Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Training Questions, your insight, experiences appreciated

Weight Training Questions, your insight, experiences appreciated

This section needs some inspiration and activity! In that vain, can you guys offer your thoughts experiences with different programs? I find consistency the most challenging, therefore a need to streamline. For example, Starting strength, 5x5, etc.,

Could you make any appreciable progress on say 2 sets 15 reps of “X” number of base exercises 3 times a week?

What is realistic 6 month goal, in terms of actual muscular gain, and strength gain, honest and realistic.

I was inspired by the combatives “belt” thread and was blown away by some of the strength standards.

Starting “skinny fat” 19% body fat per Dexa, 177lbs, 5”11, 59yo, currently doing inconsistent weight 2 to 3 x weekly, 30-90 min zone 2 3-4 times weekly. Finally range of motion back after frozen shoulder almost a year!

Thanks guys!,

Get the Starting Strength books and follow he program!

Hate to say it but it's impossible to predict.

Your best bet is to get a trainer until you're comfortable doing it By yourself. One that can also look at your diet as well.

Get you T levels checked as well.

Gains in the gym are equally related to exercise, rest, and diet. If one of those are lacking then your results won't be as good as they can be.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Besides the Starting Strength books, also get a copy of The Barbell Prescription, specifically written for the over 40 lifters

I'm 55AF with a shit load of non-lifting injuries and surgeries in my past and I train with weights 5 days a week.

I cannot say enough good things about the Stonglifts 5x5 app. Consistent, simple & easy to use in the gym. Progress through 5lb increments provides track-able gains and visible results. I learned of this thanks to Larry Lindeman on TPI, fwiw.

Also agree with @30RN, about testosterone and diet. TRT has been very beneficial to me along with a high protein/low carb eating habits.

ETA: I came back to make sure the OP was aware of our Weightlifting thread. Didn't know until just now that the second post is John Hearne referencing Larry Lindeman's TPI posts about the Stronglifts app.
    Last edited by Gun Mutt; 02-18-2024 at 09:53 AM.

I've often felt that the weightlifting thread (I think there is a cardio thread too?) belong in this section of the forum.

Strength, conditioning, mobility, and stability are certainly germane to unarmed combatives. In fact, I think Cecil just recebtly posted about it on social media after talking with Mickey from carry trainer.

Starting is hard. I honestly dont remember what "program" I began with. I'll check my notes. At the moment my advice is as follows:

-Get a pencil and pad. Wright down your weights and reps no matter what they are.
    -Learn the form, slowly ad weight. Read the Strong Lifts guides. Then, refer back to them. Here is the example of squat form guide. https://stronglifts.com/squat/ it really helps break things down.
    -Dont start out 5 days a week.

I'll see if I can find my original notebook. But don't exercise -train. Have a plan. Have a goal.

Others who know better will be along soon.

You’re already hearing from people who know a lot more than I do on this topic. All I can offer is that a *qualified* personal trainer is worth every penny. I gained 10lbs of muscle and lost almost 9lbs of fat in my first 10 weeks of working with my coach (currently gaining both at a 4:1 ratio as I bulk up), and I’ve added 100lbs to my dead and 90 to my squat in 6 months. That, and: any time put into the gym is better than no time. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    You’re already hearing from people who know a lot more than I do on this topic. All I can offer is that a *qualified* personal trainer is worth every penny. I gained 10lbs of muscle and lost almost 9lbs of fat in my first 10 weeks of working with my coach (currently gaining both at a 4:1 ratio as I bulk up), and I’ve added 100lbs to my dead and 90 to my squat in 6 months. That, and: any time put into the gym is better than no time. JMO.
    Agree with all of this, especially the "qualified" part.

Pre-COVID, I lifted at one of the big chain gyms where I hired a well intentioned but not overly sophisticated trainer. I made decent progress on the classic lifts, but about a year my deadlift stalled out around 250 and I had DOMS constantly.

Then I moved, changed gyms, and started working with a trainer who had a completely different take on things. She told me little things like to focus how the ground should feel under my feet during a lift. The DOMS went away and within three months I was lifting 315 for reps.

Along with getting a good trainer, I'd add a focus on form and recovery. You won't get hurt and the numbers will come.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Gang, thanks. I appreciate that “weightlifting” link, I don’t know how I overlooked that!

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    This section needs some inspiration and activity! In that vain, can you guys offer your thoughts experiences with different programs? I find consistency the most challenging, therefore a need to streamline. For example, Starting strength, 5x5, etc.,

Could you make any appreciable progress on say 2 sets 15 reps of “X” number of base exercises 3 times a week?

What is realistic 6 month goal, in terms of actual muscular gain, and strength gain, honest and realistic.

I was inspired by the combatives “belt” thread and was blown away by some of the strength standards.

Starting “skinny fat” 19% body fat per Dexa, 177lbs, 5”11, 59yo, currently doing inconsistent weight 2 to 3 x weekly, 30-90 min zone 2 3-4 times weekly. Finally range of motion back after frozen shoulder almost a year!

Thanks guys!,
    2 sets will not be enough you will probably need 3 or 4 sets close to failure. 3 times a week for the whole body is fine if that's what you're thinking

User Tag List