Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Stoeger -- People don't understand red dots

At Gunsite rifle classes and reunions, during Col Cooper's ownership, we routinely shot launched shot clay pigeons with bolt rifles. I was once lucky enough to break two in a row using Finn Aagard's Mauser .30-06 with a 1.75-6 Leupold. Definitely target focusing, but we didn't really dwell on that concept back then, beyond a low power scope was what you wanted.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I still resist/resent/refuse the added cost and complexity but I suppose as my eyes get worse and worse maybe the cost & bulk & complexity tradeoff becomes more worthwhile.
    Yup, this is where I was too, until last summer. The combination of aging eyes and my first set of progressive lenses is what put me over the hump. I didn’t want to [insert toddler wail: “I donWANNA!] think about the hassle, considerable expense, or aesthetics of adding RDS to a my handguns. Then I realized that a hard front sight focus is no longer possible, and I DO WANNA keep shooting, so I’m down the rabbit hole. It’s a mixed bag, so far, and don’t get me started on freaking plate systems…🙄

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    Yup, this is where I was too, until last summer. The combination of aging eyes and my first set of progressive lenses is what put me over the hump. I didn’t want to [insert toddler wail: “I donWANNA!] think about the hassle, considerable expense, or aesthetics of adding RDS to a my handguns. Then I realized that a hard front sight focus is no longer possible, and I DO WANNA keep shooting, so I’m down the rabbit hole. It’s a mixed bag, so far, and don’t get me started on freaking plate systems…🙄
    Do target focus irons work for you?

Site Supporter
    Target focus allowed me to shoot my 1911 decently, as mentioned in another thread. However, I would like the opportunity to actually see the front sight - LOL. Is that a strange desire?
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Target focus allowed me to shoot my 1911 decently, as mentioned in another thread. However, I would like the opportunity to actually see the front sight - LOL. Is that a strange desire?
    Be careful, that is a slippery slope.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Do target focus irons work for you?
    I honestly haven’t tried it much. We’ll see how the Rogers Revolver Round-up goes, because I don’t have any RDS equipped revos.

I’ll have to play with target-focused irons— I’ll search up a thread, I’m sure there’s one here…

I can imagine it works for relatively coarse accuracy requirements, but I think about the head-shots I used to make on jackrabbits with my 22/45, at distance. I can’t imagine that sort of thing is possible…

The Pole Dancing analogy really spoke to me for some reason.

Isn't this what Frank Proctor was teaching years ago with "seeing through the sights"?

Tbh I've always done this. I can see my sights are aligned without staring at the front. Most of my sights are fiber fronts though. My revolvers are either black or orange insert. I haven't had many issues with the technique. I am moving to dots though.

Thank you @feudist.That video, as the majority of this thread, helps, a lot.

I am NOT googling "Pole Dancing" though I was tempted

I have apparently been BS'ing myself on several points. It's nice to know, even at my age, I can still learn. Thanks all!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Isn't this what Frank Proctor was teaching years ago with "seeing through the sights"?

Tbh I've always done this. I can see my sights are aligned without staring at the front. Most of my sights are fiber fronts though. My revolvers are either black or orange insert. I haven't had many issues with the technique. I am moving to dots though.
    Yes and I suspect soft focus irons is what the old Cooper /Gunsite crowd was referring to as “flash sight picture.”

User Tag List