Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Close to home - A reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    I've read that other places. I'm assuming that it's due to the criminal expecting no one to be home.
    Yup.

I would venture to guess that better than 90% of our residential burglaries are done in the day time, and when no one is home. Most of the night time burglaries will still be when no one is home and the bad guys have IDd the house as being vacant (person on vacation, etc.). Even the occupied houses entered at night are most often attached garages where the residents have left the garage door wide open.

The knock-on-the-door ruse to see if anyone is home is VERY common.

Business and car burglaries are most often at night, for obvious reasons.

True occupied night time residential burglaries are rare, and the bad guys who do them are very, VERY dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post

True occupied night time residential burglaries are rare, and the bad guys who do them are very, VERY dangerous.
    Exactly. They are a murder waiting to happen and have to be worked as such.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Exactly. They are a murder waiting to happen and have to be worked as such.
    Agreed. Or a very violent rape, then murder. In my area the "BTK Killer" is really famous.

Last year we had a series of burglaries/robberies locally that has shocked every single person I have given details to. Serious gun people get an "Oh Shit" look thinking about up to nine suspects, some with long guns, actually using tactics.

Last year we had a series of burglaries/robberies locally that has shocked every single person I have given details to. Serious gun people get an "Oh Shit" look thinking about up to nine suspects, some with long guns, actually using tactics.
    I'd think in that situation, there must be something special about the victims. An organized crew like that wouldn't hit houses at random. The proceeds of a typical random residential burglary wouldn't amount to much split 9 ways.

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    I'd think in that situation, there must be something special about the victims. An organized crew like that wouldn't hit houses at random. The proceeds of a typical random residential burglary wouldn't amount to much split 9 ways.
    In this case you would be mistaken.

Most home invasions are in fact dope rips. This was a whole different dynamic entirely. Average 'Leave It To Beaver' type familes for the most part.

It would have been useful if more people actually locked their frakking doors at night. Yes, seriously.

Site Supporter
    This was a whole different dynamic entirely.
    I can't help but think this sort of thing is probably going to be at least somewhat more common in the future.

When the Iraq war was really unpopular (i.e. '05-07 or so), we accepted more than a few people into the Army who we'd have never given the time of day in previous years. (we're talking a relatively small percentage of the total force IMHO, but I was absolutely shocked to see some of the prior offenses that were waived during this period). We're making an effort to get rid of the ones we have left now, at least those who didn't completely straighten themselves out, but the result is that IMHO you're likely to see an increasing percentage of dirtbags who actually have some level of formal training and combat experience. I've also seen reports of various gangs attempting to get members into the military for the purposes of skill acquisition...even if those reports are perhaps exaggerated, it only takes a few to be able to pass on at least some level of marksmanship training to scumbags who I'd really rather not know what sights are actually for.

If nothing else, that helps me justify what I've spent on training ammo lately.

(My JAG would probably tell me that I should add the obvious disclaimer that the above is strictly personal opinon and doesn't necessarily reflect the official views of DoD or the Army, nor is it intended to to reflect negatively on the vast majoritywho served honorably and for the right reasons...not that I think anyone on this forum would take it that way.)

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

While it's a different continent this sort of thing is common here. Groups of well armed bg's committing home invasion s with the intention of rape and murder with the theft sometimes appearing a secondary motive.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    I can't help but think this sort of thing is probably going to be at least somewhat more common in the future.

When the Iraq war was really unpopular (i.e. '05-07 or so), we accepted more than a few people into the Army who we'd have never given the time of day in previous years. (we're talking a relatively small percentage of the total force IMHO, but I was absolutely shocked to see some of the prior offenses that were waived during this period). We're making an effort to get rid of the ones we have left now, at least those who didn't completely straighten themselves out, but the result is that IMHO you're likely to see an increasing percentage of dirtbags who actually have some level of formal training and combat experience. I've also seen reports of various gangs attempting to get members into the military for the purposes of skill acquisition...even if those reports are perhaps exaggerated, it only takes a few to be able to pass on at least some level of marksmanship training to scumbags who I'd really rather not know what sights are actually for.

If nothing else, that helps me justify what I've spent on training ammo lately.

(My JAG would probably tell me that I should add the obvious disclaimer that the above is strictly personal opinon and doesn't necessarily reflect the official views of DoD or the Army, nor is it intended to to reflect negatively on the vast majoritywho served honorably and for the right reasons...not that I think anyone on this forum would take it that way.)
    While I get what you are saying, and know of cases, the crew I was talking about had absolutely zero .mil experience at all. Being evil, watching a lot of action movies, networking with other scumbags and having too much time on their hands was enough for them to come up with good ideas, some out of the proverbial box.

Example, if you ever think about going outside after a burglar/bad guy, think about the possibility that they have back-up, on your garage roof, with a shotgun, and two or three guys in a car down the block, with shotguns and .45s.

Seriously.

Site Supporter
    Example, if you ever think about going outside after a burglar/bad guy, think about the possibility that they have back-up, on your garage roof, with a shotgun, and two or three guys in a car down the block, with shotguns and .45s.
    Is this example drawn from a rural, urban or suburban setting? I ask because I am trying to picture the logistics of this kind of crew operating in my neighborhood, where houses are pretty close together, streets are lit and patrols are reasonably frequent, although there are small patches of wooded area as well. I would expect it would be difficult for that many people to go undetected for any length of time if they targeted, for example, a house on my block, but I've never given the scenario any thought.

User Tag List