Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Amish

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    So much butt hurt in one thread.

Could the gunternet be any more autistic?
    This is like when the Warrior Poet guy poo-poo'ed on 1911's, and everybody (including PF) got all tore up about it.

Maybe he meant it, maybe he didn't. Maybe he knows that rage clicks = $, and he's laughing all the way to the bank.

I didn't read the entire 10 pages of this thread, but apparently it turns out I'm a gun amish...

But I must also have carpenter skills, because I can still hit what I want

It's fashionable to dog-pile on our own people.

Say what you will about John. I met him once, at a GAS Match in 2022, where he came across as a very nice person, and shot well.

In my opinion, he has worked hard to educate the large number of people who know far less than some of you, and made a successful business doing that.

I feel that if we look at the totality of the circumstances, we as a community are better off overall with his work than without it. Kind of like another P-F polarizer- Paul Harrell- where, in a world of the blind, he is the proverbial one-eyed king.

And some of you might take note that when I took a class with my longtime instructor Larry Mudgett in 2020, Larry specifically mentioned that he enjoys watching ASP videos, and suggested that people in the class might want to do the same. That doesn't excuse the valid issues some of you might have with John's takes on various issues, but for me, it does reinforce the general idea that there is some value to his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Personally speaking, firearms ownership and even being an advocate of the 2nd Amendment doesn’t make someone “my people”.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Personally speaking, firearms ownership and even being an advocate of the 2nd Amendment doesn’t make someone “my people”.
    You're right, I shouldn't have phrased it that way.

I generally mean people in the industry and participation base. Some of those people aren't "my people", either.

But they are sure "my people" a lot more than those working against "us".

(If I find myself in a room with, say, Caleb Giddings, and AOC, I know which side of the room I would prefer to stand on.)
    Last edited by Archer1440; 02-20-2024 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    As a champion of diversity, inclusion, and(forgot the other one), I must point out that some seem to be anti Amish. I'm not but will share this expression: what's dirtier than an Amish blowjob? I apologize for the thread drift. Sometimes I just can't help it.
    The forgotten term is: Equity. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.

Diversity - you need to have had enough blowjobs to be able to make comparisons between Amish, Mennonites, and other various sects.

Equity - All Amish blowjobs should be finished to completion (it's the only way to be fair)

Inclusion - You should not turn down an Amish blowjob if offered one.

Which allows us to fairly and reasonably answer the question - what's dirtier than an Amish blowjob?

Two Amish blowjobs.

It's also fashionable to grab onto "controversy" to create clicks as a way of driving income and really in terms of value are not much more valuable than Reality TV.

Put another way - Youtube and the various Gun Influencers are Bear Grylls showing you a fake adventure. The guys on the ground doing training and education are out there having the real adventure.

Site Supporter

I generally mean people in the industry and participation base. Some of those people aren't "my people", either.

(If I find myself in a room with, say, Caleb Giddings, and AOC, I know which side of the room I would prefer to stand on.)
    If it's a motel room, whom would you prefer to wake up next to? No questions asked, no commitments made. Who is to Judge?
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 02-20-2024 at 12:09 PM.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

...(If I find myself in a room with, say, Caleb Giddings, and AOC, I know which side of the room I would prefer to stand on.)
    The one nearest the exit?

and made a successful business doing that.
    And it is a business. Which, in part, is the problem. Everything is now. I think that explains the irritation some people have. Youtube "content" has gone from people just making a video about something you're interested in to an actual business.

So you have people turning what used to be an enjoyable place on the internet to find relevant stuff of varying quality into an infinite sewer of YOUR FAVORITE THING IS ragebait and CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS YOU WON'T BELIEVE clicktrolling of varying quality. And if time or attention is currency, then there's a cost associated with this stuff.

People tend to bitch when the cost of gas or whatever goes up. I don't see this as much different. The cost of engaging with youtube has gone up. You pay more time/attention filtering through the shit to find things of value. Some bitching is appropriate. It'd be like Level 1 / club match fees going from $25 to $50 to cover CSOs and ROs getting not just comp'd but actually paid to work them. Maybe then every walkthrough can be sponsored by Dawson: You Can Hit That®. Stage 1, sponsored by Ruger©: Arms Makers For Responsible Citizens sm. Maybe we can change the timer from a beep to a scream of GRIP ZONE®.

The way most people interact with gun ownership has historically had a lot of volunteerism involved. e.g. Match fees were to cover costs not maximize revenue. The path of squeezing every single penny out of literally everything ends in something indistinguishable from parody.

No worries buddy I think we’ve all said something to that effect.

This is my 22nd year teaching open enrollment coursework and my 33rd year of teaching armed professionals.

I’ve seen a lot of trends come and go but one thing that’s irrefutable is that gun ownership and participation in recreational shooting has increased probably a hundred fold. With that expansion comes so much more diversity in thought and opinion on a variety of topics well outside of gun ownership, that makes it difficult for me personally to find a sense of solidarity with someone solely on that issue.

I’ve probably hinted at it but I’m not a fan of John Correia.

Personally he has a messianic public comportment that’s more reminiscent of the pulpit and not the range.

He also very frequently doles out advice on politics and morality that I find unprofessional and hypocritical.

I get a TON of compliments and praise very weekend from 20-24 strangers and someone invariably basking in the aftermath of their very potent ShivWorks experience will say something like “Craig you’re such such a…..GOOD guy”.

I thank them for the compliment and then gently offer this counterpoint:

“Well sir/ma’am I really appreciate you saying that but PLEASE listen to what I’m getting ready to say: Don’t conflate me being good at something with being good. I am an INCREDIBLY flawed human being struggling for grace no different than you. Please don’t deify or canonize me or anyone else teaching you self defense skills.”

And on whether John Correia is good? At what exactly? Watching television? What lived experience does he have to compare his video analysis to? What formal training? What are his accomplishments and what is his depth of knowledge?

These are valid questions.

User Tag List