Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense larger Glock to replace G19? Worth it?

Site Supporter

Home Defense larger Glock to replace G19? Worth it?

Hey Gang,

Due to family/lifestyle I am going down from AR/Pistol to just a pistol for home defense. Thus far I have used a Glock 19, with NS and a x300 as a backup to the rifle. Now considering an optics mounted larger glock like a 34/17 MOS (Or do i need a 47 instead). Question is: is the juice worth the squeeze?. I have small hands but may gain something from the optic and larger frame pistol? Also some additional training time for the optic. Looking for some advice from some of you who may have been down this road before.

Thanks!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Hey Gang,

Due to family/lifestyle I am going down from AR/Pistol to just a pistol for home defense. Thus far I have used a Glock 19, with NS and a x300 as a backup to the rifle. Now considering an optics mounted larger glock like a 34/17 MOS (Or do i need a 47 instead). Question is: is the juice worth the squeeze?. I have small hands but may gain something from the optic and larger frame pistol? Also some additional training time for the optic. Looking for some advice from some of you who may have been down this road before.

Thanks!

Unless you have a specific need to add an additional pistol, definitely not, if the G19 isn't squirming out of your hands. Just stick a 17 or 19 round mag in the 19 and roll!

ETA: missed the optic part- sometimes changing guns is the easiest way to add optics capability.

I have a G17 I use for nightstand duty. I'd not worry at all were I to replace it with my 19. I only bought the 17 some years ago, because I never had one. I've had my 19 since 1988.

Opinions may differ, but that's mine. The 19 is more than competent.

I don't have an optic on any of my defensive pistols...and only a light on the nightstand gun.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Only an individual anecdote. A G19 is just fine unless you just want another gun. I had a 19 but moving to a ban state (my choice, personal) I decided EDC would be a 10 round G26, which I like just just fine - or within my confidence level of ability. I have two G17, Gen 4 and 5 which I bought mainly for matches. With my small to medicum hands, I like the grips with finger grove on the Gen 4 but the flatter Gen 5 is equally grippable. The Gen 4 is staged along with the 26 for HD. The Gen 5 is a dot gun and I'm not where I want to be with it for emergency usage.

I don't see a need for a 17 with significant variance over a 19. If you carry, a 19 is easier by a bit. However, I encourage buying it, if it doesn't screw the budget and you have to buy new drapes. Sidebar - bought my 1911. Wife said, if you can buy that, the living room needs new drapes. Compromise is fine. Moved and those drapes are useless. The 1911 isn't.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

The juice is not worth the squeeze.

I’d rather have a second Glock 19. That way you don’t have different feeling guns. You’d have a backup to your carry gun should you use it in self defense and it’s taken into custody until the legal proceedings are done. You can always put a Glock 17 magazine in the gun when it’s protecting the home. But personally I wouldn’t sweat the 2 round difference.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post

I’d rather have a second Glock 19. That way you don’t have different feeling guns. You’d have a backup to your carry gun should you use it in self defense and it’s taken into custody until the legal proceedings are done. You can always put a Glock 17 magazine in the gun when it’s protecting the home. But personally I wouldn’t sweat the 2 round difference.
    Name:  20240112_093756.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  69.6 KB

Yep.

I am not real knowledgeable on Glocks but I do talk w/ guys at matches. It used to be that you can't put a 19 slide on a 17 frame but that has changed. If I were looking at another Glock I'd research the newer models and look at the sleeves for putting a longer mag in a shorter grip. As I understand it you can mix and match grip size and slide length much more readily than used to be the case.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post

Sweet! I’ve got 3 19s. One gen 5, gen 2, gen 3.

I certainly wouldn't say having more than one Glock is a bad idea if you have the funds. Especially if you want to try out using an RDS and leave one gun with iron sights. I have more than I really need and am still thinking about buying more.

If you don't have the funds, or just don't want another gun for some reason, throw a LTT Grip Anchor on the 19 and it gives you 95% of the benefit of the longer grip on the full size Glocks.

https://langdontactical.com/grip-anc...-the-glock-19/

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Sweet! I’ve got 3 19s. One gen 5, gen 2, gen 3.
    Sounds like you're good to go.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List