Thread: How to sell a firearm these days?

Site Supporter

How to sell a firearm these days?

Hey guys,

I trained with Todd (RIP) back in the day and lurked here for years. Due to some lifestyle changes and moves I am looking for the simplest way to sell a few AR lowers and a few pistols. I live in northern Virginia and when I used to sell FTF was the way. Things have changed and I want to make sure I am complying with the law but not getting screwed by taking them to a gun store (unless that is the newest best way of course). Thanks and sorry if this question is misplaced.

Site Supporter
    You can still advertise the sale to non-FFLs, but the transfer must go through an FFL in VA (Most FFls will facilitate these sales, but it's always a good idea to verify before agreeing to meet at a particular FFL with the buyer). Or, if you are selling to a resident of another state, the firearm must be shipped/delivered to an FFL in that state.

My LGS gets plenty of firearms from drug addicts, so they don’t pay well. I’ve had very good success selling through this site’s For Sale section, and it’s always been a great experience. Shipping FFL to FFL can be pricey (about $90), and most FFLs want firearms shipped that way now.

Site Supporter
    The times I've sold stuff not FTF, I got the FFL information from the buyer and took it to my FFL who would do outbound transfer and ship it on his FedEx. He'd just charge me $20 + Actual shipping costs. I'd say the best way to get top dollar would be to advertise them on the forums and then have an FFL who will do outbound transfers handle the transfer/shipping.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

User Tag List