Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: MAC 1911-9 DS

A semi-interesting thing about the factory guide rod. It is one piece with a small hole for a paper clip. This isn't unusual. What's different is that the rod itself is drilled clear through. In essence, it is just a really long version of the standard GI guide.

The Atlas Gunworks tool-less rod for the 4.25" Prodigy fits in the MAC and hand cycles okay. I assume the gun would run fine with the Atlas and a conventional 12 or 14 pound spring as a replacement.

I'd guess the EGW .25" flat wire guide rod itself would work except the reverse plug is probably not going to bottom out properly in the slide. That's just a guess. The reverse plug in the MAC could be made in someone else's pattern. I do know it has a different shoulder than the Prodigy reverse plug. But maybe there's someone else's plug that will work?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 02-29-2024 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post

The gun should be in tomorrow or Friday.
    @60167 any news for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    @60167 any news for us?

Apparently the shop was closed when they attempted to deliver. Now we wait until next business day/next time I’m available to go pick it up. I feel like I never have a good experience when I order guns online.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Apparently the shop was closed when they attempted to deliver. Now we wait until next business day/next time I’m available to go pick it up. I feel like I never have a good experience when I order guns online.
    Name:  IMG_7840.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  31.8 KB
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

I just got a 14# recoil spring from Atlas and swapped it for the factory spring. It made the gun a little easier to cycle but it still seems a bit stiff. I probably could have gone with a 12 pounder but I do want to keep it fairly heavily sprung for JHP stuff. Not that I plan on shooting a ton of defensive ammo but I kind of want to keep that as an option without changing out the spring.

On a related note I also bought an Atlas +1 lockback follower to try. The mag I put it in now holds 19 rounds and can be seated fairly easily on a closed slide. Maybe after a little use I'll be able to cram 20 into it.

Atlas mag.

It will take 20 but it is crammed full and is very hard to seat on a closed slide. Loaded with 19 it seats easily.

I swapped out the factory recoil spring for a 14# spring from Atlas. The gun seems to work better now. I had no failures to lock open now using the same 130-ish power factor ammo I used last time.

The gun, overall, continues to work well. It shoots good and is fun to shoot. Trigger is still a bit heavy. Fine for SD or general carry at around five pounds but a tad heavy for fast and cool splits for an Instagram video.

I did bend in the extractor a bit more. I only tried five rounds with no mag in but ejection seemed consistent.

The only complaints I have at this time involve the optics plates. I still haven't used the RMR plate because I haven't come up with a solution for taller sights yet. If I have to pay a Smith to install some taller sights I might as well wait until I have about 1,000 rounds through the gun to see if it needs any other work. The other complaint is that the rear sight iron sight plate came loose again. It gets loose about every 150 rounds. I put some orange Permatex on the screws this evening. Hopefully they will stay put now until I get something figured out for optics.

Here's a little something I found while dry firing the pistol. Pressure on the exposed bump on the slide stop axle will push the slide stop out of the frame when the slide is forward. I'll take a good look and see if I can't find out what the issue is. Just one more thing to watch out for when inspecting a MAC for possible purchase....

A couple of quick measurements of the MAC and a Prodigy slide stop show:

MAC pin .201"

Prodigy pin .197"

MAC top to bottom of lobe .243"

Prodigy top to bottom of lobe .253"

The Prodigy slide stop fits into the MAC and seems to stay put like it should. The MAC pin's diameter is too large to fit into the Prodigy. It won't even start to fit.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 03-17-2024 at 08:22 AM.

Name:  IMG_7840.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  31.8 KB
    STILL WAITING. I have the worst luck.

User Tag List