Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Amish

My credentials may be suspect, but John has offered up a lot of education and I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    My credentials may be suspect, but John has offered up a lot of education and I appreciate it.
    So did Dr Ignatius Piazza...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    Then it wasn't original. Chevy first put the 327 into production cars in 1962. I had a 1962 Chevy SS Convertible with a 300hp 327 in it (double hump fuelie heads) and a Rochester 4bbl. I bought it used in 1970, so don't know if it was all original. It wasn't when I got through with it.
    My first car was a '63 Impala with a 327 and a 4 bbl. Got my first two speeding tickets with it. If I win the lottery, I'll get another one. I loved that car.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    My first car was a '63 Impala with a 327 and a 4 bbl. Got my first two speeding tickets with it. If I win the lottery, I'll get another one. I loved that car.
    I'd hate to think how much a restored one would cost.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    A kid a year or two older than me owned a used dark red '63 Impala with the lower-output 327 and a set of original "Rader" wheels on it. By the time he bought it, it was 7 or 8 years old, but it was sort of like a time capsule, with low miles and still in pristine shape. It was a good-looking rig that was still a head-turner even in the pony-car era (this is coming from a Mopar guy who automatically disliked most Chevys).

I liked most of the midsized 1963 car for some reason. I used to tell people that if I ever fell into money, I'd find or build a good 2-door '63 Dodge 880 with a 383 4V/pushbutton Torqueflite; this was - and still is - an odd choice to many people, but I remember them as smooth, capable cars that would do 65-75 mph all day long and not pound the crap out of the occupants or make 'em deaf.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Enough that the only way I'd be able to afford it is if I win the lottery.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I’m 51. I have the time to shoot about 500 rounds per month thanks to a career, house, spouse, etc.
    I just turned 65, and we do about the same volume.

The transition from irons to an ACOG almost 20 years ago during OEF2 took maybe 2 days. I was literally posting my highest qual scores I’d seen since enlisting in the early 90s with an ACOG or Aimpoint with just 2-3 days of training on an optic.
    Yeah, the only reason I want a long gun without an optic is because I want to have some fun, I have a simple 10/22 with simple peep sights with a FO front, and boy it sure is fun. But having a reticle or dot hanging right there where the rear sight used to be is just an automatic, IMO. Now I even want dots on all my defensive shotguns, Mossberg is coming out with some very cool optic ready models.

My transition to a pistol RDO over the past 18 months has been nowhere near as seamless.
    I had a fairly smooth transition, but I think I set myself up for success by changing as few things as possible, I took the same exact gun I had been shooting for years and had it direct milled, and used a SRO because it is so big. But is still an acquired skill, damn sure not as easy as a long gun.

I completely get it if some GenXers and Boomers don’t feel the juice is worth the squeeze.
    I also think those guys tend to have piled up a bunch of guns and do not want to become reliant on the RDO because most of their guns will not have them. And I think in this crowd we tend to gloss over the cost, my RDO and mill job cost more than the pistol, and I did it on the cheap. And I also do not want to be reliant on it, and it was a happy accident that I left my RDO gun in the safe and needed to shoot the gun I was carrying at a three gun match, proving I haven't lost all my mojo.

My first car was a '63 Impala with a 327 and a 4 bbl. Got my first two speeding tickets with it.
    My first car was an MGB, but my second car was a '65 Chevelle SS with a nice 327 had been swapped in with a 4 bbl and 4spd. Got my first ticket in the MGB and my second in the Chevelle, and since in Ohio a third ticked would have meant losing my license until I turned 18, still more than a year away.

If I win the lottery, I'll get another one. I loved that car.
    Enough that the only way I'd be able to afford it is if I win the lottery.
    I always say I want every car, gun and motorcycle I ever needed to trade away, but the only way would be getting money I didn't have to earn, nice stuff just costs too much. Though watching the auctions on TV shows not everything is out of reach, I just no longer want to be responsible for really nice things.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo
    Which is worse? Click bait video or commenting on click bait video?
    So much butt hurt in one thread.

Could the gunternet be any more autistic?
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Thing is, round here, the Amish have dots on their pistols, and thermals on their rifles.
    They probably poach deer like a sumbitch' with em' too, I'd bet a PF dollar on that one...

An influencer has got to influence. I accept that, and largely ignore the influencing.

I bought a G19 MOS, which wore an RMR long enough for me to know that I like the concept, though that RMR was borrowed from a long gun, and being green triangle tritium, would not have been a good all-conditions sight for a carry handgun, anyway. (It is a very good sight for SOME conditions, therefore its permanent role being one of two sight options, on a long gun.) In 2020, I traded-away all three of my G19 pistols, because the G19-length grip had become a bit much for my aging, increasingly-gimpy right hand.

The G19x/G45 came along, to solve the too-short-grip problem. I bought a G19x, and later acquired a G45 slide that had been milled for the ACRO. I liked the ACRO even better. The ACRO’s dot works noticeably better, for my eyes, than red-dot RMRs that I have tried, at an LGS. (Flare, due to astigmatism, is my problem.) Finding those little batteries was darned difficult, during the Panic-Demic. At least I know that I like the ACRO, so, a version two, which will use easier-to-find batteries, is on the to-do list. So, yes, I have accepted the The Dot, but, not to the lord-and-savior extent.

Well, having established that I am not of an anti-red-dot religious denomination, do I actually wear a handgun with an optic, or plan to do so? Well, no. I mostly carry fixed-sight revolving pistols, some without hammer spurs. Rounded, smooth contours are good characteristics, for my old guy carry guns. Some aspects of DB’s “snubby lifestyle” do, very much, apply to me. When the “mission*” indicates, or, when I just feel like it, I can/will carry one of my G17 pistols, which has a Trijicon tritium sight combo that my eyes seem to really like, in a wide range of conditions. I have other Glocks, and 1911 pistols, with various iron sights, that are excellent, for my eyes, in good light, or when I put light on the target.

*I am retired from LEO-ing, so, “missions” are entirely optional. Another part of being retired from LEO-ing is that if I am going anywhere near a Valley of the Shadow of Death, I can simply bring a rifle, in a chambering of my choosing, whenever I feel like it. (Part of being an LEO is being constrained by PD policy, which can affect one’s personal-time weapon choices.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List