Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoeger -- People don't understand red dots

Stoeger -- People don't understand red dots

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I was this person 2019-2021. I didn't understand the need to look at a precise point on the target and I put a whole lot of effort into finding and picking up the dot and then stared at it. Ironically, the clue of depth of focus when I went back to irons in 2022 showed me I was in fact NOT target focusing and I learned from Stoeger to look at precise points. I just went back to a dot after a year and a half of target focused irons and its really nice to know what I was doing wrong before.
    Last edited by Noah; 02-21-2024 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I was this person 2019-2021. I didn't understand the need to look at a precise point on the target and I put a whole lot of effort into finding and picking up the dot and then stared at it. Ironically, the clue of depth of focus when I went back to irons in 2022 showed me I was in fact NOT target focusing and I learned from Stoeger to look at precise points. I just went back to a dot after a year and a half of target focused irons and its really nice to know what I was doing wrong before.
    I bought a roll of neon green 1.5" stickers to help me learn target focus at 25 yards. For closer-in distances, I look at the "X" in the x-ring

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RHPG3PJ/
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I bought a roll of neon green 1.5" stickers to help me learn target focus at 25 yards. For closer-in distances, I look at the "X" in the x-ring

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RHPG3PJ/
    Smart! Most of my live fire is B8s at 5-20y using hit factor scoring looking at the X, and my dry fire is using scaled IDPA targets with blue painters tape spots in the A zone

Thanks for posting this. I am that guy, although I’m working hard at true target focus. I was convinced that the green reticle in the SCS wasn’t usable for me since it appears more distorted than red WHEN I STARE AT IT. When I went back and truly focused on the target, I perceive them both about the same, with minimal distortion. Such a surprise that if I use the tool properly it works as intended…

I've been target focused in my "real sport" for 41 years and I still have to consciously work at this with my RDS pistols each and every time I take a sight picture. I have some thoughts on how dot size, window size, and illumination levels affect this, but will stay in my lane here.

However, I would encourage people to experiment with how those factors affect the goal, and make their own conclusions.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I am that guy, although I’m working hard at true target focus. I was convinced that the green reticle in the SCS wasn’t usable for me since it appears more distorted than red WHEN I STARE AT IT. When I went back and truly focused on the target, I perceive them both about the same, with minimal distortion. Such a surprise that if I use the tool properly it works as intended…
    Did you decide to keep it? I had a similar experience but have come to like the green and decided the SCS is worth it as a carry dot to live with even if it's isn't as perfect for shooting B8s.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Did you decide to keep it? I had a similar experience but have come to like the green and decided the SCS is worth it as a carry dot to live with even if it's isn't as perfect for shooting B8s.
    I did. I’ve got a bad habit of making snap decisions sometimes and have a cabinet full of parts and a few regrets to show for it. After LARPing around the house with each one back to back several times, I came to the conclusion that when used properly there isn’t really a discernible difference in the clarity of the dot between green and red. The thing that was discernible to my eye was how good the SCS is at auto adjusting to a usable brightness. It seems maybe always just a tad bright, but significantly better than trying to find one setting on the EPS that works in a dim basement as well as out a window towards sunlight. I think you’re spot on that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. The reduced size, even compared to the EPS Carrry, is just gravy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    I did. I’ve got a bad habit of making snap decisions sometimes and have a cabinet full of parts and a few regrets to show for it. After LARPing around the house with each one back to back several times, I came to the conclusion that when used properly their isn’t really a discernible difference in the clarity of the dot between green and red. The thing that was discernible to my eye was how good the SCS is at auto adjusting to a usable brightness. It seems maybe always just a tad bright, but significantly better than trying to find one setting on the EPS that works in a dim basement as well as out a window towards sunlight. I think you’re spot on that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. The reduced size, even compared to the EPS Carrry, is just gravy.
    I think its funny we had the exact same experience, but then reached the same conclusion. My reaction on day 1 was "ah crap I'll have to sell it and get a manual red model" but by day 3 I was at "eh its worth it as a carry/defensive dot still" and after 2 weeks and shooting it twice including side by side with a red dot again, I was completely on board and preferred the green. I actually put green fiber rods in my other 2 Glocks and sold the red dot on my AR to get a green Holosun!

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Oddly enough, when you shoot a lot of shotgun you don't really have that problem. You get pretty used to looking through even iron sights and a lot of stuff becomes easier.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List