Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Revolver on the Way

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    So you're sayin there is a chance?

I have been trying to score one of the 4 5/8s model since they hit the market. Lost a couple of gunbroker auctions because the price got silly high. I would settle for a 5 1/2 tho.
    On the Bisley models yes. Should have more stainless and blue ones this year.,

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    So you're sayin there is a chance?

I have been trying to score one of the 4 5/8s model since they hit the market. Lost a couple of gunbroker auctions because the price got silly high. I would settle for a 5 1/2 tho.
    I wanted a stainless 5.5” Bisley Flattop, didn’t want a .357, and bought the first .44 or .45 I saw for the asking price. Just put a deposit on it before I left the store, sold a couple of things, and paid for it. Part of me wishes it had been the .45 so I could shoot ACP through it, but the .44 Special has become one of my favorite cartridges to load for.

It is an awesome gun.

The 4 5/8" midsize Flattop bisley in .44 special is the only Ruger that has interested me in quite a while (and I have a 10" Max, 6 1/2" Mundenized .357, a 357 LCR, Ruger 480 Alaskan, and a SRH .44 mag). About 10yrs ago got this Freedom Arms M97 in a package deal with intentions to sell it but it has become a favorite - Accurate, packable midsize, and can be loaded from mild to wild - so, I've been able to wait for a good deal on a Ruger .44 special.

Paul
    Last edited by paul105; 02-16-2024 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JEC View Post
    Here's a little background on the Flattop Bisley 44 Specials. In 2009 we (Lipsey's) convinced Ruger to make us a run of mid-size frame Flattops in 44 Special. Originally they only wanted to do 4-5/8" barrel models, but I finally talked them into making both 4-5/8" and 5-1/2" models. Reason being is most of the custom converted 3-screw Ruger 357's that had been converted to 44 Special were done with a 4-5/8" barrel myself included. Those guys may want something a little different and that proved to be a good move since the 5-1/2" guns outpaced the 4-5/8" by a small margin that first year. I was at a Ruger dealer promo that fall and Ruger's revolver product manager was working the show as well. He asked me if I'd gotten one of the Flattop's yet and I hadn't because we were still swamped with orders and mentioned that I'm partial to the Bisley model guns anyways. He said, well how about I just build you a Bisley model just pick a barrel length. After going back and forth over the day about it, he finally just said, I'll make you one of each. So those were the first two Bisley 44 Special Flattops. When I got them in at the office, all the guys here were all over them and said you have to order more. It kind of worked out because Ruger decided to catalog the standard Flattop 44 Special in 2010 so we got he exclusive on the Bisley version that year and have continued to run them ever since. After a few years we did add the stainless models. There was a small run of 7-1/2" guns for The Shootists and an even smaller qty of "mistake" Shootists guns that didn't have Shootists serial numbers.

I've always considered these guns as a Working Man's Keith #5. The 5-1/2" version is my favorite of the three lengths. Brian Pearce did a great article in Handloader Magazine on loading for these and I encourage you to find that article if you can. Ross Seyfried did a great write up on them for Gunsamerica. Ross was a big fan of the guns and commented that Elmer would have very happy with them.

Mechanically, these guns seem to be some of the better single actions Ruger has made. I attest a lot of that to new tooling and such. Generally the throat dimensions and tolerances are spot on with these guns.

I've loaded a lot of different loads for mine and have settled on a 250gr. Keith SWC with 8.0gr of Power Pistol. Runs right at 1000 fps out of my 5-1/2" gun and 975 fps out of my 4-5/8". Pressure is under SAAMI Spec and accuracy is exceptional. We've found that the Ruger's like cast bullets sized .431 in the 44's if you are casting or can select sizing when buying.

Just wanted to give a little of the back story on these. Since Covid the supply of these has been sparse, but I do anticipate seeing a better flow this year. I have a lot of single action revolvers, but the 5-1/2" Bisley Flattop 44 Special is my favorite.

Jason / Lipsey's
    Jason: Thanks for taking the time to share that knowledge with me and other List members. Greatly appreciated! And your comments lead me to believe that I am certainly going to be pleased when that jewel lands at my place this coming week! And I will definitely do all I can to track down the articles by Brian Pearce and Ross Seyfried. I wouldn't be surprised if I had already read both of them at sometime in the past, but had simply forgotten them. I am a particualrly avid fan of both those fine gentlemen.
    Last edited by 1911Nut; 02-16-2024 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I wanted a stainless 5.5” Bisley Flattop, didn’t want a .357, and bought the first .44 or .45 I saw for the asking price. Just put a deposit on it before I left the store, sold a couple of things, and paid for it. Part of me wishes it had been the .45 so I could shoot ACP through it, but the .44 Special has become one of my favorite cartridges to load for.

It is an awesome gun.
    I also have a 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk stainless .45 Colt (non-Bisley model) with the additional .45 ACP cylinder. I bought it back in the mid-90's (and it may have come from Lipsey, but I can't remember for certain). As soon as it arrived, I turned it around and sent it to Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision to do his magic on it. He smoothed up the action, lightened the hammer, and recut the forcing cone. I have shot it on occasion, mostly with hard cast Colt hand loads, but a few .45 ACP rounds have gone downrange as well. This pistol comes pretty close to meeting all the John Taffin criteria for a "Perfect Packin' Pistol".
    Last edited by 1911Nut; 02-16-2024 at 08:31 PM.

I desperately want a 4 & 5/8" stainless flattop Blackhawk in .45 Colt (even better if its a convertible). I'd want to get a Bisley hammer for it but I'd buy it with a standard hammer. Any chance this is going to happen this year? @JEC

Pearce and Syfried (and more) here:
    https://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/...cial_Articles/
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul105 View Post
    Pearce and Syfried (and more) here:
    https://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/...cial_Articles/
    Paul
    Paul:

Thanks very much for this terrific information!

I’d also like to see a 6 1/2” Flattop in 357 and/or 44 Special

User Tag List