Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Tisas 1911 ASF model vs Springfield 1911 Mil Spec model

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    Trooper 224, I cant' let go of the Springfield, MIL Spec. I very much like the fact the gun is made in the US, I like the upgraded sights which I likely need and a match grade stainless barrel is a nice little extra. Springfield didn't bugger up the design of the original, it only modified two things to make it more shootable and fun. I also think/believe the Mil Spec won't require as much tinkering as the Tisas. I don't yet have the lanyard loop figured out. I've seen it on some Mil Specs and not others. If I have the option for the lanyard loop, I'd take it to keep the gun closer to the original.
    A Springfield isn't a bad choice. If that's the way you go I doubt you'll be disappointed. The only 1911 I own that's truly mil-spec is a Colt made in 1916. I'm not against improving things. The inclusion of a match barrel isn't really a bonus, although companies would like you to think it is. A match barrel is irrelevant unless it's properly match fit to the gun. Something no production company is doing with their rack grade guns, including Springfield. My experience of "tinkering" with multiples of both brands in question doesn't bear out your viewpoint on that particular issue. I've shot Springfields into the ground, rebuilt them and worn them out again. This is not hyperbole.

Whichever way you go, just don't fall victim to analysis paralysis. Pick your choice, pay your money and enjoy.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 02-12-2024 at 08:41 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Tots, I very much appreciate you telling me about your experiences with Spring field 1911s. I was hoping to hear from at least one member, like you, who shot the hell out of a Springfield or two. I wanted, needed to hear some solid shooting experience facts to confirm I'm making a good, solid decision buying a Springfield!

Site Supporter
    Trooper 224, thank you again for bringing your knowledge to the table! I'm such a rookie I didn't know a match grade barrel has to be tuned to the gun it's going to be fit in. Another silly marketing ploy, but I wasn't really swayed by the match grade barrel claim as I know the gun will shoot far more accurately than I can. Remember I have only three years experience with a few small gaps. I don't think you're being hyperbolic when you say you shot the hell out out of more than one Springfield. Your experience with Springfields is greatly helping to cement my choice for the Springfield. My 1911 research will likely conclude after hearing your and Tot's experiences with Springfields Your right to say I have to feel confident with my manufacturer gun buying decision. I belief I've reached that point!

A 1916 Colt sounds like a sweet gun! I presume you don't shoot it? I wouldn't! I'd shoot the hell out of a new Springfield.

Ha-ha, Kimbers are pretty for viewing, but entirely impractical. I want a gun I can shoot, not one I have to dust off every week to keep it looking pretty!

Trooper 224, thank you again for bringing your knowledge to the table! I'm such a rookie I didn't know a match grade barrel has to be tuned to the gun it's going to be fit in. Another silly marketing ploy, but I wasn't really swayed by the match grade barrel claim as I know the gun will shoot far more accurately than I can. Remember I have only three years experience with a few small gaps. I don't think you're being hyperbolic when you say you shot the hell out out of more than one Springfield. Your experience with Springfields is greatly helping to cement my choice for the Springfield. My 1911 research will likely conclude after hearing your and Tot's experiences with Springfields Your right to say I have to feel confident with my manufacturer gun buying decision. I belief I've reached that point!

A 1916 Colt sounds like a sweet gun! I presume you don't shoot it? I wouldn't! I'd shoot the hell out of a new Springfield.

Ha-ha, Kimbers are pretty for viewing, but entirely impractical. I want a gun I can shoot, not one I have to dust off every week to keep it looking pretty!
    The antique's all original. Never overhauled or repaired, so it doesn't get shot. I put one magazine through it after I bought it and I'll probably never shoot it again. I didn't buy it for shooting.

If you're not hidebound on milspec details, you might want to consider Springfields Garrison line. The addition of even better yet sights and a beavertail grip safety might be welcome additions.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The antique's all original. Never overhauled or repaired, so it doesn't get shot. I put one magazine through it after I bought it and I'll probably never shoot it again. I didn't buy it for shooting.

If you're not hidebound on milspec details, you might want to consider Springfields Garrison line. The addition of even better yet sights and a beavertail grip safety might be welcome additions.
    @Danko
    This is a solid piece of advice. It and the Ronin are quite the guns. Also, I'm surprised @03RN hasn’t chimed in. He’s another champion (intended) of Springfield 1911s and currently has a loaded he’s pretty pleased with.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    @Danko
    This is a solid piece of advice. It and the Ronin are quite the guns. Also, I'm surprised @03RN hasnÂ’t chimed in. HeÂ’s another champion (intended) of Springfield 1911s and currently has a loaded heÂ’s pretty pleased with.
    The Ronin is sexy. I would have gone with the 4.25 lightweight version in 9mm, if I hadn't found Tisas. I still might, for reasons.

