Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ISO a better hunting bullet for a .44 mag rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
    Heavy bonded Speer Deep Curl or Swift “probably” won’t produce shards at 44 Mag rifle velocities, as compared to .280 velocities. I’m sure they’ll produce less than an XTP. I doubt you could guarantee zero.

Unless the Barnes is inaccurate in your rifle, I’d probably just go that route. Maybe do some hillbilly water jug testing to confirm they can take the speed. Give Barnes a call/email. They are responsive to questions.
    I tried the 270g Deep curl, out of a 5 shot group with 3 different charge weights and 2 different powders, total of 6 groups, I could 3 or 4 in 1 1/2 then the fliers would leave you thinking Ray Charles was doing the shooting. I did not have enough bullets to do further testing and they appear to be unobtanium at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    I'm really surprised by your choice of bullet weight for deer hunting with a carbine. You don't mention your velocities, but a 200 gr JHP at carbine velocities tends to be a bit 'splodey. If you're happy with XTPs you might simply consider the 240 grain version, or even the 300 grain.
    I bought a 1000 count box for .44 Special loads so I had them on hand. Research showed several people having great success with the 200g. They stack in one ragged hole out of my rifle and aren't bad out of my revolvers. I am considering in going up on bullet weight. I shoot the 300g XTP out of my muzzle loader, I just don't have many on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I was wondering what they would do at lower velocities also. My carbine load is 10 grs Unique or Universal at around 1500 fps with the 200 gr xtp. I was wanting mild on the bum shoulder and not much muzzle blast. The comments I recall from people using them in that velocity range on deer were pretty positive, but no info on retained weight.
    I didn't have a chronograph when I loaded these and wonder if I was driving them too fast. Then I got to worrying that if I didn't drive them fast enough, I wouldn't get good penetration. I'm using W296 and max charge is 28.7, starting is 25.8. I'm dropping 28 grains so I have some room to back it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    The load seems to have done the job very decisively. Being ‘splodey/shedding lots of lead frags isn’t optimal, though.
    Yes the bullet on game preformed as expected. Both deer didn't go very far and had good blood trails. I rib shot both of them because I hate to ruin meat and always expect a trailing job.

The bullet I recovered came from a 7 point that weighed 170ish pounds, shot just behind the shoulder at 55 yards. It shattered ribs on both sides. The bullet was found just barely sticking out of the skin.

Actual bullet performance was good if not great. Comparing to gel test bullets (the chopping block does a 200xtp into real gel), expansion is average. Penetration was good and it only lost 6.65% of its weight so its not that splodey.

I feel that any bullet that is designed to expand has to use lead soft enough to do so and in turn it is soft enough to lose fragments when it hit bone and dense tissue. Even the 300 grain bullets at muzzle loader velocities that I have recovered (2) did not retain 100 precent of their weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post

I feel that any bullet that is designed to expand has to use lead soft enough to do so and in turn it is soft enough to lose fragments when it hit bone and dense tissue. Even the 300 grain bullets at muzzle loader velocities that I have recovered (2) did not retain 100 precent of their weight.

I dont have the info bookmarked, but recall there were many comments about black powder 44-40 loads (200 gr @1300 fps) with soft lead bullets generally shoot through deer. I think there were a fair number of uses of the 200 gr XTPs used on deer when I was looking a few years ago, info on break-up or weight loss is probably out there with some searching.

Its often the case that penetration goes down when velocity goes up for a given bullet. Theres a balance point of reliable expansion but not breaking up the bullet when it expands. That is part of why I stopped at 1500 fps, it seemed to work at that level reliably. Bones, I dont know what sort of weight loss to expect, though I would anticipate it being less so than at much higher velocities. Again, there may well be info of others experiences to give some idea what to expect.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I'm really surprised by your choice of bullet weight for deer hunting with a carbine. You don't mention your velocities, but a 200 gr JHP at carbine velocities tends to be a bit 'splodey. If you're happy with XTPs you might simply consider the 240 grain version, or even the 300 grain.
    " 'Splodey." I like that. Sounds like slang for unscheduled rapid disassembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I dont have the info bookmarked, but recall there were many comments about black powder 44-40 loads (200 gr @1300 fps) with soft lead bullets generally shoot through deer. I think there were a fair number of uses of the 200 gr XTPs used on deer when I was looking a few years ago, info on break-up or weight loss is probably out there with some searching.

