Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Consumption Issue

Site Supporter

Ammo Consumption Issue

I seem to be pacing myself at 3K rounds per month. With the current prices of ammo, I can't sustain that level of training.

What do you do to hit the range frequently, train with a similar gun, and work on becoming more proficient? I generally hit the range with goal and specific tasks to work on, and consume about 300 rounds / trip.

I will likely be giving my AA Glock upper a lot more use, I just wish I had one for a Gen4 19 rather than a Gen3 17.

Dryfire drills don't do it for me ...

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    What do you do to hit the range frequently, train with a similar gun, and work on becoming more proficient? I generally hit the range with goal and specific tasks to work on, and consume about 300 rounds / trip.
    I don't shoot near the rounds you do per month but our range trips are prob similar. I also try to have an agenda in mind each trip and shoot between 250-350 rounds on average. I believe I heard LAV say anything more than that is just "masturbating the gun".

Have you considered the SIRT pistol? It's still dry fire but more than what we normally think of as dry fire. I want one but am still deciding if I want to get the G17 or wait until the G19 comes out.

Site Supporter
    I think it depends on the shooter, certainly decreasing the amount of times you go to the range would be helpful. Also, while at the range work on the vicker's style ball and dummy/dryfire remedial drills that he uses. Work in dry fire at the range, draws, turning ect. That will slow you down. Work press outs with your aa kit.

Frankly, you may actually make some gains if you cut your range sessions DOWN in frequency. Gives you time to forget some of all the little bad habits we all acquire.

We are diminished
    So right now you're going to the range about twice a week and shooting about 300rd per session.

Switch to one range session per week and instead do 15 minutes of dedicated dry fire twice a week. I know you don't want to. Suck it up. You either get in the reps, or you don't.

Incorporate the AA kit as much as possible. Yes, the gun is different a little bit. The trigger is probably close to the same. You can work marksmanship, press-outs, and other manipulations with the .22 and use a lot less "real" bullets in a typical training day.

I second the SIRT pistol as well; I really think it's a fabulous training tool. Especially if you're like me and don't really enjoy dry firing.

I generally hit the range with goal and specific tasks to work on, and consume about 300 rounds / trip.

Dryfire drills don't do it for me ...
    What are your mid range goals? Not your individual goals per session but say 6 month or 1 year goals. If you don't have any then make some and work only on drills that will get you to those goals. Don't waste ammo on anything else. Do drills that don't eat ammo. Bill Drills run once or twice max.

Write down exactly what drills you will do and how many reps and stick to your written plan. Concentrate on every drill run and every shot fired. For me to do this, I have to have lots of breaks and downtime at my practice.

Paul Howe said that when he got out of the army and he had to pay for his own ammo, he dry fired 5 times for every live shot. You can dry fire at the range.

The only way to save on ammo is to shoot less. Be efficient about it.

Gringop

JV,
    You shoot more ammo in a month than most folks do in a lifetime with a defensive handgun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    JV,
    You shoot more ammo in a month than most folks do in a lifetime with a defensive handgun.
    Gotta keep trying for my coin ... I only need to knock off about 1s from my average clean time

I was thinking about making 1 day a 9mm day and the other day the AA/.22LR day. I'm not that averse to dry fire, it's just that going to the range is my get-away, I'd like to continue going often, but making it less expensive.
    Last edited by JV_; 03-31-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    Anyone know the avg lifespan of the AA kits?

I'm not that averse to dry fire, it's just that going to the range is my get-away, I'd like to continue going often, but making it less expensive.
    I almost hate to ask, but do you reload? You can certainly save some money (at the expense of some time and hassle) by reloading your practice ammo.

-C

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

User Tag List