Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ed Brown EVO CCO9

EBs are nice, but I'd hardly call them "full boat". That moniker doesn't belong to a boutique, semi-production company like EB, or Nighthawk, or Wilson, etc. For me, companies in that niche have reached the point of diminishing returns. At their current prices they just aren't worth it, to me. These days, if a Dan Wesson can't get it done, I'd be more likely to make the jump to bespoke custom.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    But, it was reliable, accurate, easy to shoot, and even with a steel frame an easy gun to carry.
    I ordered a KC9 via Brownells to Germany and like it very much. We are not allowed to carry here (except on a shooting range). But I can confirm the rest. I use mine for sport shooting (just for fun and want to use it in IPSC Classic Division).

Trigger pull weight was a bit heavy when it came over the big pond (5.1 lb). The grip safety had to be pressed in deeply. I brought it to a good gunsmith. He tuned both according to my taste. Now the trigger weight is 3.6 lb and the trigger break is very crisp.

Price was one kidney (regular price here is 3900 € = $4200, I paid 3500 €).

My other pistols are some HKs and a Glock. Wanted to add a high-quality modern 1911, full steel and 9 mm; it worked out great. The KC9 trigger is so great, this is the biggest advantage I notice compared to my HKs and Glock.

I also like that it comes from a city very close to the village where Mark Twain was born and lived as a boy. In elementary school, we played Tom Sawyer as theater. And I find this Mark Twain quote very wise:

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live. To live a fulfilled life, we need to keep creating the "what is next", of our lives. Without dreams and goals there is no living, only merely existing, and that is not why we are here.
    This is the beautyful piece. A dream came true:

Name:  KC9.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  99.9 KB
    Last edited by P30; 02-12-2024 at 02:15 PM.

The slide is quite thin compared to my P30 and SFP9, makes it look very elegant. These pictures from Brownells give a good impression:

On my picture above it looks like it just had a big lunch (perspective distortion). The Brownells pictures do better justice to the pistol's shape.

edbrown.com/evo-kc9:
    The re-engineered slide has been shortened to 4", thinned substantially for weight reduction, and includes a unique 7-top custom cut, with special front and rear serrations.
    On the other hand, the grip panels are a bit thick (the second picture shows this but maybe even a bit exaggerated compared to reality). I bought thinner grips but have not installed them yet.

PS:
    Shot off-hand from 25 m (= 27,3 yd):

Name:  Zielscheiben2.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  46.5 KB

The KC9 can shoot much better than me, but I was fine with these hits. With 115 gr bullets, mine shoots POA = POI @ 25 m (shot both targets with 115 gr). With 124 gr, it shoots a bit high @ 25 m.
    Last edited by P30; 02-12-2024 at 03:54 PM.

P30's post reminds me of that thin slide. That is one potential downside of these guns depending on your holster preferences. Mine either needed very good retention adjustment or a little reforming of the shell with kydex holsters in order to minimize slop. I did not try them in leather. Point is, they may not work perfectly in the holsters you use for your other 1911s.

It is substantially thinner than a traditional 1911 slide, so much so that that was apparently the main reason for going with an external extractor - there isn't enough material in the slide for a traditional internal one. I think it likely helps to make a reliable 9mm gun, but there's some proprietary feature tradoffs to it.

P30's post reminds me of that thin slide. That is one potential downside of these guns depending on your holster preferences. Mine either needed very good retention adjustment or a little reforming of the shell with kydex holsters in order to minimize slop. I did not try them in leather. Point is, they may not work perfectly in the holsters you use for your other 1911s.
    I just looked up my notes and found this info:

The EVO series seems to be essentially a copy of the Wilson EDC 9 (which has basically the same top end as an EDC X9), [...]
    Maybe this info helps to find an EVO holster. @Elwin, do you agree that EDC 9 and EDC X9 holsters probably fit the EVO slide? I ask because I noted that several holsters are offered for these Wilson pistols.

I bought a 1:1 plastic model of the KC9 ($60). I plan to send it to a good kydex holster maker so that he can make a holster for my KC9 (want to use it in IPSC classic division).

PS:
    There are special EVO holsters but they are expensive (probably no secret for EVO friends):
    edbrown.com/product-category/holsters/1911-holsters/evo
    Last edited by P30; 02-12-2024 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    I just looked up my notes and found this info:

Maybe this info helps to find an EVO holster. @Elwin, do you agree that EDC 9 and EDC X9 holsters probably fit the EVO slide? I ask because I noted that several holsters are offered for these Wilson pistols.
    I don't think so. I believe the Wilson guns still have a traditional slide width, but I could be wrong. By "same top end" I think I was referring in that post to the contoured top of slide and more importantly the external extractor, single recoil lug, 4" bull barrel, and FLGR as common design elements geared towards reliability with 9mm. The tri- or seven- plane top of slide probably reduces weight on all of them, but the EVO just goes a step farther and significantly removes material from each side of the slide.

I wonder if slide width is similar to the Springfield EMP 4".
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I wonder if slide width is similar to the Springfield EMP 4".
    Slide width of my EVO KC9: (21.80 ± 0.05) mm = (0.858 ± 0.002) inch

I've just measured it with a digital caliper. I don't have another 1911, can't compare.

PS:

HK P30: 28.91 mm = 1.138"
    Glock 19: 25.45 mm = 1.002"

(with the same measurement uncertainty as above)
    Last edited by P30; 02-13-2024 at 02:27 PM.

User Tag List