Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 vs S&W M&P

Glock 19 vs S&W M&P

I am thinking of getting a poly 9mm caary gun. I have been thinking of a Glock 19. But before I buy one I wanted to get some info about the M&P model S&W.
    I don't know much about the M&P but how does it compare size wise to the Glock. Specificly in the grip area. I have always found the Glock alittle fat in the grip even with the Gen 4 replaceable back strap. So how about the M&P is the grip thinner front to back and/or is it thingger side to side?
    Makers of fine leather for the 1911

It has a more ergonomic grip with swappable inserts that range from small to large. I recommend renting or borrowing a sample to shoot side by side with the G19 to see which works better for you.

Ultimately you may be comparing apples and oranges because there is no G19 sized M&P - there is the M&Pc which is a bit smaller and the standard M&P which is a bit larger, but nothing right in the G19 sweet spot.

Site Supporter
    I've e-mailed S&W several time's requesting they make an M&P45c size gun in 9 and 40. That would be my perfect carry gun ( with Crimson Trace Lasergrips of course).

I would shoot both S x S. A lot of times perceived ergonomics don't mean as much as we think they do.

I like grip angle on the M&P more than the G19's but am not all that sold on the M&P trigger. Both shoot very well and are well supported with after market accessories. If you can shoot them side by side then try to test out some other's as well. I'd intended to purchase either an M&P 9 or 4th gen G19 myself but decided to try a Ruger SR9 and purchased one a few month's back which has suprised me with it's trigger pull and out of the box reliability.

I can get some more exact measurements later, but I just grabbed my calipers, my M&P9 with small backstraps and my g/f's G19gen4 with no backstrap, and the Glock's grip is smaller both front to back, and side to side by a few hundredths of an inch. Trigger reach is a little longer on the Glock, I did not measure trigger reach at break.
    That being said, the M&P 'feels' smaller because the shape of the grip is more rounded, while the Glock grip is more blocky. the Glock finger grooves may have something to do with that as well (I measured from the low point of a finger groove to the backstrap.)
    twitter.com/ddbaxte

M&P45 mid-size next to a G19:

Here is a G19 on top of a M&P45 mid-size:

note that an M&P9 is a bit smaller than an M&P45 mid-size

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by G60 View Post
    I can get some more exact measurements later, but I just grabbed my calipers, my M&P9 with small backstraps and my g/f's G19gen4 with no backstrap, and the Glock's grip is smaller both front to back, and side to side by a few hundredths of an inch. Trigger reach is a little longer on the Glock, I did not measure trigger reach at break.
    That being said, the M&P 'feels' smaller because the shape of the grip is more rounded, while the Glock grip is more blocky.
    Width and depth are not as important as diameter, which the Glock has problems with due to their obstinate insistence on sticking with their original rectangular grip cross-section. It's those blocky corners on the grip that cause people to have difficulty reaching the mag release, or push shots to the left because their trigger finger contacts the frame. It can be worked around, of course, but it causes the gun to have a rather proprietary nature.

I like my 19, at least as much as it's possible to like a disposable plastic wheel chock, and keep finding excuses not to trade it in on a second Smith, but right now it's definitely just a backup for my M&P 9.
    Last edited by Tamara; 11-14-2012 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Expanded thoughts and translated into English.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I, too, would like to see a "mid-sized" M&P 9/40 released. I'm heavily invested in Glocks and that's not going to change anytime soon due to what I'm issued. However, if I had to start all over again today with no "issue gun" to consider, I'd have a hard decision between Glock and M&P. Every time I shoot an M&P I'm very impressed with them. (PPQ is interesting now, too...)

I haven't shot Glocks or M&Ps all that much. But, the M&Ps I've used feel much better in my hands than the Glocks. I've had no issues with the M&P triggers either.

The only Glock I really liked was one of the ported ones converted into a machine pistol by a licensed manufacturer I used to know. That was fun! I was able to keep four round bursts
    of 9mm on a five gallon bucket at 20 yards without problems.

User Tag List