Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: To G or not to G...help me build a Pizza gun

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    The 6280LASD was developed at the request of my former department for a few separate reasons that converged at the same time.

First, the Special Enforcement Bureau (SEB) was looking for a holster to fit their Beretta 92A1 and Wilson Combat Brigadier Tactical pistols with Surefire X300 Ultras and DG Switches that many had begun carrying once we got "G" models approved.

Second, many deputies who had decided to continue to carry the Beretta rather than to convert to the M&P had purchased the Surefire MR-11 adaptor rail for the 92F/FS and added a Surefire X300 Ultra. Many had significant difficulty during training classes drawing for two reasons. The first was that the holster body covered the safety and they therefore had to deactivate the safety after drawing the pistol from the holster (this was a bit of BS - there's an easy way to do it and I did it for years in patrol, but rather than practice the technique, there was much poop-talking the holster from both instructor staff and deputies in general) and second was that the Safariland light-bearing holsters for Berettas were designed around the Streamlight/Insight plastic rail, not the bulkier MR-11, and that made the holsters excessively tight.

Because of all that, we wanted a holster that would accomodate a wide range of Beretta pistols - everything from the BrigTac with a DG switch to a 92F with an X300, MR-11, and DG switch. We also wanted compatibility with CTC lasergrips, the safety to be accessable while the pistol was still seated in the holster, and to get rid of most of the suede-type lining that caused unnecessary friction and draw difficulty.

I remember one of my partners with a prototype and a dremel cutting away part of the body until we were all satisfied that the safety was sufficiently uncovered. The final verson works very well. As the thumb drives the SLS hood down and forward the thumb almost "automatically" knocks the safety into the fire position.

Safariland achieved the wide range of pistols the 6280LASD accomodated by overlapping the kydex (much like other 6280 holsters) but with a wider range of adjustment via the screw/spacer at the rear of the holster body. THere was also a "ramp" at the back of the holster per our request - to minimize wear to DG switches.

I gave my 6280LASD away when I was packing to move so unfortunately I don't have pictures.
    Would this holster work with a full-size Langdon tactical 92 and a surefire X 300?

Quote Originally Posted by stinx View Post
    Would this holster work with a full-size Langdon tactical 92 and a surefire X 300?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Yep.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    You’re going to hate this, but when I realized that the PX4 barrel ODs are the same between .40 & .45 I had the thought to convert one to 45GAP.
    This made it move a little.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Pardon the ridiculous amount of oil on it, but she's starting to look like a gun again!

Not too bad for throwing it together in a week or so. The frame that arrived turned out to be brand new with a straight dustcover to boot. I'm pretty pleased with that.

The Wilson stuff arrived this morning so I'll install the rear at work tomorrow. There is a gritty spot on take-up in single action (DA is perfect). I think I've isolated it to the rear of the trigger bar. I'll work on it tomorrow as well.

I'm disappointed that the Palmetto Leather IWB from Wilson won't work because of the hook on my factory trigger guard. Back to Wilson it shall go. I need to find a IWB holster that will work. She's hefty and I prefer only 10 degrees of cant. This may be tough to find.

Some Random Thoughts:
    - The plastic Beretta trigger is just stupid (the frame came with one).
    - The plastic mainspring plug lanyard loop is pretty lame as well (I have a metal one I'll swap out).
    - The reset on the LTT trigger bar and Beretta Match hammer is near ridiculous. I love it.
    - I probably polished the hammer a bit much and gave it more take-up than if I had left it alone. I'd rather have too much take-up than not enough though, so I'm fine with that.
    - I hate Allen head grip screws. Whoever thought of that should be flogged (sorry, not sorry, if they are members on this forum)
    - The VZ grips were a big huge disappointment. They're too aggressive in the wrong spots and interfere with the trigger bar. Yeah, I could modify them, but for $75 screw that. They're going back. I have a set of black LOK grips on the way, but she'll wear factory grips until then. Sorry VZ, I usually like you.
    - A 13 lbs mainspring seems pretty light in SA. I'm hoping she has enough oomph. If not a D spring shall go in.

I'm still debating the front sight. I have the Wilson orange ring tritium in hand the super skinny FO from Dawson on the way. Eenie, meenie, miny, mo....
    Last edited by KevH; 02-18-2024 at 07:15 PM.

Where did you get the frame?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Where did you get the frame?
    Some place called Zebulon's Lounge in Georgia. He seems to be splitting up NIB Berettas and selling the frames and slides separately. The frame was $300 (with two mags and the factory box) and he shipped it overnight super quick. His slides/barrels are listed on eBay for a shocking amount of money. I won't speak ill though since his communication was outstanding and it got here really fast.

Kev, if the VZ Palmswell Tactical Slants were too aggressive, I'd suggest the VZ/LTT/Wilson G10 Ultra Thins; VZ makes all three, and prior to installing my VZ Palmswell Recon2s (which are even more aggressive than your Tactical Slants) they (in my case, the LTTs) were my favorites. I'd want them back, but if you'd like to try a set for a week or so, I'd be happy to lend you my LTTs.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Kev, if the VZ Palmswell Tactical Slants were too aggressive, I'd suggest the VZ/LTT/Wilson G10 Ultra Thins; VZ makes all three, and prior to installing my VZ Palmswell Recon2s (which are even more aggressive than your Tactical Slants) they (in my case, the LTTs) were my favorites. I'd want them back, but if you'd like to try a set for a week or so, I'd be happy to lend you my LTTs.

Best, Jon
    Thank you Jon! That's incredibly generous of you, but I think I'm going to stick with LOK for this gun.

A little update.

I replaced the rear with the Wilson. I wish I would have de-horned the Wilson rear before install since it has some unnecessarily sharp edges. I'm just going to run it for now and see how it goes. I can always work on that later.

I must eat some crow though. I just talked smack in the MGW sight pusher tool thread. Guess what I ended up having to use? You guessed it, heat and the stupid pusher tool. That rear was in there! I ended up using the vise and punch to get it nice and centered though.

I'm hoping my Dawson FO front arrives soon. The front is staked so heat and the MGW tool will probably be necessary again. I have a feeling that's going to be a whole task, but maybe not.

I polished the trigger bar a tad. There is still some gritty creep on take-up (not present with trigger reset...so I think its still in the trigger bar interface) present in single action. I think I'm just going to run it and hope it breaks in.

I measured the trigger pull using a Lyman digital scale (hardly the most accurate device, but not terrible). DA=~8lbs and SA=~3.5 lbs. Not bad, not bad at all...

User Tag List