Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Consumption Issue

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    I almost hate to ask, but do you reload? You can certainly save some money (at the expense of some time and hassle) by reloading your practice ammo.
    I'm currently setup to reload rifle rounds, like 6XC and .308, but in a low volume setup (Rock Chucker).

I've been collecting 9mm brass for the past few months, I probably have 5K saved up.

Reloading pistol calibers is on my list of projects for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Gotta keep trying for my coin ... I only need to knock off about 1s from my average clean time
    Do an honest evaluation of where you're losing that time.
    You may find that more range time isn't the answer.
    For me it's the reload.
    To get my coin I need to have sub-2sec. reloads every single time.
    To get there I'm doing more dry practice and it's paying off.
    The key to a sub-5 sec. FAST is to cut it up into three parts.
    • The first two shots need to be in the 3x5 in under 2 seconds.
    • You reload should be sub-2sec.
    • The last 3 splits should be under .75 seconds.

The biggest gains in time are made in two areas.
    The draw to first shot.
    The reload.
    Both of those can be done dry.

I'm currently averaging 350 rounds per week and I'm making more progress than I was at 500+ rounds per week last year.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Do an honest evaluation of where you're losing that time.
    Yep, my reloads suck.

Probably be good for another thread but...
    For dry reload practice I set my par timer to 1.70 seconds and try to get my reload done in that amount of time.
    But I do NOT try to get off the "shot" in that amount of time.
    I drop the empty, reload with a dummy round magazine and try to get on the front sight and close to full extension before the 1.70 par time.
    The reason I don't try to get off the dry fire before the buzzer is I've found that trying to beat the par with the "click" leads to sloppy gun handling.
    I'd rather beat a par time with my manipulations and save the shot for the range where I can verify accuracy.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I was thinking about making 1 day a 9mm day and the other day the AA/.22LR day.
    I think you'd accomplish much more by beginning and ending both sessions with 9mm and doing your .22 work in between.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I think you'd accomplish much more by beginning and ending both sessions with 9mm and doing your .22 work in between.
    Which is the same advice I've heard/read many times over from other reputable trainers as well.

Site Supporter
    First and last leave bigger impressions?

We are diminished
    Starting with your carry gun/caliber means you can assess your "cold" potential. Ending with it means that you re-acclimate your body to full power recoil.

Starting with your carry gun/caliber means you can assess your "cold" potential. Ending with it means that you re-acclimate your body to full power recoil.
    I did this twice a week, every week, for three years in school. I fired almost 1000 rounds of .22 each week, and no more than 100 rounds of 9mm. I was pretty happy with the results.

The AA kit will probably last a tremendously long time, but if you have any issues with it, I would seriously look at the version made by Tac-Sol. Those guys make about the highest quality .22 aftermarket stuff that I've seen. Also, Chet Alvord, the head honcho there, is pretty serious about making his customers happy.

Thanks SLG. I'm going to have to give one a try soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I did this twice a week, every week, for three years in school. I fired almost 1000 rounds of .22 each week, and no more than 100 rounds of 9mm. I was pretty happy with the results.

The AA kit will probably last a tremendously long time, but if you have any issues with it, I would seriously look at the version made by Tac-Sol. Those guys make about the highest quality .22 aftermarket stuff that I've seen. Also, Chet Alvord, the head honcho there, is pretty serious about making his customers happy.

User Tag List