Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 870 Return To Zero Post Cleaning/Barrel Removal?

Remington 870 Return To Zero Post Cleaning/Barrel Removal?

Hey guys,

Google search didn't yield much.

I recently took apart my Vang Comp 870 to change some furniture on it and after reassembly the zero was off at 5, 10, 15 and 25 yards with federal fight control buck. It was consistently off, ie patterning eight inches left of center.

Are these things supposed to be "return to zero" or do I have to confirm zero every time I remove the barrel? Barrels aren't removed all that often so it's not a huge deal I was more curious than anything.

I didn't check my zero with slugs so I can't really comment on how "off" those might have been.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Hey guys,

Google search didn't yield much.

I recently took apart my Vang Comp 870 to change some furniture on it and after reassembly the zero was off at 5, 10, 15 and 25 yards with federal fight control buck. It was consistently off, ie patterning eight inches left of center.

Are these things supposed to be "return to zero" or do I have to confirm zero every time I remove the barrel? Barrels aren't removed all that often so it's not a huge deal I was more curious than anything.

I didn't check my zero with slugs so I can't really comment on how "off" those might have been.

Thanks guys!
    My 870P with a ghost ring never changed zero.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Is the “furniture” anywhere near the fore end or barrel? Some aftermarket fore ends will touch the barrel, especially if any twisting force is applied.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Is the “furniture” anywhere near the fore end or barrel? Some aftermarket fore ends will touch the barrel, especially if any twisting force is applied.
    Nope.

I wasn't putting any twisting force on the fore end so I can't imagine I was pulling on the gun that much. Hmmm.

Any chance it wasn't tight when you sighted it in?

Check to see that the fore end is fully and firmly seated. If you don't have the fore end tube nut fully seated, it may keep the barrel from fully seating.

Put the shotgun together. Snug the mag tube end cap. Drop the shotgun a couple inches onto the recoil pad to fully set the barrel. Snug end cap again. Open the action and check to see if the ejector and barrel extension/hood are mated as in this picture:

Name:  1Rem Ejector.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  39.2 KB

You shouldn't be able to grab the barrel and shift/twist it with any movement.

Additionally, make sure you are assembling and installing mag tube extensions correctly.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

What, if any, mag tube extensions are you using?

I had an issued 870 police magnum that I ditched the factory +2 extension for a Wilson +1, because the factory clamp would push the extension and barrel apart, and creating hangups in the mag tube.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    What, if any, mag tube extensions are you using?

I had an issued 870 police magnum that I ditched the factory +2 extension for a Wilson +1, because the factory clamp would push the extension and barrel apart, and creating hangups in the mag tube.
    Some barrels were absolutely not compatible with some receivers/magazine tubes. I was once told why but can no longer recall the deal.

In other cases it was tolerance stacking.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Some barrels were absolutely not compatible with some receivers/magazine tubes. I was once told why but can no longer recall the deal.
    I know for certain that on my current 870P/DEA-type low-profile XS sighted barrel setup, I need a factory clamp that has an "X" stamped on it right near the hole for the clamp's transverse screw. A clamp minus the "X" really tried to push the barrel and extension apart... as in "this is going to damage something" apart.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

It's a vang 870 with their plus two extension.

I am using a Magpul barrel clamp.

That could be what caused the point of impact shift. That actually makes sense. I torqued the clamp to the same spec but its' not oriented EXACTLY the same as it's impossible to put that back in the EXACT same spot every time.

Anyone think this is a valid theory?

The barrel is seated fully to the poster that mentioned it.

User Tag List