Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sight Pushing Nirvana, At Last!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    If a sight is really difficult to move, don’t try to force the tool, and use a hammer and punch. Sometimes, when installing a sight, you will need a hammer and punch at first. Once the sight is completely within the dovetail, you will then be able to move it using the pusher.
    This point can’t be stressed enough. I’ve seen people (and by “people,” I really mean me) actually damage the tool and sight a bit by forcing it. A few taps with a hammer and punch, or even a few passes with a file (on the sight of course) are the way to deal with a sight that just doesn’t want to go in easily right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is a great tool, I use mine on a lot of installs. I was also taught years ago by a few well know local smiths how to install sights by hand. The tools are great for most modern pistols, but I find it therapeutic to hand install some sights.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Site Supporter
    One point which should be understood particularly if filing the sights: The sights are designed for an interference fit. The metal of the sights is softer than the metal of the slide. The sight dovetail is slightly larger than the dovetail cut in the slide. As the sight is installed, the dovetail of the sight compresses for the interference fit. A reasonable amount of force is required, but it should not be excessive.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

How does this model compare to the Glock one? Is it more robust? I had briefly tried to use the Glock version and it did not work for the sights I was trying to install. Granted, the sights probably should have been hit with a file, but I wasn’t left overly impressed with the Glock version.

Dammit, I've wanted one of these for years but have gotten by with cheaper ones. Ordered.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    So does anyone here have experience using one of these on a 1911?

I assume some removal of material from the new sight will be necessary prior to using the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post

For anyone interested, Optics Planet now has this top model on Sale for $256 (w/free shipping!) which believe me is a deal.
    You are not kidding, that’s the pre-2020 industry insider price.

Hi,
    If I knew, I would never see a 1911 type Pistol in my future, the Range Master for $185 at OP, would be a no brainer!

That is not my case...

Some people are taking the Wheeler knock off and setting it up to take the MGW "Shoes", but...

You still have the smaller not as robust, Pusher Assembly/Rod Dia., funky Handle (to me anyway) ect.

At some point you have to decide what makes you happy (content?) and just do it!

How well do these work with H&Ks such as the USP45?

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    If I knew, I would never see a 1911 type Pistol in my future, the Range Master for $185 at OP, would be a no brainer!

That is not my case...

Some people are taking the Wheeler knock off and setting it up to take the MGW "Shoes", but...

You still have the smaller not as robust, Pusher Assembly/Rod Dia., funky Handle (to me anyway) ect.

At some point you have to decide what makes you happy (content?) and just do it!
    I know someone who destroyed a P30 slide with the Wheeler- cracked it right under the left side of the rear where there's a void for weight management.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    How well do these work with H&Ks such as the USP45?
    The shoes make all the difference, and the MGW works great with any HK I have used it with- USP, USP-C, P30/30L, VP9/9L, HK45. The only thing I still use a punch and hammer on for sight work is on my P7's, for which there doesn't seem to be an appropriate shoe (that I have found, yet).

User Tag List