Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An airplane crashed in my city and now I have a WML question

For context, I use WMLs as an average guy in a concealed carry application.

Second what pretty much everyone has said about the value of a higher candela light in settings with mixed lighting, window tinting, etc. When carrying a WML, these days it's either an X300T or Modlite PL350 (I prefer the latter for its rechargable battery and better balance of spill/throw, though the former is slightly shorter and therefore a bit more comfortable worn AIWB).

Prior to the existence of the Modlite offering, I used X300Us, and before that, TLR-1 HLs. I used the X300U in a couple different low-light classes. It worked well enough on the square range, but that was in ideal conditions with minimal ambient light. Likewise, inside a pitch black shoothouse, it worked quite well. Inside a well-illuminated shoothouse, I experimented with using the X300U to "blind" a role player during force-on-force; the role player reported it had no effect on him. Inside a shoothouse illuminated moderately-well by ambient daytime light streaming in through the windows, I found the TLR-1 HL provided insufficient illumination to PID a target about ten yards away—the light just didn't have enough power to overcome the ambient light (granted, it was a 2D paper target and a role player holding a weapon might have been more easily identified).

At this point, my X300U lives on a dedicated nightstand gun because I do appreciate the diffuse lighting inside my house where my longest shot is 12 yards. Out and about, where I'm more likely to encounter mixed lighting conditions, it's a Modlite or Turbo on my gun. If I were carrying in a professional application, I'd absolutely be carrying Modlite or a Turbo.

The TLR-1 HL and X300 Ultra were great lights in their day when they were the best thing on the market, but time marches on.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The warmth also increases color rendering index.
    There is no real relationship between temperature and CRI. An obvious example would be sodium lamps, which typically are in the 2000 K range, yet also have CRIs well below 50, which is substantially worse than mainstream LEDs. On the flip side, there are many LEDs in the 5000 K to 6500 K range that can have CRIs well above 90. Hell, natural sunlight is typically 5000 K, while daylight in general can range from 4000 K to 6500 K, and will have a CRI of 100.

This has been an educational read. Thanks!

Having been retired from LEO-ing for six years, I have not been actively following the WML trends, but now that I know and understand the advantages of the X300T, over my X300U, upgrading would be a best practice.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    During my breif LE time my agency issued me a TLR1. I used my own X300T instead. The TLR1 didn't have enough distance when in rural areas. The hotspot was far brighter, and the spill was nearly as good. While the X300U has more lumens, it has less candela.

My issued TLR1s vs X300T.

Within structures, baseboard lighting or umbrella lighting still worked fine. I liked the option of more light, and further light.

Then again, most got on fine with TLR1s with half dead batteries. A pistol WML isn't used nearly as much as a handheld right?

If the kid is a go getter, or a ranger joe type, he could always buy his own 300T and use it. The other guys wouldn't tell the difference looking at it, and he'd have more light when he wants it.
    I sure wish Streamlight would make a TLR-1 HC. Their version of the 300T.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I sure wish Streamlight would make a TLR-1 HC. Their version of the 300T.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    I'm sure they will sooner than later. The brand new HLX Pro is 50,000 Candela

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I'm sure they will sooner than later. The brand new HLX Pro is 50,000 Candela
    The regular HLX was also updated to the newer 50k candela head.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RennBaer View Post
    The regular HLX was also updated to the newer 50k candela head.
    Oh? That's good news. Not seeing that on the site

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Oh? That's good news. Not seeing that on the site
    I think the only difference between the HL-X and HL-X Pro is the tailcap; the Pro comes with a combination clicky/tapeswitch tailcap, while the non-Pro you have to choose between the clicky and the tapeswitch (though the kit comes with both).

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post

For those of you who have more recently attended low-light training (white light...not NV):

What am I missing?
    Is the X300U now considered not bright enough?
    What is the current thought process on WML usage and has training changed in the past 10 years?
    Hopefully you got the answers you needed Kevin. If not, I'll be in your immediate area from next Thursday on for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    You need to host Cougar Mountain Solutions Low=light Instructor Class taught by Erick Gelhaus. Photonic barriers, your City has them. I'm biased; I helped teach the first class. Seriously, give Erick a call or email and he will explain. Short answer: buy the 300Turbos. More light is almost always better and the reflections off white walls thing is solved by technique.
    Thank you, my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Hopefully you got the answers you needed Kevin. If not, I'll be in your immediate area from next Thursday on for a few days.

Thank you, my friend!
    Hi Erick. I think I have a general idea, but honestly have been too busy to dive deeper into it since I posted on here. I'll shoot you a text later today or tomorrow.

User Tag List