Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are modern 22 LR so unreliable?

Site Supporter

Are modern 22 LR so unreliable?

Every time, I read a thread somewhere on carrying a 22 LR for SD, someone pipes up that they won't do that because they are so unreliable. Are they? I've had very few quality modern 22 LRs not fire. I've had a jam or two but I can't recall a round that didn't go off in a Buckmark, 10/22, G44 or even a NAA Mini.

So as one might expect, is it Internet BS by the 'expert'.

The last failure to fire I had was those Magtech 32 SW LRN, that I posted with a picture of how the primer didn't ident. Noted all the other 32s did fine with that gun for several years.

Seen lots of 9mm duds or KBs from home brew. Last KB blew up a guy's Hellcat.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Last I checked 22lr was running me 8 failures per 1000 or so. Shot out of a ruger 22/45,10/22 and smith 43c. Most of it was cci but plenty of bulk packs of various makes. This was before 2021 when I was more frequently shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Every time, I read a thread somewhere on carrying a 22 LR for SD, someone pipes up that they won't do that because they are so unreliable. Are they? I've had very few quality modern 22 LRs not fire. I've had a jam or two but I can't recall a round that didn't go off in a Buckmark, 10/22, G44 or even a NAA Mini.

So as one might expect, is it Internet BS by the 'expert'.

The last failure to fire I had was those Magtech 32 SW LRN, that I posted with a picture of how the primer didn't ident. Noted all the other 32s did fine with that gun for several years.

Seen lots of 9mm duds or KBs from home brew. Last KB blew up a guy's Hellcat.
    I think that there is a place for the .22LR with some caveats.

CCI Mini-Mags are very, very good in terms of ignition reliability. I've fired maybe 10,000 in the last year and a half and had zero failures to touch off a round, not even so much as a double strike has been needed.

Since .22 Long Rifle hollow points are unlikely to expand from typical pistol barrels (2 - 6 inches), I'd recommend the CCI 40-grain CPRN (or the SGB) for its tendency towards better feed reliability and to maximize penetration depth which may suffer with such a diminutive projectile. Plan on multiple shots to stop a threat; train to manually cycle a semi-automatic if used or to just pull the trigger again with a revolver.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    I have had misfires. Not a regular thing for most of what I shoot, but it does happen.

I’ve been pretty lucky even with Federal Black Pack and Auto Match. Then again, I’m using an LCR .22 which is a joy to own and shoot. I’ve had one failure to fire in 4,000+ rounds through my LCR and I’ve ran just about every reputable brand through it.

I'll have you know that my $65 used Jennings J-22 can get through an entire 6 round clip of CCI Mini Mags without a hickup...as long as you have just cleaned it prior to firing that clip.

This was a Claude Werner old man gun experiment I did before Ruger came out with the LCP.

Both of my 22/45s would probably run 500 rounds of Mini Mags without a cleaning.

But Rugers just don't have the panache of a Zamak gun with an embossing of a guy with using a foil in en garde position.

It's by Calwestco!!!

Gringop

Name:  20240220_190907A.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  56.3 KB

Name:  20240220_190934a.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  52.9 KB
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Site Supporter
    My Ruger MK II is about 30 years old. I don't remember ever having had a misfire, and that includes several years when I shot bullseye and went through thousands of rounds. Most of the ammo was Federal #711, their standard velocity stuff. I recently dug it out and ran some old Remington bulk pack Golden Bullets through it with no misfires or issues.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

My ancient High Standard 101 can go through about 40 rounds fine, and then starts to misfeed after that unless it gets cleaned.
    The Beretta 87 I recently sold only had misfires when the ammo was old.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I can’t begin to put a number to the quantity of .22lr rounds I’ve shot. I dimly remember one failure to fire but I couldn’t tell you what brand in which gun. At one time I was seriously poor and shot a lot of Winchester Wildcats in my Ruger Mk I Target and I don’t remember any of those hiccuping.

If I were carrying a rimfire for “reals” I’d probably carry Eley pistol match or CCI .22 WMR Gold Dots because I believe the QC is better.

I think some 22 LR ammo is sub standard regarding ignition. Not nearly as reliable as center fire ammo. I've had terrible reliability with Aquilla in a Ruger MKII and some other less expensive ammo like Armscor and Remington. CCI seems to be the most reliable. I purchased 5000 rds. about 5 years ago and been very happy with it in both my MKII and CZ rifle. I don't remember any ignition problems using about 1000 rds from that lot.

Personally I wouldn't put 22LR in the self defense category but I know some people do. I'd rather have a centerfire cartridge of some flavor, including a 32. It's coming back as a SD cartridge. Beretta just released a new line of 32 APC pistols. Should fill a void in the SD pistol market and give surgeons some practice.

But that's thread drift.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-20-2024 at 09:27 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List