Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 yard zero and figuring out shorter POIs?

@LowAndLeft The guys posting know what they are talking about. For comparison's sake, I entered 10, 15 and 25 yards as the commonly mentioned values for zeroing, so you can compare numbers.

Name:  Screenshot from 2024-02-15 06-40-24.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  65.4 KB

I uploaded the spreadsheet to my Google drive and shared it publicly, if you want to play with the numbers:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIK...ew?usp=sharing

I’ve really grown to prefer a 15yd zero confirmed for windage at 25yds.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Alternatively, zero at 12 or 13 yards and you will be very close from the muzzle to 30 yards. A Wheeler laser sighter can pay for itself in time and ammo saved, as you can get a zero within an inch or so without firing a round.
    Op was taling about 30 FEET, not yards.

I will also echo GJMs advice. I have used the Wheeler boresighter on two guns, soon to be a third. Red dot pistol, and iron sighted muzzle loader. The third one will be an aftermarket slide and 509t that I will be taking to red dot school. And when I start installing optics at the agency my Wheeler gear will be used every time. Extremely satisfied with the results. And it works on any gun (I use Lasermaxx and Lasergrips on many of my work guns) and the Wheeler also helps when coaching new shooters on natural point of aim without breaking the bank. It uses CR123x1 rather than three special hearing aid batteries x3 that only last a couple of months (Lasermaxx) and needing to partially disassemble the gun to replace batteries (Lasermaxx and Lasergrips)

pat

I zero at 25 but.can see the appeal of.a 15 yard zero

@LowAndLeft one other graphic I like to use to illustrate the effects of zero on a pistol: "In general", the closer the target is, the lower will be your point of impact vs. point of aim:

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-01-18 06-55-19.png
Views: 138
Size:  14.1 KB

With the same zero, as you move targets in, you may have to hold a little higher, to have rounds land on top of where you want.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    @LowAndLeft one other graphic I like to use to illustrate the effects of zero on a pistol: "In general", the closer the target is, the lower will be your point of impact vs. point of aim:

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-01-18 06-55-19.png
Views: 138
Size:  14.1 KB

With the same zero, as you move targets in, you may have to hold a little higher, to have rounds land on top of where you want.
    Good illustration. However, the opposite is true, and to a much greater extent for targets farther than the zero distance.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good illustration. However, the opposite is true, and to a much greater extent for targets farther than the zero distance.
    It just occurred to me that’s probably why I never seem to manage to hit those 35 yard targets on the longer field stages I’ve been on. I aimed high, assuming bullet drop, but maybe I should have aimed lower to account for a 25 yard zero. Did I say that right?

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Op was taling about 30 FEET, not yards.

I will also echo GJMs advice. I have used the Wheeler boresighter on two guns, soon to be a third. Red dot pistol, and iron sighted muzzle loader. The third one will be an aftermarket slide and 509t that I will be taking to red dot school. And when I start installing optics at the agency my Wheeler gear will be used every time. Extremely satisfied with the results. And it works on any gun (I use Lasermaxx and Lasergrips on many of my work guns) and the Wheeler also helps when coaching new shooters on natural point of aim without breaking the bank. It uses CR123x1 rather than three special hearing aid batteries x3 that only last a couple of months (Lasermaxx) and needing to partially disassemble the gun to replace batteries (Lasermaxx and Lasergrips)

pat
    That Wheeler boresighter is very handy. Used one to boresight 101 pistols before being issued and transitioned to m. We boresighted at 15, zeroed at 15, and verified at 25 yds. Probably saved us a fortune in ammo, especially zeroing with duty ammo.

10 yard zero and figuring out shorter POIs?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    It just occurred to me that’s probably why I never seem to manage to hit those 35 yard targets on the longer field stages I’ve been on. I aimed high, assuming bullet drop, but maybe I should have aimed lower to account for a 25 yard zero. Did I say that right?
    If you zeroed at 25, you’ll be ok at 35 without any holdover.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-18-2024 at 09:38 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    If you zeroed at 25, you’ll be ok at 35 without any holdover.

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content...ol_Zero_02.jpg
    Everybody, click this link @Clusterfrack gave you. Notice that if you have a close zero, that you will be shooting over your target at distance. Think about throwing a football. It arcs above your line of sight, just as your bullet arcs above your line of sight. The diagram @RJ posted has the bullet traveling straight. It doesn't. It arcs above your line of sight.

User Tag List