were invented when black powder was still a thing, and decent velocity required more case capacity, so now there is a lot of extra space in there with your 3 grains of smokeless and HBWC bullet.

User Tag List