Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated M1911 Website

Site Supporter

Dedicated M1911 Website

For those who aren't aware, there is this dedicated M1911 website. I somehow stumbled onto it yesterday. I haven't yet explored it, but have it bookmarked for later perusal. I expect the site has some valuable information. Here's a link to it.

https://m1911.org/

Lots of good information archived there.

The forum is nearly dead, and has been that way for probably the last five years or so. It is the first gun forum I joined, back in 2007.

There's another one.

https://www.1911forum.com/

It's a pretty tight knit group of conservative posters and moderators, owned by a Canadian company who think they're American patriots.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-17-2024 at 11:04 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

https://www.1911forum.com/
    It's a pretty tight knit group of conservative posters and moderators, owned by a Canadian company who think they're American patriots.
    Caveat emptor…
    Unfortunately, the superb Steven Camp archive around the P35 Grande Puissant / High Power resides on the 1911 Forum. There is still a decent amount of posts, nearly daily, on new innovations and older insights around the platform. Without naming names, there appears to be a healthy overlap between PF and 1911 Forum High Power posters (which is a good thing).

As Borderline notes, the maturity and social refinement of some characters are a bit underwhelming.
    If you didn’t know, Tisas guns are made in Turkey. Many someone’s will post up that vital, life-changing information in every thread.
    Of course, those same Turks seem to make a pretty decent wide body 1911 at 25% of the US-manufactured costs, another topic of deep analysis and debate about the state of the Lira and Turkish economy. Lots of discussion of 1950’s era western TV shows too.

It reminds me of the playground analysis of the latest A-Team episode when I was in Fourth Grade….
    There’s a spirited discussion, but no worth listening to is involved.

Name:  IMG_0450.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  49.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    www.1911addicts.com is my favorite.
    I was once an active poster there from 2015-2017. The forum admin sold to a company that indirectly supports anti-gun legislation. A liberal toronto based newspaper/media group owns the forum and the ad revenue and supporting member fees from the forum is going to support them. In turn they work against the very heart of the forum.

That caused the membership to fracture, and half went to a new site called 1911fanatics. It was slow to take off, and I dont know how they faired over time. I quickly became a PF only guy.

It was the 3rd gun forum I was a member of that was bought by TorStar, covered in ads, and fractured.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I was once an active poster there from 2015-2017. The forum admin sold to a company that indirectly supports anti-gun legislation. A liberal toronto based newspaper/media group owns the forum and the ad revenue and supporting member fees from the forum is going to support them. In turn they work against the very heart of the forum.

That caused the membership to fracture, and half went to a new site called 1911fanatics. It was slow to take off, and I dont know how they faired over time. I quickly became a PF only guy.
    Same. I hung around a bit after the sale and was amused by the attitude of some of the regulars. They insisted the owner should have told them about the sale beforehand and acted like their membership constituted part ownership of the forum rather than simply payment for services (information and the ability to buy/sell/trade on the forum). I left after one of the new admins felt the need to insist that I re-post the pics of an item I withdrew from a FS post.

Regarding 1911.org, I left after an admin chastised my use of the word "screw" in a post. I had asked about doing a minor mod and said I was looking for clarification beforehand because I didn't want to screw it up. I was told that because they have posters and readers of all ages from all over the world, the word "screw" was to only be used in reference to a threaded fastener. I briefly considered telling him to go threaded fastener himself but remembered discretion is the better part of valor...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    For those who aren't aware, there is this dedicated M1911 website. I somehow stumbled onto it yesterday. I haven't yet explored it, but have it bookmarked for later perusal. I expect the site has some valuable information. Here's a link to it.

https://m1911.org/
    As noted by prior posters there are multiple dedicated 1911 forums. The quality of information varies but most are primarily focused on collecting and or tinkering with 1911s but the signal to noise ration (I.e. ratio of legitimate info vs gun shop lore nonsense) is generally poor. There tends to be significant amounts of brand based “fan boy” nonsense as well.

You will occasionally find posters there, who actually shoot their guns, but for the most part, you’ll find a lot of glowing praise for guns after one range trip consisting of “50 flawless rounds” shot slow fire.

For information on actually shooting a 1911 or keeping one running when actually shot in any volume, the two best resources I’ve found are here (Pistol Forum) and the Brian Enos Forum - a forum primarily for competitive shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post

It was the 3rd gun forum I was a member of that was bought by TorStar, covered in ads, and fractured.
    Wow, I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up.

I made myself persona non grata on one of them for mentioning that I had exchanged letters on the Scout concept with Jeff Cooper and had arrived at different conclusions than the people on the thread.

My opinion of the hasty sling was also a sore point.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List