Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoeger -- People don't understand red dots

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Interesting discussion. You seem to be using an outcome measure (hit vs miss) to determine whether you were target focused or not. I am trying to understand clues as to whether I am focusing on the dot, rather than the target, and then figure out how to shift my focus on the fly. That is a work in process.

Secondary question is does target vs dot focus primarily influence accuracy, speed or some combination?
    Yes -- my perception of whether I'm target- or dot-focused is not trustworthy. I believe I can tell by the effect. If I can get a hit at distance *quicker* (note outcome delta is not effect but speed) with a dot site, I *must* be TF (or there would be no point to being TF, with respect to speed and accuracy - a dot is just a really bright front sight, and I miraculously got better at shooting while practicing less). Using the negative example, if my PID goes to shit in a dark room and that wasn't typically a problem for me before, I *must* be DF or there's no PID point to TF. We're getting pretty close to Pascal's wager here.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    ...a dot is just a really bright front sight
    Have you tried turning the dot down to where you can barely see it? I like that as a way to work on focusing intently on a small target spot.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Have you tried turning the dot down to where you can barely see it? I like that as a way to work on focusing intently on a small target spot.
    To be careful about what you quoted, I do not believe that a dot is supposed to be used as a front sight. I look at the target, move the pistol, and the dot appears over the target to confirm what is already beginning as a trigger press (it reminds me of the press out).

I do adjust the dot down when messing with precision, because it lets me focus on a particular area of the target without the bloom obscuring it.
    Ignore Alien Orders

To be careful about what you quoted, I do not believe that a dot is supposed to be used as a front sight. I look at the target, move the pistol, and the dot appears over the target to confirm what is already beginning as a trigger press (it reminds me of the press out).

I do adjust the dot down when messing with precision, because it lets me focus on a particular area of the target without the bloom obscuring it.
    I understood you. I just find it interesting and useful to turn it down for some drills. For sure, if I'm shooting groups at 25+ I turn the brightness down a lot. But also, sometimes I'll shoot doubles, practical accuracy, or fast transitions with a dim dot.

I understood you. I just find it interesting and useful to turn it down for some drills. For sure, if I'm shooting groups at 25+ I turn the brightness down a lot. But also, sometimes I'll shoot doubles, practical accuracy, or fast transitions with a dim dot.
    that’s interesting and I haven’t tried that. With a dimmer dot, are you slower or faster on the draw or transitions? Are your hits better?
    Ignore Alien Orders

that’s interesting and I haven’t tried that. With a dimmer dot, are you slower or faster on the draw or transitions? Are your hits better?
    Speed is typically worse, but it's a good way to train my eyes to look where the bullets go and not follow the dot. I don't do it a lot, but if I feel like I'm getting visually lazy during a session, a dim dot seems to help.

Speed is typically worse, but it's a good way to train my eyes to look where the bullets go and not follow the dot. I don't do it a lot, but if I feel like I'm getting visually lazy during a session, a dim dot seems to help.
    Stoeger talks about varying the dot intensity to learn how that affects you. Too dim, on a stage, and I am a slug, but too bright and I feel like I have Rudolph the reindeer on my pistol. As an aside, I need to look at what intensity the SCS picks, using its sensors.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    . Doesn't mean target focus is bad, and it is a good thing, but just realize it is today's thing.
    With irons I really do need to draw my focus back to the FS to get the hit. I’m really, really sure of that. What I do with a dot is really different.

I think.
    Ignore Alien Orders

With irons I really do need to draw my focus back to the FS to get the hit. I’m really, really sure of that. What I do with a dot is really different.

I think.
    But do you really?

Reading this page, it would appear that the dot should work like my mouse pointer on the computer screen. I don't look the pointer onto the thing I want to click- I look at the thing I want to click and move the pointer there- and then click.

But I could be wrong.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List