Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoeger -- People don't understand red dots

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I think its funny we had the exact same experience, but then reached the same conclusion. My reaction on day 1 was "ah crap I'll have to sell it and get a manual red model" but by day 3 I was at "eh its worth it as a carry/defensive dot still" and after 2 weeks and shooting it twice including side by side with a red dot again, I was completely on board and preferred the green. I actually put green fiber rods in my other 2 Glocks and sold the red dot on my AR to get a green Holosun!
    Agreed. I seem to pick up the green better, and should’ve known to give it more time because I’ve got green X-ray sights on a 365 & a 228 and a Warren green fiber front on an M&P and really like them. Something about the novelty of that electronic dot in my face confused my inner fudd!

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I am that guy, although I’m working hard at true target focus. I was convinced that the green reticle in the SCS wasn’t usable for me since it appears more distorted than red WHEN I STARE AT IT. When I went back and truly focused on the target, I perceive them both about the same, with minimal distortion. Such a surprise that if I use the tool properly it works as intended…
    What you just described is the primary seller of 1x prism sights on AR-15s. The lack of target focus is an issue in the rifle world as well and the driver of every forum post that begins with "I have an astigmatism and can't use red dots...".

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    What you just described is the primary seller of 1x prism sights on AR-15s. The lack of target focus is an issue in the rifle world as well and the driver of every forum post that begins with "I have an astigmatism and can't use red dots...".
    You’re saying the lack of target focus helps 1x prism sights? I don’t follow.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    You’re saying the lack of target focus helps 1x prism sights? I don’t follow.
    No. I'm saying that lack of target focus with rifle red dots makes people think their astigmatism makes the sight unusable for them, so they buy 1x prism sights.

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    No. I'm saying that lack of target focus with rifle red dots makes people think their astigmatism makes the sight unusable for them, so they buy 1x prism sights.
    Ok, that makes sense.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Timely as usual GJM as I’ve got Ben & Joel back again in 2 weeks for Fundamentals (few slots left) then his how to train (Skills & Drills) class the following 2 days.

Site Supporter
    Looks like I have something to work on with both red dots and irons when I can get back to the range.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Man…

I had such a strong dot focus (didn’t think I did). That I occluded the dot recently and was like “I think I have a visual issue”. It *really* takes a lot to focus there - I also have the same vision in both eyes and don’t have a strong dominance.

So. I wonder if that’s a factor. I was going to come explain I was broken to the forum.
    God Bless,

Brandon

One thing I constantly have issues with regarding 'picking a small spot' is that often times at the range, I'm shooting a shaded IPSC that has no spots to focus on. A lot of times it's a single flat tone of brown. I catch myself halfway through shooting rapid fire strings is I eventually start staring at the dot since it's the only thing I can honestly stay visually connected to since my RMR is typically cranked all the way up from how sunny the area is around here.

The idea that, like trigger control, a person has to work at staying focused on a precise spot on the target, and not focusing on the dot, was driven home for me this past weekend. I shot an entire match with the dot occluded. Twice I got the "blue screen of death," because I got lazy, and didn't pick a precise spot on the target, and my eyes tried to "find" the dot. Except for those two times, the dot was always showed up where it was supposed to be, whether off the draw, a wide transition, hard lean, etc, but as soon as I got lazy about target focus, all I got was blue painter's tape, and no dot.

User Tag List