Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoeger -- People don't understand red dots

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Reading this page, it would appear that the dot should work like my mouse pointer on the computer screen. I don't look the pointer onto the thing I want to click- I look at the thing I want to click and move the pointer there- and then click.

But I could be wrong.
    YES.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    With irons I really do need to draw my focus back to the FS to get the hit. I’m really, really sure of that. What I do with a dot is really different.

I think.
    Shoot a dot for a while then see how you do with irons using target focus / soft sight picture. You may surprise your self.

Going back to your discussion with Clusterfrack:

Dot size can be a factor as well.

I’ve come to prefer larger dots (5-6 MOA) because I find them slightly quicker to acquire while at reasonable brightness.

Some argue for smaller dots claiming simply “blooming” them is the equivalent of a larger dot but IMHO running a dot too bright is a recipe for losing target focus and getting sucked into the dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Reading this page, it would appear that the dot should work like my mouse pointer on the computer screen. I don't look the pointer onto the thing I want to click- I look at the thing I want to click and move the pointer there- and then click.

But I could be wrong.
    I've heard a couple high level competitive shooters describe target transitions, whether dots or irons, using that same analogy.

A follow-on video

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I've heard a couple high level competitive shooters describe target transitions, whether dots or irons, using that same analogy.
    First guy I personally ever heard explain it that way was Frank Garcia. Had to be 10-15 years ago now.

IIRC he suggested going “dry” transitions with your finger during down time off the range. Look at something with your eyes, point at it, look to another point, move finger.

I definitely found many of the things Frank taught at the time to be new to me and also very helpful.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Just a few thoughts on shooting with occluded optics:

Now, in Olympic rifle shooting, a white translucent occluder (on the non dominant eye) generally creates a more relaxed visual experience than a solid black occluder, at least for some shooters, and that seems to be because both pupils can receive the same general light level. Obviously this involves an occluder on the eye itself, so the pupillary dilation factor doesn’t apply for our discussion of the RDS, but I found myself wondering if the general principle might apply to an RDS for a different reason. I wondered if the reduced apparent visual contrast from occlusion with the same overall light transmission through the RDS, but with no possibility of focus beyond the RDS lens, might make a positive difference.
    Nra/NCAA and ISSF "Olympic rifle" smallbore events have shooters on the line focusing on a target for way longer than most defensive /sport pistol shooters are used to. Generically NRA gives you a 1 min /shot prone 1.5 min/shot kneeling , 2 min/shot standing (60/120 shot format 3p, usually 160 shot prone) and ISSF (electronic target) gives you 50 min prone (60 shot) and 1hr 30 min for 3p (60 shot). Even restarting your shot cycle every 3-7 seconds to rebuild position /ensure sufficient oxygen to the brain the eye strain can be considerable. Shooters experience less eye fatigue with translucent blinders
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    A follow-on video
    I liked how he answered softball comments but something that challenged a notion of continuous target focusing with the dot wasn't worth a reply.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I liked how he answered softball comments but something that challenged a notion of continuous target focusing with the dot wasn't worth a reply.
    Maybe contact him through Instagram if you are wanting to discuss more specifics.

Maybe contact him through Instagram if you are wanting to discuss more specifics.
    I would have to create an instagram account for that. I could but the definitive answer here lies in self-exploration and reflection on your own shooting. I simply wanted to see if he'd venture into something that requires more granularity than "look at the targe, gun goes where you look" that I've heard for like 5 years now.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

A follow-on video

I thought this was pretty good. A lot of the pistol dot stuff seems to be somewhat old hat for rifle dot shooters.

I can also see where (now that my eyes don't work either) trying to find a dot focus that I'm physically incapable of doing due to eyesight issues could really slow things down and lead to inconsistent results.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List