Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Close to home - A reminder.

Close to home - A reminder.

My wife received a phone call this morning from one of our neighbors saying that their house had been robbed yesterday afternoon, in broad daylight. We live in a "nice", gated community and don't really see much, if any, crime.

Apparently 4 houses down from us a "skinny guy with lots of tattoos" knocked on the door of one of our neighbors, not the victim, holding a leash saying he'd "lost his dog" and asked if they'd seen one around. That particular neighbor is in her mid-50's and one of the nicest and most naive people I've ever met. She responded that she hadn't and the guy did an about face and moved along.

However, the neighbor across the street from her wasn't nearly as lucky due to being at work yesterday. They arrived home after work and found their house had been broken in to and they'd been robbed. Obviously there isn't conclusive evidence that "missing dog guy" was the culprit that I'm privy to but it is Vegas and I'd lay my odds on him being the perpetrator. His not so clever ruse worked perfectly on the other unsuspecting neighbor and I'm sure many people would fall for it.

Christmas time and the holidays are upon us and thieves will be looking to cash in on the opportunity as well. If something doesn't seem "right", it's probably not, and you should trust your Spidey sense and act upon it. When in doubt, call the police. Have a safe holiday season.

So they were burglarized. Not robbed. There's quite a difference. One insurance can fix. The other usually, or should at least, end with a slide or bolt locking to the rear on an empty gun.

I've had the same type of trick played on me in the past when I had a less defensive mindset. The guy was caught a bit off guard when I answered the door. I'm confident we would have been cleaned out had I not been home. I know better now to call the police promptly and report that kind of activity.

Quote Originally Posted by iGlock View Post
    So they were burglarized. Not robbed. There's quite a difference. One insurance can fix. The other usually, or should at least, end with a slide or bolt locking to the rear on an empty gun.
    Merriam-Webster is as follows:
    robbed rob·bing
    Definition of ROB
    transitive verb
    1a (1) : to take something away from by force : steal from (2) : to take personal property from by violence or threat b (1) : to remove valuables without right from (a place) (2) : to take the contents of (a receptacle) c : to take away as loot : steal <rob jewelry>
    2a : to deprive of something due, expected, or desired b : to withhold unjustly or injuriously
    Either way I give a shit less about splitting hairs and more about splitting scalps. I think either one deserves to have the slide locked back on your gun of choice.

Site Supporter
    Irish,

Do a google search for "Las Vegas Crime Map," and it will show you how the LVPD labeled the crime in your neigborhood. When I lived out there the crime map was very helpful in picking out a place to live, and it kept me informed of the type of crimes that were recently committed in the surrounding areas.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Merriam-Webster is as follows:

Either way I give a shit less about splitting hairs and more about splitting scalps. I think either one deserves to have the slide locked back on your gun of choice.

Well I only say that because there is quite a difference in someone who burglarizes an empty house and one who robs occupants. They are two totally different crimes and are met with two total different responses so I think a distinction is important.

My wife received a phone call this morning from one of our neighbors saying that their house had been robbed yesterday afternoon, in broad daylight. We live in a "nice", gated community and don't really see much, if any, crime.
    Residential burglaries are actually more common during the daytime than at night.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Residential burglaries are actually more common during the daytime than at night.
    I've read that other places. I'm assuming that it's due to the criminal expecting no one to be home.

I've read that other places. I'm assuming that it's due to the criminal expecting no one to be home.
    Exactly. Easier to steal stuff when you aren't getting shot at.

User Tag List