Thread: 4" 357 SP101 with a red dot?

4" 357 SP101 with a red dot?

Can such a thing be done without drilling or cutting the frame?

I see that Weigand makes a short scope base for the GP and -Six series that replaces the adjustable rear sight, and a Holosun 407 would go nicely there.

But does anyone make a mount for the adjustable sight SP101?

A slim Ruger wheelgun with a red dot has got my attention right now. I'm not sure why.

I see that Taurus has an 856 with a dot option, and I suppose I could get a security six and put a dot on it with the Weigand mount. But the SP101 would suit me better, I think.

Thanks for thinking about it with me

I guess I'll reply to my own thread.

All the internet digging I can gind only comes up with one option currently, allchin gun parts:

https://allchingunparts.com/products...n-c-mount.html

They have a mount for fast fore vortex footprint too

People have said the JP option will work with some fitting

https://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPA-RR

Here's a thread mentioning Raptor engineering, but they seem to be out of business due to the CA wildfires
    https://www.rugerforum.net/threads/s...ed-dot.358875/

Site Supporter
    The other option, one you can find pics on on the S&W forum, is a 3” Model 60 with a RDS. It still has to be drilled and tapped though…

https://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-re...dot-sight.html

Thanks, it’s done by Raptor engineering, which now seems to be OOB

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    Can such a thing be done without drilling or cutting the frame?

I see that Weigand makes a short scope base for the GP and -Six series that replaces the adjustable rear sight, and a Holosun 407 would go nicely there.

But does anyone make a mount for the adjustable sight SP101?

A slim Ruger wheelgun with a red dot has got my attention right now. I'm not sure why.
    I rather like the 4" SP101s I have owned or shot, and think they are decent potential candidates for optics; my most-carried SP101 is a snubby that came with the the larger - and Ruger-branded - CTC lasergrips, which are good enough up close (I do not care for the smaller CTC lasergrips for SPs). The only "red-dotted" SP101 I have useful firsthand experience with uses the Allchin mount; I was given to understand it required some degree of fitting, but I do not have details.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I rather like the 4" SP101s I have owned or shot, and think they are decent potential candidates for optics; my most-carried SP101 is a snubby that came with the the larger - and Ruger-branded - CTC lasergrips, which are good enough up close (I do not care for the smaller CTC lasergrips for SPs). The only "red-dotted" SP101 I have useful firsthand experience with uses the Allchin mount; I was given to understand it required some degree of fitting, but I do not have details.
    The Allchin mount was the one I'm considering. How did the combo do?

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    The Allchin mount was the one I'm considering. How did the combo do?
    As far as I know - I have not communicated with him for some time - it has worked fine since the components were slightly tweaked and everything made to fit.

Revolvers (and other trad firearms) are still so far out in left field WRT optics that serious options are limited. Why Ruger doesn't offer the "Blackhawk Hunter"/"Super Redhawk:"-style rib/integral ring cuts on more offerings perplexes me; something like a 4" SP101 or GP100 Match Champion with such an optics-ready barrel would seem like a natural, and it would leave the irons in place should an optic fail in the great outdoors.

Or even the less great indoors.

If Lipsey's can get S&W off their glutes long enough to put useful iron sights on J-Frames a half-century after it should have been done across the board, maybe they or some distributor can do likewise with Ruger and optics-ready revolver offerings. There is no better time to do so.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List