Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sight Pushing Nirvana, At Last!

Sight Pushing Nirvana, At Last!

Hi,
    Well after years of trying different things and different Tools...

Finally broke down and bought, what I think is the ultimate Sight Pusher...

The MGW Sight Pro!

This Tool uses dedicated "shoes" that hold the Slide by the grooves for a solid lock to the tool.

With these Gun Makers using Hydraulic Presses to install Sights these days, that seems to be the problem with the cheaper options!

For anyone interested, Optics Planet now has this top model on Sale for $256 (w/free shipping!) which believe me is a deal.

Most people want that for a used one, IF you can find it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FyZLtJCBXs&t=770s

Name:  106093370_3015836195165736_9069379291758393690_n.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  78.7 KB

I have their Rangemaster and it’s come in handy. I only have M&P and Shield shoes, I ought to get some others

Site Supporter
    Many of us use that tool. After some of my experiences paying gunsmiths to install sights, I strongly prefer to install my own.

The current Optics Planet sale price is a good one.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Many of us use that tool. After some of my experiences paying gunsmiths to install sights, I strongly prefer to install my own.

The current Optics Planet sale price is a good one.
    How is the learning curve with this tool?

I often end up having a gunsmith swap out sights on my 1911s, and this would have paid for itself easily over the years. Does it work well for typical Novak front and rear sight cuts? Would it include everything needed to use on 1911s?

I have one. I've tried less expensive ones. They don't work.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    How is the learning curve with this tool?

I often end up having a gunsmith swap out sights on my 1911s, and this would have paid for itself easily over the years. Does it work well for typical Novak front and rear sight cuts? Would it include everything needed to use on 1911s?
    The learning curve is not difficult at all. Simply slide the shoe between the rails of the slide, put the screw in through the bottom into the shoe, and tighten the sides against the sides of the slide. The top is held on by a pair of big thumb knobs. The top also includes a height adjustment. Set the height adjustment so that the pusher in the top is as close to the top of the slide as reasonably possible without touching the top of the slide. Do you want to get as low as possible, on the site, without scraping the slide.

I checked the sight position with digital calibers, adjustments accordingly. I can typically get with a few thousandths of an inch of centered.

If a sight is really difficult to move, don’t try to force the tool, and use a hammer and punch. Sometimes, when installing a sight, you will need a hammer and punch at first. Once the sight is completely within the dovetail, you will then be able to move it using the pusher.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Hi,
    Yes, the Optic Planet sell price with free shipping is the best I could find!

Years ago, this same tool was close to $400, from what I hear???

I just watched Vids with the knock offs of this tool and wasn't impressed...

Finally decided to get the real thing!

Name:  20201005_152713.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  50.5 KB

Agree this is probably among the best, if not the best, sight tools. I've tried several sight tools plus a hammer and a punch, everything can be made to work eventually, but nothing is as slick, quick, and precise as this thing. And I have yet to have it damage any slide or sight. I have the Rangemaster, with shoes for Glocks and Sig P365 series. They're $$, but if you do the math and figure what you'd pay somebody to do sight changes or adjustments for you, it's well worth it after just a few times.

Site Supporter
    Hmm. I’ll have to look into this.

I have the MGW tool specifically for Sig Sauer P2XX pistols. It works great. But… it’d be nice to have a solution for other makes.

Thanks for sharing.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

I have an MGW Sight Pro. It's a truly quality tool that makes me happy when I use it. I've used it countless times on my guns, but also on a whole bunch of other peoples'. When someone needs sights worked on and I don't already have the shoe for their gun, I ask them to buy it. I have a decent collection at this point.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List