Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Hillary hole S&W 64s on GB for $275

No Hillary hole S&W 64s on GB for $275

Look in the “other model” filter in Smith revolvers.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1036576549
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

nice

$75 to ship though

Site Supporter
    Thank you for posting, but I did not see much information about the condition of the gun, and the terms of sale are as is - no returns.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I’d be tempted to roll the dice on one of these if I didn’t pick up a nice clean 64-3 local last April for $320

Seller's page with all their 64s: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...20%26%20Wesson

Most of their 64-5s are mislabeled 64-4s. I'm pretty sure that -6 is actually a -5. So I guess 2 total. Of the two actual 64-5s this one looks the most interesting: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1036247136

There was a period around when that gun was made (CDK prefix, so I think 1999 or 2000) that S&W stainless cylinders showed cylinder stop notch wear early. Cosmetic, and the notch deformation would work-harden and then behave normally. Something to do, I think, with the cylinders being heat treated on the harder side of "in-spec"? Seeing guns from that time period with little to no notch wear means if they have been fired, it's very, very little. Even less than you'd normally estimate based on "normal" stop notch wear.

This is what that stop notch would look like with ~8k on the clock (pics from one of my IDPA guns made the same year):

Name:  notch1.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  40.5 KB
    Name:  notch4.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  35.4 KB
    Name:  notch5.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  26.1 KB

$275 + $75 shipping + the cost of a deep clean. (IDK, strip & dump it in an ultrasonic cleaner?) That gets you a pre-lock K-frame that can be serviced with current production parts. Though without inspection it's hard to tell how many of those current production parts (if any) would be needed to get it up to snuff.

Huge fan of those late 90s Tomkins-era guns.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    nice

$75 to ship though
    I've not seen Model 64s going for that low since the last decade. If I didn't already have a couple, I'd buy one.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

They look... gritty

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    $275 + $75 shipping + the cost of a deep clean.
    Don't forget tax and transfer fee which makes it $392 for me but at least I can do the cleaning myself...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I bought one about a year ago from a different batch, and it was fine mechanically. Trigger was decent, not special. It had a set of Pachmayr's on it.

I polished the action and swapped springs, added a set of Ahrends. It's a decent practice gun without a lot of money in it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I bought one about a year ago from a different batch, and it was fine mechanically. Trigger was decent, not special. It had a set of Pachmayr's on it.

I polished the action and swapped springs, added a set of Ahrends. It's a decent practice gun without a lot of money in it.
    Both my kids have 4" m64s I got sight unseen as surplus.

My daughter has the tapered barrel one I round butted and my son has a standard square butt heavy barrel one. Both with slicked up actions, bobbed hammers and vz grips
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

User Tag List