Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tisas 1911 ASF model vs Springfield 1911 Mil Spec model

Site Supporter

Tisas 1911 ASF model vs Springfield 1911 Mil Spec model

While I'm aware there is a huge thread on the site about the Tisas 1911s, I'm considering buying the ASF model, but before I do I'd like to hear from some folks regarding a comparison of the Tisas 1911 ASF model to the Springfield 1911 Mil Spec model. I know the Tisas sells for about $420 and the Springfield about $620. I'm wondering why I should spend 420 bucks for a gun made in Turkey when for two hundred bucks more I could buy an American made 1911 from a company with a long history of manufacturing 1911s? I personally prefer buying American made guns and other products when possible and practical, particularly when I know the American made product is better in one or more ways. While I'm a relatively poor old guy, I don't see the 200 dollar difference in price as a valid consideration.

I have no intention of carrying this gun, I simply want a 1911 because it is an iconic gun created by John Browning 113 years ago. So I'd like to learn how to operate and shoot a 1911, taking it to the range every now and then.

I'm eager to hear any and all facts and opinions on this comparison!

Thank you, Danko!

If you want an accurate(ish) representation of the early model 1911's go for a Tisas.

If you want a 1911 with more "shooter friendly" features, go for a Springfield. Neither are American made, as far as I know. Tisas is Turkish and Springfield is Brazilian but assembled/finished in the states, last I heard.

"So I'd like to learn how to operate and shoot a 1911, taking it to the range every now and then."

Go for the Tisas, IMO and spend the money you saved on magazines and .45 ACP ammo.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    While I'm aware there is a huge thread on the site about the Tisas 1911s, I'm considering buying the ASF model, but before I do I'd like to hear from some folks regarding a comparison of the Tisas 1911 ASF model to the Springfield 1911 Mil Spec model. I know the Tisas sells for about $420 and the Springfield about $620. I'm wondering why I should spend 420 bucks for a gun made in Turkey when for two hundred bucks more I could buy an American made 1911 from a company with a long history of manufacturing 1911s? I personally prefer buying American made guns and other products when possible and practical, particularly when I know the American made product is better in one or more ways. While I'm a relatively poor old guy, I don't see the 200 dollar difference in price as a valid consideration.

I have no intention of carrying this gun, I simply want a 1911 because it is an iconic gun created by John Browning 113 years ago. So I'd like to learn how to operate and shoot a 1911, taking it to the range every now and then.

I'm eager to hear any and all facts and opinions on this comparison!

Thank you, Danko!
    It boils down to your priorities. The Tisas ASF will be closer to an actual WW2-era gun. The Springfield is American made and has better sights but deviates from the historical guns quite a bit.

Springfield has pretty good customer service.
    Last edited by Robinson; 02-11-2024 at 03:01 PM.

Site Supporter
    Thank you for your input. I would prefer the gun be very close to models used during the world wars. Can you or others point out how the Tisas and Springfield models are the same and different than the original 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    Thank you for your input. I would prefer the gun be very close to models used during the world wars. Can you or others point out how the Tisas and Springfield models are the same and different than the original 1911?

The top photo is the ASF. The 2nd is the mil spec.

Disregarding the differences in material (carbon v stainless) the sights, ejection port size, the slide serrations, the lanyard loop, and perhaps the hammer are the major differences.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Owning & enjoying both, an SA Mil-Spec (Defender) & a Tisas M1911A1 U.S. Army (aka, AFS), I am hard pressed to suggest one pistol over the other.

The grandson of Ellis Island immigrants & no disrespect intended, the Buy American thing just isn't part of my equation. Furthermore, while the Tisas is most certainly a Turkish firearm, as memory serves, SA (IL), not to be mistaken for the historical (Springfield MA) SA, has (had?) a history of outsourcing foreign-made components & firearms.

If you're looking for the more accurate-looking USGI 1911A1 clone, then I would definitely go with the Tisas. The Mil-Spec, with its SS barrel & bushing lower ejection port; 3-dot sights; angled slide serrations; large-shelf thumb safety; trigger & wood grips looks like a thrice-removed cousin to the USGI 1911A1.

While both pistols boast of forged slides & receivers, I do know for a fact that save for the recoil spring plug, there are zero MIM components in/on the Tisas M1911A1. I do not know the extent of MIM-vs-forged parts for the SA Mil-Spec.

Regarding their excellent fit, finish & overall workmanship, there is no appreciable difference between the two ... and the same holds true for functionality. Both, the SA & Tisas are very accurate & absolutely dependable - in fact, neither pistol has ever had a failure to feed, eject, etc., etc...

Putting myself into your shoes & based on my experience, I would opt for the Tisas, but only because of its price-point - i.e., I would use the money saved to purchase additional 45 ACP ammo &/or reloading components.

Lastly, and as an aside, I purchased a KART 400 Cor-Bon barrel for one of the two pistols. After much deliberation, I decided to fit it to the SA Mil-Spec, because, one, the Tisas really does look like a USGI pistol & secondly, the SA Mil-Spec, with its raised 3-dot sights & lower ejection port makes for a better host.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    If you want an accurate(ish) representation of the early model 1911's go for a Tisas.

If you want a 1911 with more "shooter friendly" features, go for a Springfield. Neither are American made, as far as I know. Tisas is Turkish and Springfield is Brazilian but assembled/finished in the states, last I heard.

"So I'd like to learn how to operate and shoot a 1911, taking it to the range every now and then."

Go for the Tisas, IMO and spend the money you saved on magazines and .45 ACP ammo.
    Springfield has moved away from the Brazilian slides and frames. They have been machining the forgings into frames and slides of their 1911s here in the U.S. for several years now.

Whether those raw forgings originate in the US, Brazil or Korea is not clear.

Site Supporter
    Thank you! I see Springfield upgraded the sights, and opened the ejection port a little. Do you think one model is constructed of better material than the other? Do you happen to know which gun has internal mechanisms closest to the original? I remember reading somewhere the original 1911 often jammed due to failure to eject? Do you think the expanded ejection port is warranted and valuable? I'm a complete newbie on the 1911, so I'll gladly take any facts and or opinions you or others are willing to offer

Site Supporter
    Believe it or not the lowered ejection port on modern guns doesn't affect ejection much.

The internals are pretty much the same as on the originals, but made with modern steel. Springfield does use some cast and MIM parts but they are of good quality.

And 1911s, especially in 45, will run just fine if set up and maintained properly.

The internals on most 1911's are pretty much the same as the original. There's some that will have an additional firing pin safety mechanism added in, but they'll usually let you know.

But before you drop a lot of money, see if you can go and try out an original spec version somewhere. There's a good reason for a lot of the changes you see from the GI pattern.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List