Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Cars

Old Cars

Figure we need this thread, as a lot of us are old, and have memories of driving old cars.
    My first car- shared with my sister in the very early 90's- was a red base model 1966 Mustang hardtop. Even with the plain vanilla straight 6 & automatic transmission, it was quite the enjoyable driving experience.
    It was also cool in 1991 in a way that a 1999 Mustang isn't today.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Name:  IMG_0135.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  66.0 KB

My dad bought this 38 Ford in the sixties and restored it, twice. I drove it to school once or twice in the early 80s. It sat in the back of the barn for years. He sold it a couple years ago, he told my daughter he didn’t have it in him to get it going again (he’s 82 now).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Figure we need this thread, as a lot of us are old, and have memories of driving old cars.
    My first car- shared with my sister in the very early 90's- was a red base model 1966 Mustang hardtop. Even with the plain vanilla straight 6 & automatic transmission, it was quite the enjoyable driving experience.
    It was also cool in 1991 in a way that a 1999 Mustang isn't today.
    In high school a classmate had a new 66 Mustang that her mom had bought her. I think it was a six with an auto. IDK because I never drove it. She hooked me by getting my class ring. She asked me to let her look at it. She kept it and told everyone we were dating. That wasn't true because we didn't date but I should have had sense enough to roll with it. Her family owned a ranch, a big ranch. Could have been a rancher with an adoring wife. I made a lot of mistakes in my youth. Still making them. I never did get that ring back although I asked her a several times.

I still see those 65-66 Mustangs around and think about that.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-19-2024 at 09:18 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I don’t have any pics, but in the early 80s dad was a mail carrier. There was a 57 Studebaker Silver Hawk for sale on his route. He bought that and I got to drive it to school once also. He started a complete restoration of it that got delayed when he had a heart attack in 1987, but it eventually was done and he drove it to shows for a while until he sold it to get a 57 Ford.

. Name:  IMG_0136.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  61.1 KB

He sold the Ford a few years ago.

A college buddy's Dad had a well cared for Triumph TR3A, but I can't remember the year. I loved that car, and his Dad let me drive it on several occasions. That's the oldest car I ever drove.

As a kid I was a frequent passenger in my grandfather's 1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air, and an occasional passenger in my great uncle's 1958 Chevrolet Corvette. The Be-Air ran, but was in pretty rough shape, and was parted out when he stopped driving in the late 80s. The 'Vette was immaculate, but I don't know what happened to it, as I wasn't close with my great uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I don’t have any pics, but in the early 80s dad was a mail carrier. There was a 57 Studebaker Silver Hawk for sale on his route. He bought that and I got to drive it to school once also. He started a complete restoration of it that got delayed when he had a heart attack in 1987, but it eventually was done and he drove it to shows for a while until he sold it to get a 57 Ford.

. Name:  IMG_0136.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  61.1 KB

He sold the Ford a few years ago.
    My dad bought a new 57 Ford station wagon. Had the Thunderbird V8 badge on it. Probably a 312 CID engine. I remember him saying it would go over 100 mph. That was the last new car he bought. Railroad terminated his job and it was hard times after that.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Still have my dad’s ‘63 Dart with a 3 on the tree.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I sure wish I had hung on to that 1977 Ford Pinto.

Site Supporter
    My first car in 1995 was a 1965 Mustang hard top with a 289 V8.

My second car was a 1992 Mustang LX 5.0.

Trips me out now that the 92 would be older now than the 65 was when I got it...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    In high school a classmate had a new 66 Mustang that her mom had bought her. I think it was a six with an auto. IDK because I never drove it. She hooked me by getting my class ring. She asked me to let her look at it. She kept it and told everyone we were dating. That wasn't true because we didn't date but I should have had sense enough to roll with it. Her family owned a ranch, a big ranch. Could have been a rancher with an adoring wife. I made a lot of mistakes in my youth. Still making them. I never did get that ring back although I asked her a several times.

I still see those 65-66 Mustangs around and think about that.
    Driving in Tucson yesterday, I saw a restomodded 66 Mustang. Beautiful car.

You should have probably taken that girl on a date.

User Tag List