Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Stoeger -- People don't understand red dots

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yes and I suspect soft focus irons is what the old Cooper /Gunsite crowd was referring to as “flash sight picture.”
    Look at the target, react to seeing a flash sight picture over or near enough the target....

Sounds like Stoeger talking about confirmation schemes.

I think we all know most or none of these ideas are truly new, however they can be very helpful to people who have institutional inertia of "front sight focus! Slow down and get your hits!"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Look at the target, react to seeing a flash sight picture over or near enough the target....

Sounds like Stoeger talking about confirmation schemes.

I think we all know most or none of these ideas are truly new, however they can be very helpful to people who have institutional inertia of "front sight focus! Slow down and get your hits!"
    Definitely not a new concept but personally, I feel that the Cooper-ites, who were one primary groups responsible for the institutional inertia of “Front Sight Focus!” (The other being PPC shooters) threw the term around as though it was self evident, but did a very poor job explaining what it was and how it worked. Or perhaps, they didn’t actually understand how it worked. Just that it did. Unfortunately, hoping that concept will filter out to people via osmosis without actually articulating the details is an instructional fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    There are two reasons to look at a small spot on the target.

1. "Aim small, miss small". When you snap your eyes to a precise place on the target, you can train to make the dot appear near that spot and your bullets end up where you look.

2. Target focus. It's harder to focus on a big brown thing than on a small part of it. And it's easy to get drawn in to the dot and start following it with your eyes instead of looking where you want the dot to stop.

This is not as easy as it sounds, and even the highest level shooters are working on doing it more better.

Why don't your eyes work that way? Are you sure it's not possible with some work? I like putting a white paster or piece of black tape on targets for this sort of practice.
    The piece of black tape is a "cheat code". Ben said this in his class. It helps show you why focusing on a spot is important but take it away and the accuracy degrades.

And thus the problem for me: I can focus on a specific black paster on a brown target, but I can't pick out a brown spot on a brown target if there's no differentiation. Like if I stare at a white wall I can't pick a "spot" on the wall, it's all the same, but I can focus generally on the center of the wall or target and be not focused on the dot. I'm not dot focused, but target focused even if I don't look to a specific spot.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    The piece of black tape is a "cheat code". Ben said this in his class. It helps show you why focusing on a spot is important but take it away and the accuracy degrades.

And thus the problem for me: I can focus on a specific black paster on a brown target, but I can't pick out a brown spot on a brown target if there's no differentiation. Like if I stare at a white wall I can't pick a "spot" on the wall, it's all the same, but I can focus generally on the center of the wall or target and be not focused on the dot. I'm not dot focused, but target focused even if I don't look to a specific spot.
    It’s hard, and I’ve struggled as well. I’ve been picking visible irregularities/spots on the walkthrough and try to look for them when I’m shooting. I definitely don’t find them all, but I think it keeps me more “vision fuckus”.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

It’s hard, and I’ve struggled as well. I’ve been picking visible irregularities/spots on the walkthrough and try to look for them when I’m shooting. I definitely don’t find them all, but I think it keeps me more “vision fuckus”.
    I also have struggled with this. Max Michel described a method of shooting steel, where you look for a border of white around your dot, as a go signal to fire. I have started a similar thing with paper, where I look for an appropriate amount of brown in the right area around my dot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Yes he did JCS & when Joel stopped applying them to targets it got real/more difficult IMO.

ETA - it was good to have ya @ the class, like being able to match a face to screen name & you shot very well but no surprise here.

YES.
    Except more so.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Yes he did JCS & when Joel stopped applying them to targets it got real/more difficult IMO.

ETA - it was good to have ya @ the class, like being able to match a face to screen name & you shot very well but no surprise here.
    Same it was great to meet ya. You were an excellent host for the class. Glad your survived the second class. My hands were so beat up after 2 days I don't know how y'all got through another two days of class.

Ben had a really good explanation of the black pasters or using black dots on dry fire targets as aiming points on the latest PTSG podcast. It's towards the end, maybe last 5-10 minutes.

User Tag List