Thread: Inputs on SIG ROMEO8T ?

Site Supporter

Inputs on SIG ROMEO8T ?

I’m contemplating changing the optic on my 11.5” SBR. I’m currently running an MRO w/ lower 1/3 mount.
    Use case is a rifle for home defense and useful out to 100, maybe 200 yds. I’m in a semi-rural area with some long sight lines around my house and neighborhood.
    I like the MRO well enough, but have found it difficult to zero beyond 50 yds - probably a combination of my astigmatism, the 2 MOA dot, and possibly the parallax issues that I’ve learned are potential issues with MROs. Also, the dot doesn’t play well with a magnifier (which I thought might help with precision at 100 yds and beyond).

So… I find myself intrigued by the Romeo 8T
    https://www.sigsauer.com/romeo8t-1x38-mm.html

Seems like it offers all the advantages of an Eotech plus 100k hr battery life. I like the idea of a reticle with a dot, ring, and the option for hold-over dots. And the compatibility with magnifiers, should I choose to add one.

I know it’d be heavier than the MRO, but my SBR has a LAW folder on it, so it’s not exactly lightweight as it is…

Does anyone have experience with the Romeo 8? I’m wondering why it isn’t more common (aside from the fact that the “T” variant with the armor hasn’t been available for quite awhile until recently).
    Pros and Cons that I haven’t thought of?

Alternatively, I’ve also been eyeing the Aimpoint Duty, perhaps paired with a Unity Tactical 2.26” riser and complementary Unity optic mount.
    I know that would solve my (potential) parallax issue.

I just find myself drawn to the option of a somewhat more complex reticle. But if I’m spending Aimpoint-level money, I’d like some idea that the Romeo 8 would be useful and durable.

Anyway- inputs?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’m contemplating changing the optic on my 11.5” SBR. I’m currently running an MRO w/ lower 1/3 mount.
    Use case is a rifle for home defense and useful out to 100, maybe 200 yds. I’m in a semi-rural area with some long sight lines around my house and neighborhood.
    I like the MRO well enough, but have found it difficult to zero beyond 50 yds - probably a combination of my astigmatism, the 2 MOA dot, and possibly the parallax issues that I’ve learned are potential issues with MROs. Also, the dot doesn’t play well with a magnifier (which I thought might help with precision at 100 yds and beyond).

So… I find myself intrigued by the Romeo 8T
    https://www.sigsauer.com/romeo8t-1x38-mm.html

Seems like it offers all the advantages of an Eotech plus 100k hr battery life. I like the idea of a reticle with a dot, ring, and the option for hold-over dots. And the compatibility with magnifiers, should I choose to add one.

I know it’d be heavier than the MRO, but my SBR has a LAW folder on it, so it’s not exactly lightweight as it is…

Does anyone have experience with the Romeo 8? I’m wondering why it isn’t more common (aside from the fact that the “T” variant with the armor hasn’t been available for quite awhile until recently).
    Pros and Cons that I haven’t thought of?

Alternatively, I’ve also been eyeing the Aimpoint Duty, perhaps paired with a Unity Tactical 2.26” riser and complementary Unity optic mount.
    I know that would solve my (potential) parallax issue.

I just find myself drawn to the option of a somewhat more complex reticle. But if I’m spending Aimpoint-level money, I’d like some idea that the Romeo 8 would be useful and durable.

Anyway- inputs?
    The 8T is a great optic - particularly for passive aiming under NVG.

The primary downsides to the 8T are weight, cost and availability.

The Aimpoint duty is a viable choice, but if you like the option of a circle dot reticle and hold over dots for use with a Magnifier in a smaller package than the 8T take a look the Sig Romeo 4T.

My agency began issuing the 4T when Aimpoint discontinued our prior carbine optic, the H1. we’ve had several thousand of them in the field for a few years now without any significant issues.

The 4T uses any standard Aimpoint micro mounts. Although the forte technically does not have dedicated night vision settings, in my experience, it is usable for passive aiming on the lowest settings just like the aimpoint H2.

Because the Aimpoint duty has a partial riser built-in it may not be compatible with the unity mount or other standard micro mounts. I can’t remember if they fit on the standard micro mounts, or not but due to the built-in riser the optic height will be higher than it would with other models.

I believe there are aftermarket mounts specifically for the Aimpoint duty.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    The ROMEO8T actually does not have many of the advantages of an EOTech, such as no forward visual projection, sub-MOA dots on the reticle, (almost imperceptibly) superior light transmission and parallax-free-ness, dedicated NV settings, and usability even with a shattered objective lens.

As noted, it's still one of the better RDSes in terms of raw performance, so it's not a bad choice at all, though also noted is that it does have some drawbacks.

The Aimpoint Duty RDS is on a Micro footprint, but Unity (and other mount manufacturers) do make mounts specifically for the Duty (and for the Comp M5S).

Worth bearing in mind that the Unity mount for the Duty RDS and Comp M5S does not have the built-in BUIS of the Micro/Comp M5 and MRO mounts (one of the major selling points of these mounts for me).
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

No experience with the 8T but I have two 4XT Pros that have the same reticle option, lens filters and I believe the same NV settings. Previously had the Aimpoint Duty but sent it to a new home as I found the lenses to be extremely blue and the reticle presented as a cluster of grapes due to my astigmatism.

The 4XT reticle presents as a perfect circle in dot only mode, more so (if that’s possible) paired with a magnifier. From a height perspective it aligns perfectly with a PA Micromagnifier at 1.93 on a Scalarworks 1.93 mount. Granted, it isn’t a holographic sight and for the money the 4XT is hard to beat. Both MrGunsNGear and Hop have reviews of the 4XT Pro on YouTube that may be worth your time.

I don’t run the magnifier this close to the optic, this photo shows alignment when I was first pairing the two. The optic currently sits far forward on the upper receiver, the space between optic and magnifier as set now is imperceptible.

Name:  IMG_3378.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  35.5 KB

To maintain carbine proficiency, I try to shoot a magazine or two during pistol practice sessions. I enjoy shooting the EXPS more than Aimpoint, but a Holosun AEMS even more than the EXPS. I enjoy being able to choose dot, circle dot or just a circle depending upon what I am doing. I also like how compact the AEMS is, width wise. I have one on the Rattler and AUG I travel with.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List