In a final plug for Tisas, there is the Stakeout. Comparable to the Garrison and Ronin.
    Name:  214831_preview.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  32.9 KB
    Last edited by Trooper224; 02-12-2024 at 10:24 PM.

Regarding Tisas and forged vs MIM, I know the slide and frame are advertised as forged, but I'm pretty sure some of the internals are MIM just like the Springfield. I could be wrong on that, but I think the "forged" advertising regarding the slide and frame (as opposed to cast frames like other budget 1911s, ie RIA), may be accidentally conflated with all forged internals. It's my understanding that you're probably not going to get all forged or machined internal parts until you get up to a significantly higher price bracket for 1911s, like Dan Wessons.

Point being that I'm pretty sure Tisas has MIM internals as well. However, there are people here who know much more about current offerings for 1911s than I do. If I am wrong, please correct me.

My personal quest for a reliable 1911 has been ongoing since before I was old enough to purchase a handgun from a dealer myself. So far I have been unsuccessful, but last year I picked up a Colt Series 70 "Limited Edition" that I have been planning to send to Frank Glenn for reliability work, and I'm hoping that will get me a 1911 that can go at least 1k rounds without a stoppage (over a series of 4-5 range trips with 200-250 rounds fired each session, and cleaning/lubrication in between). I need to get off my butt and send it off before its too late. I gotta imagine he won't be doing his work forever.

EDIT: To OP, if you plan on ever having a well-regarded 1911 smith do custom work on it, I've seen at least some that say they will not work on Filipino or Turkish made examples, so you may want to take that into consideration if you care about such things.

Project between CMP and Tisas

"The new 1911 comes in .45 ACP with a 5-inch barrel and Type E hammer. Two seven-round magazines came with the pistol, and walnut double-diamond checkered grips as well as repro brown plastic grips. The slide, frame and other metal bits come with a manganese phosphate finish, looking like the USGI pistols of old.

The pistol even comes marked as US government property, just like the issued pistols of that era. MSRP is $479.99."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...for-new-1911s/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Regarding Tisas and forged vs MIM, I know the slide and frame are advertised as forged, but I'm pretty sure some of the internals are MIM just like the Springfield. I could be wrong on that, but I think the "forged" advertising regarding the slide and frame (as opposed to cast frames like other budget 1911s, ie RIA), may be accidentally conflated with all forged internals. It's my understanding that you're probably not going to get all forged or machined internal parts until you get up to a significantly higher price bracket for 1911s, like Dan Wessons.

Point being that I'm pretty sure Tisas has MIM internals as well. However, there are people here who know much more about current offerings for 1911s than I do. If I am wrong, please correct me.

My personal quest for a reliable 1911 has been ongoing since before I was old enough to purchase a handgun from a dealer myself. So far I have been unsuccessful, but last year I picked up a Colt Series 70 "Limited Edition" that I have been planning to send to Frank Glenn for reliability work, and I'm hoping that will get me a 1911 that can go at least 1k rounds without a stoppage (over a series of 4-5 range trips with 200-250 rounds fired each session, and cleaning/lubrication in between). I need to get off my butt and send it off before its too late. I gotta imagine he won't be doing his work forever.

EDIT: To OP, if you plan on ever having a well-regarded 1911 smith do custom work on it, I've seen at least some that say they will not work on Filipino or Turkish made examples, so you may want to take that into consideration if you care about such things.
    You are wrong. The only MIM part on a Tisas is the recoil spring plug. As of late 2022/early 2023 Tisas stopped using MIM parts. If the pistol comes in a cardboard box it has MIM internals. If it's in a plastic box it's all machined.

I just sent a Tisas slide off to a well known gunsmith for some new sights. He doesn't have a problem working on one.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 02-13-2024 at 08:05 AM.

RJ, you research more intensely than I do. Which manufacturer and model gun did you finally buy?
    A Springfield Garrison 5" .45 ACP. As say, I have tinkered with it a lot.

Name:  IMG_3573.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  102.2 KB

User Tag List