Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Amish

Site Supporter
    As I type this, I am wearing a G19 with Trijicon sights. I have started dipping my toe into red dots and will carry one some of be time at some point. Right now I have other priorities.

To say that someone is gun Amish without a red dot reveals a very narrow range of experience. For example, consider:

Carrying a gun in business casual attire in 90 degree temperatures.

A lady trying to find a place to put a gun in form-fitting clothing.

Carrying a gun when circumstances dictate carrying a gun in a holster that is not optimized for dot carry, for example, a shoulder holster. Accommodating a dot would require different strap placement which could potentially compromise concealment if not very carefully thought out.

The first of these three applies to me every summer. I will always carry iron sights at least part of the time.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

If the gun Amish mill their slides for a dot, do they touch them up with a mennonite finish?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    If the gun Amish mill their slides for a dot, do they touch them up with a mennonite finish?
    Name:  2rpj00.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  11.4 KB
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

You are a horrible person. Now that we got that outta way, I can't believe nobody's referenced this:

Of course, there's some modern touches I'm not super fond of- high, suppressor sights, threaded & capped muzzles, Ti finished barrels with stuff machined all over them, or superfluious bits drilled & chopped off the slide.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Proverbs 26:12

According to him, Mr. Correia went from construction, to the Navy as a nuclear reactor operator, to seminary and part-time pastor, combined with working retail, to a YouTube self-defense personality. He has taken lots of "gun classes" and "self defense classes" taught by some notable instructors. He has basically declared himself and his training cadre experts of matters of self defense and legal experts without actually having real world experience in either field.

He lists his resume here: https://activeselfprotection.com/our...-john-correia/

Many on here, myself included, have gone to most of those classes over time and then some. We've testified as "expert witnesses" in court over various matters (it's not hard, just have a lawyer voir dire you in court to prove you know more about something than the average schmuck on the street). Hell, some of us have testified in court anywhere from 200+, to 500+ times, sat on actual use of force review boards, and have investigated homicides and police shootings.

There are some differences though. Besides taking a bunch of classes, a lot of us here and in our fields have actually been in lethal force encounters. We also have watched co-workers and students go through them and the aftermath. We aren't trying to advertise and monetize our experience and we typically don't have websites declaring us experts.

I didn't really care about most of his stuff until he started trying to publicly pick apart LE UofF videos on YouTube. That would be like me trying to critique video of a firefighter putting out a fire or an ER doctor performing an emergency surgery. I may know a thing or two about both, have taken some classes taught by doctors teaching "tactical medicine," but nothing...absolutely nothing...qualifies me to make public commentary critiquing their actions. Because lets face it...no matter how many classes I've gone to, videos I've watched, and articles I've read, I don't actually do the job and I only sort of know what I'm looking at.

As for the actual topic of pistol mounted optics, I feel like I need to make a whole separate post (maybe I'll work on a really long one ). There are positives and negatives of running optics, and there are positives and negatives of running only irons. Different strokes for different folks in different use cases. I don't think they are necessary for everybody, but they may really help a lot of others.

It's getting old hearing people say optics are required, just like it's getting old hearing people (Ken Hackathorn) say they're "not there yet" or a fad.

...and let's leave the Amish and the Mennonites out it!

I have watched the video critique of at least two incidents that I was quite familiar with, having spoken to personnel from the agency involved and/or incident. The commentary was, let's just say, inaccurate. How one thinks they can watch a video, have no other information on the incident other than maybe related news articles, and pronounce judgement on what happened, how, and why is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Enjoy it while you can. I'd be more than happy if I could have stayed with irons on my carry gun.
    Hear hear. Going from 40 and 20/15 to 61 and bifocals blows chunks.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Which is worse? Click bait video or commenting on click bait video?

Without giving him a click, here's my say on all things Amish, optical, and geezerdom.

-One of the sweetest people I have ever known was Amish. She cleaned house for my grandma, and she thought little me was the best thing ever. That said, Amish will shoot any and every deer on anyone's property, and fish any pond the same way. My wife says they show up to pay six figure hospital bills with stacks of hundos. So they're either moving serious weight heroin or day trading on a laptop Bluetoothed to their neighbor's wifi.

-I've been using dots on rifles since the mid-1990s, which should exclude me from roundboy's characterization. I believe that BUIS on carbines are superfluous today, and would mount two optics rather than one + irons. I'm playing around with RDS on pistols, but my aging, ever-changing eyeballs have hit a sweet spot this month, and I can see my FO front like a dot. I'll file that under "nice while it lasts." Pat Mac is correct that if you've shot a lot, you can cheat with a combo of shitty vision and iron pistol sights.

-The only option to avoid becoming a geezer is to die before you get there. If you successfully avoid early death, intentionally or by accident, you will find that in the firearms world time is a flat circle. It feels kind of like the deja vu of reincarnation, in which you have this vague idea that you've seen this show before. And you have, because what goes around does come around, to wit, the current love of the 2011 and SA triggers.

Peace out, Hambo the not-Amish Sortageezer
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Once.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List