Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are modern 22 LR so unreliable?

Ive seen many people comment online about how many failures theyve had with various cheap grade ammo, Ive had very very few, even with the cheap stuff. Ive wondered if the gun type may matter, I mostly shoot hammer fired guns, K-22, Single Six, Marlin 39, and Ruger MkII target, and all have factory springs. Most will go many many rounds with no cleaning or help before they start getting gummy or slot to load or eject or whatever. The old Winchester Wildcats were cheap and available in the 80s and 90s, I shot a LOT of it, it was pretty reliable. The recent Rem stuff comes in for a bit of grief online, but its been fine in the few cases ive shot of it.

I dont doubt people have had the problems they say, it just makes me wonder what guns they shoot it in and if they ever clean them. I dont clean mine all that often but they should go 1000 rds or more before needing any real attention, some go quite a bit more like the Marlin.The Colt 22 1911 conversion kit is the only one that comes to mind as being sensitive to needing cleaning more often than others The floating chamber get funky if not kept reasonably clean, like every 500 or so rds of cheap stuff.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    My TX22's and LCR .22LR are boringly reliable. The ammo is sometimes up for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    My TX22's and LCR .22LR are boringly reliable. The ammo is sometimes up for debate.
    Mine are as well, along with my old 10/22. My TX compact and LCR are remarkably reliable. I initially wondered if it was just a fluke. Now I'm simply convinced they just work. I keep them lubed and probably actually deep clean them less than i should.
    I'm good with that.

CCI are my obvious favorite . 22 ammo, but not enough issues with lots of various bulk to be any concern, rare enough to not have many specific recollections.

I did have a little Beretta 21A that had regular issues. Kind of soured me on the whole idea of a pocket rimfire automatic.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I did have a little Beretta 21A that had regular issues. Kind of soured me on the whole idea of a pocket rimfire automatic.
    same here, almost ran well with Federal Gold Medal when perfectly clean, but still never trustworthy

The original Henry and Winchester 1866 .44 Rimfires had dual firing pins/strikers so that if one hit a void in the priming the other probably would not, I have long thought that design added to modern rimfires would eliminate a lot of the ammo related failures because with most of those duds I have spun the cartridge to a different point and it went off.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    I'll have you know that my $65 used Jennings J-22 can get through an entire 6 round clip of CCI Mini Mags without a hickup...as long as you have just cleaned it prior to firing that clip...
    My first carry gun was a $0.00 Jennings J-22; which would reliably go 40 rounds of some bulk pack it liked okay to 50 rounds of 40 grain round nose CCI Mini-Mag between cleanings. I sometimes miss the little thing.

Site Supporter
    I had a Taurus PT-22 that was a horror as to loading and chambering a round. I've seen the Beretta 21 do the same. I was wondering more about failure to ignite as that seems to be the 'expert' opinion.

That being said, I know all the pro and con 22 SD issues. Wouldn't do it myself unless my hands failed. So far not. I can get through matches with 9s and 45s of standard loads with no noticeable ouchy.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

My SW MP .22C is 100% with Minimags. It has recently shot all the Aguilas I put in it now that it is "broken in."

A guy at the plinker match had a CCI SV misfire, which was a stunner.

There is a perception of lower ammo quality in the Covid Years.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I frequently recommend .22 pistol or .22 rifle (M&P 15-22) for SD IF the shooter feels comfortable in its use. Arthritic hands, new shooter, recoil sensitive are some of the factors that plays into this decision. Also less expensive option in firearms and ammo, especially if they are going to practice is a consideration. Several 22s placed on an attacker's nose is pretty effective. Once confident and proficient they can always step up in caliber as experience permits. Certainly a much better initial choice for those I noted than a snub .38.
    Last edited by chances R; 02-21-2024 at 09:53 AM. Reason: addition

The obvious solution is .22 in a revolver!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List