Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated M1911 Website

1911forum has a fair amount of good information concerning 1911 gunsmithing, new models, collecting and history. But, it comes with a lot of annoying and constant noise regarding John Browning is God, Jeff Cooper was his anointed son, the 1911 is the best gun that will ever be designed, 45 ACP is a nuclear grade ordnance and all others except 10mm (because Cooper is associated with it) are just like a bee sting and only used by pussies.

Quote Originally Posted by valian View Post
    1911forum has a fair amount of good information concerning 1911 gunsmithing, new models, collecting and history. But, it comes with a lot of annoying and constant noise regarding John Browning is God, Jeff Cooper was his anointed son, the 1911 is the best gun that will ever be designed, 45 ACP is a nuclear grade ordnance and all others except 10mm (because Cooper is associated with it) are just like a bee sting and only used by pussies.
    An old favorite.

Danko,

Do yourself a favor, avoid those forums. Brand or typecentric forums tend to be filled with those who view their choice as a talisman, rather than a tool. This isn't confined to the 1911. If snarky condescension is your thing then by all means, proceed.

But, there's good reason why many of us only post here.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

There is decent information to be mined in all of the 1911 centric forums mentioned, but as also mentioned, it seems that there are more collectors and fanatics there then regular/serious users. For actual use and down to earth empirical advice and experience, you're likely best off here at pistol-forum.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

I used to go on 1911forum, m1911, and ltwforums all the time. Both m1911 and ltw are pretty much dead. 1911forum has some good stuff, but a lot of nonsense.

The glory days of those forums were in the mid 2000's.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I used to go on 1911forum, m1911, and ltwforums all the time. Both m1911 and ltw are pretty much dead. 1911forum has some good stuff, but a lot of nonsense.

The glory days of those forums were in the mid 2000's.
    The gunsmithing and troubleshooting section in 1911Forum has a lot of good info into the archives...

We used to have some excellent, informative and spirited discussions on the old 10-8 forum, but I have no idea if it's archived or even accessible today.

I think of it as the predecessor to p-f.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    We used to have some excellent, informative and spirited discussions on the old 10-8 forum, but I have no idea if it's archived or even accessible today.

I think of it as the predecessor to p-f.

Best, Jon
    It’s not, at least not publicly.

Most of the 10-8 crowd went to lightfighter which is still around. Much of the Lightfighter crowd then went to Primary & Secondary.

Someone bought the light fighter form from ATS but most of that LF/P&S crowd is moving to discord servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I was once an active poster there from 2015-2017. The forum admin sold to a company that indirectly supports anti-gun legislation. A liberal toronto based newspaper/media group owns the forum and the ad revenue and supporting member fees from the forum is going to support them. In turn they work against the very heart of the forum.

That caused the membership to fracture, and half went to a new site called 1911fanatics. It was slow to take off, and I dont know how they faired over time. I quickly became a PF only guy.

It was the 3rd gun forum I was a member of that was bought by TorStar, covered in ads, and fractured.
    1911fanatics is also (currently) owned by VerticalScope as well, amusingly enough.

1911 Addicts is a great forum for people that enjoy that gun. There are some highly opinionated folks there but all and all it’s most excellent.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List