Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Amish

Likewise, I really had no intention of going Dot. Then, a couple of years ago, I noticed that my once clear 1911 sights had turned into vague blurs, and my groups were opening way up. Going with the dot is helping get those back under control.
    Happily, I can see the various dots I now have without my reading glasses. Part of the fun of getting old I guess.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    In my observation and experience, 90% of the time it does not make a bit of difference if you have the latest, coolest gun, or RDO. That said, I will still take them and use them, as it may give me an advantage, and I may be in a situation where I need to slow down for just a literal second and take a truly precise shot within a small window of opportunity. There have been times where I wish I would have had the equipment I have available to me now. Plus my eyes don't see a front sight like the used to.

Most the time, it is what you do, and when you do it that matters. I will give an example.

Years back, I was sitting at my desk pretending to be interested in typing a report. A call went out of a bank robbery in progress. That sounded better than the report I was writing. My partner and I suited up and went. Long story short, there are two bad guys. One gets taken down in a parking lot. The other we locate in a house. He gets called out, very non compliant. Extremely large native American guy.

Everyone is behind cover (he had robbed the bank with a sawed off shotgun). Various people are screaming "Don't move, put your hands up, do the hokie pokie". All the usual.

It is getting met with "Go fornicate in a solo fashion!"

It is going nowhere, so I run at the guy rifle up yelling. When I do, my partner does too. I grab him by the arm and go to take him down. Nothing happens. For a second I wonder if my partner is pulling the other way. I Look. Nope, he is just that big.

Then I see his pony tail.

Grab the pony tail and drive it into the ground. Put my gun on him from there, and all of the sudden we are surrounded by cops.

Bad guys looks up and says" Dick move Bro".

***sidebar below****

Anyway, the point is that it is not the gear that gets things done, it is you. YOU deciding to act is what will cause you to win or lose. You can have all the cool guy stuff in the world, and be as trendy as you want, but if you hesitate, or are not fully committed to the fight, it really does not matter one bit. You have to be willing. The rest is just stuff.

****sidebar****

I don't know much about fighting, so I always followed two simple rules.

1. Where the head goes, the body follows.
    and
    2. You can't fight if you can't breath.

Those two seemed to work quite well. Not PC today, but they worked for me.
    Fantastic story and Agreed with all the sidebar points

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Hell, when I first met Cecil Burch I though he looked like a bartender. I didn't know who is was or what he was capable of. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
    From my very first AAR on P-F (Paul3palooza):

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Burch is one of those gentlemanly looking, collared shirt grey man guys who could easily pass as the dean of arts and letters at the local private liberal arts university, right up until he starts choking the shit out of someone.

I’ve since hosted his weekend seminar twice, and attended it another time.

But I digress. I like John’s channel, and cumulative learning has most def occurred over the years that I have watched in bits and pieces. However, I agree that sudden onset internet stardom doesn’t instantly turn a ‘tuber (any of them, including the ones participating here) into Mas Ayoob, Craig Douglas, Pat Mac, or anyone else with decades of personal gravitas behind them.

JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    I think you have a sensible approach to this, and I agree with much of what you said. I don’t use an optic on my pistol and I do think they’re beneficial, but overrated. I’m also a resistance training enthusiast who had 9% body fat last time it was formally measured.

But, remember that I said “unhealthy people”, not “helpless bags of donuts”. It’s wise not to judge a book by its cover. There are a lot of prodigiously strong fat people who could carry you and your wife out of a burning building, or just pick up the building. There are also fat people who have good cardio endurance and can fight like the third monkey in line to get on Noah’s ark as it starts to rain. But, they’re not optimally healthy because being fat is not good for a variety of reasons.

It’s easy to fat shame until you have to fight this guy: https://youtube.com/shorts/9-zXqmT-e...gxlcGcSNPQ29tO
    If training at martial arts teaches you nothing else, it shows you to be cautious with you presumptions, just like you say very nicely above.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Likewise, I really had no intention of going Dot. Then, a couple of years ago, I noticed that my once clear 1911 sights had turned into vague blurs, and my groups were opening way up. Going with the dot is helping get those back under control.
    Happily, I can see the various dots I now have without my reading glasses. Part of the fun of getting old I guess.
    This is a great point I never considered and it will probably be what makes me embrace pistol optics eventually. But for now I'll keep being a fudd with my stock G19 and the same night sights I've been using since I first started carrying a gun

Quote Originally Posted by RJflyer View Post
    This is a great point I never considered and it will probably be what makes me embrace pistol optics eventually. But for now I'll keep being a fudd with my stock G19 and the same night sights I've been using since I first started carrying a gun
    Enjoy it while you can. I'd be more than happy if I could have stayed with irons on my carry gun.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Part of the fun of getting old I guess.
    Every day it continues to entertain. Not. My mom (still with us and now a nonagenarian) has long said that all the talk about these being the "golden years" is - and I quote - "A crock of s**t." My maternal grandmother (who made it to 99) had once warned my mom, "This (longevity) isn't all it's cracked up to be."

But I digress.

I don't know if I have the Gun Amish gene, am an atavistic paleo-Fudd, or just another Boomer who has fossilized into thinking everything was great when he was a kid. Whatever the case, even some changes that actually improve the experience quantitatively (red dots, simpler takedown procedures, etc) don't necessarily make me happier or improve the qualitative side of shooting.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I'd rather be the dude with a J frame who can carry my wife out of a burning building, than the dude with a Staccato who would have a stroke if I had to run a mile.
    I'm laughing as I read this because I'm picturing a guy standing at the gun counter comparing two handguns. He tells the clerk "I dunno. I really like this Staccato with it's red dot sight. But my wife would kill me if I couldn't carry her out of a burning building, so I'm going to take the J frame."

I know it's just hyperbole to make a point but it's funny.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Unless I wear glasses, a RDS is a giant blob for me. I'm also a former karateka....very little about a black belt in Kenpo impresses me...

...Red dots probably are the future....just not for all of us, and broad sweeping generalizations only serve to make one seem narrow minded
    So what are people doing with the blur or blaze with a dot? Thats what I'm seeing when I look through them. Im certainly in no danger of having all my guns dotted, but it would be nice to be able to see something with one. Im still mostly OK with irons, just not as OK as I was 5 years ago. Less TV and computers and less caffeine and its more OK with irons.

Actual pistol scopes work nicely at this point, but obviously not handy to carry on a regular basis and be the slightest bit discrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    At 256K, the AC died and the radio worked only if I pounded on the dash board.
    Id rather drive 20 miles on a flat tire than not have AC when it gets hot. AC not working qualifies as critical systems upkeep.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I'm laughing as I read this because I'm picturing a guy standing at the gun counter comparing two handguns. He tells the clerk "I dunno. I really like this Staccato with it's red dot sight. But my wife would kill me if I couldn't carry her out of a burning building, so I'm going to take the J frame."

I know it's just hyperbole to make a point but it's funny.
    Haha definitely not the reason my wife would kill me for buying a Staccato

User Tag List