Its often the case that penetration goes down when velocity goes up for a given bullet. Theres a balance point of reliable expansion but not breaking up the bullet when it expands. That is part of why I stopped at 1500 fps, it seemed to work at that level reliably. Bones, I dont know what sort of weight loss to expect, though I would anticipate it being less so than at much higher velocities. Again, there may well be info of others experiences to give some idea what to expect.

I did some work on Hornady's ballistic calculator (checked results against 2 others) using their impact velocity chart and came up with some good theoretical data.

The 200g XTP has a max impact velocity of 1630ish fps and a minimum of 800ish. I wish they would put out numbers instead of a bar graph.

With a muzzle velocity at 2100fps it doesn't drop past the max threshold until 100+ yards.

At 1650fps MV, at 125 yards it is 1232 fps.

At 1750 fps MV, at 125 yards it is 1302 fps it drops below max impact velocity at 25 yards.

I played around with other numbers but these are the 2 I'm going to try for.

The 240g and 300 g XTPS can't even reach max impact velocities out of a .44 mag rifle. The 240 can start out right at max and seems to be the better choice. The MV for the 300 shows that it will be about 500fps less than the max impact V.

I am waiting on information from Barnes. I've asked for their max velocity and data for rifles.

I agree with the "use a heavier XTP" crowd but would also be happy to use a Hard cast WFN, or an XPB.
    XPB's at 18" velocity will fold the petals back farther/flatter, that doesn't bother me. My XPB use is 225's, no experience with the 200.

I think 240 XTP's are great bullets, 300's are even greater but the XPB gives lower recoil in applications where that's a plus.
    If I was loading .44 mag for deer I'd probably just stuff a WFN in there and be happy. That gives you a chance with anything from rabbit to brown bear

Site Supporter
    A fmj flat point bullet would address and resolve any lead fragment issues in meat. Geco, Underwood's, MagTec, and Precision shooting sell factory 44 Mag fmj ammo. Two boxes of 50 would last forever if used only for hunting. My opinion is that the 43 caliber hole in the deer would suffice. A solid cast bullet would be my choice.

Because a wide flat nose has been recommended, I have found these 3 that I want to try, 44 Mag, LBT, 280gr, WFN-GC - Montana Bullet Works, 44 Mag, LBT, 260gr, WFN-GC - Montana Bullet Works, 44 Mag, LBT, 240gr, WFN-GC - Montana Bullet Works. These all have gas checks.

The rifle is a Remington made Marlin 1894, what diameter should I be looking at? Research says barrel should be .431 to .432. My concern is the gas check, I've never used checked bullets before.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    Because a wide flat nose has been recommended, I have found these 3 that I want to try, 44 Mag, LBT, 280gr, WFN-GC - Montana Bullet Works, 44 Mag, LBT, 260gr, WFN-GC - Montana Bullet Works, 44 Mag, LBT, 240gr, WFN-GC - Montana Bullet Works. These all have gas checks.

The rifle is a Remington made Marlin 1894, what diameter should I be looking at? Research says barrel should be .431 to .432. My concern is the gas check, I've never used checked bullets before.
    Before ordering, make sure you contact the seller and inform them that you will be loading whatever bullets you purchase in a lever-action. This is very important because the action lengths do vary a bit and it's not uncommon for a bullet nose to be a bit too long to feed in a lever gun. The bullet nose diameter (meplat) also can have a vote in whether a bullet will feed properly as well. The gas checks will come already installed on the bullets, the only concern I can possibly think of is if you're running a suppressor, most suppressor types won't shoot with gas checks out of concern for them coming detached and becoming lodged in the can. For bullet diameter, all you can really do is slug your barrel to find the exact diameter of your particular barrel.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Site Supporter
    Before ordering, make sure you contact the seller and inform them that you will be loading whatever bullets you purchase in a lever-action. This is very important because the action lengths do vary a bit and it's not uncommon for a bullet nose to be a bit too long to feed in a lever gun. The bullet nose diameter (meplat) also can have a vote in whether a bullet will feed properly as well. The gas checks will come already installed on the bullets, the only concern I can possibly think of is if you're running a suppressor, most suppressor types won't shoot with gas checks out of concern for them coming detached and becoming lodged in the can. For bullet diameter, all you can really do is slug your barrel to find the exact diameter of your particular barrel.
    I second this.

Slug the barrel, then give Montana Bullet Works a call, and follow their advice. They'll get you fixed up.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List