Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: reinforcing front entry way

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Most residential burglaries I worked over the years were the rear doors/side doors of houses. Apartments with only one door were the exception.

They used to knock on the front, wait until there was no answer, and go to the back to kick that door in. Prime times were weekdays during working hours, especially summer when “youths” were out of school.

Home camera systems linked to cellphones were a game changer. Dispatch would get live descriptions from the homeowners and we’d catch the cretins walking down roads and alleys.

Those blocking bars are effective as are the swing plates while you’re inside. There are doors/jambs made that are almost impenetrable. Years ago, I worked a murder/suicide and none of us could kick that housing project door open. We had to get Fire to break it open and they had a time with it.
    So on the apartments with one door did they just breach the door or attack window on side or rear?

The security storm doors can help harden the entry. It gives more time before breach. Even with a non-security main entry door, and it allows you to answer the door and talk to people with a locked barrier between you. Some are pretty nice looking.

I was going to install solid wood doors in one place I was for a while, they were very heavy, but time and situation didnt end up getting it done. They arent technically a security door, but would be very difficult to defeat. Home depot had them, other big box stores should also.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    So on the apartments with one door did they just breach the door or attack window on side or rear?
    Kicked the door if there was no patio slider. Worked a million of those.

My zones were heavy dope areas and a large majority of them were looking for recent shipments or cash.

Ground level patio sliders were popular as well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    any recommendations on those? I have used some at work and they were hot grabage. I have a contractor on deck just waiting for me to chose certain things. I purchased one of these already and am going to have him install https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-S...-Plate/3407896

also having him install a security door in front of our "pretty" front door. I will ask him to use screws long enough to hit the stud and also replace the screws in the front doors hinges to reinforce. I really am just looking to buy myself enough time If I am home to grab my AR that is near my bed and position between the door and my kids. I have dog overwatch as well
    Don’t know if this is brought up but only run one screw per hinge maybe two. Running a bunch can split up the stud and be weak.

I gotta do better with my door security.

My zones were heavy dope areas and a large majority of them were looking for recent shipments or cash.

How were the sliders entered?

Theres various ways to try to secure them, none of course work if the glass is broken, but I dont know how willing they are to do that. The security film can slow entry based on breaking glass out, but probably isnt commonly used.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

Theres various ways to try to secure them, none of course work if the glass is broken, but I dont know how willing they are to do that. The security film can slow entry based on breaking glass out, but probably isnt commonly used.
    I'm interested in how they were entered as well.

I have a couple of sliding glass doors (elevated back deck and then a patio area). I use track bars and mid-door bars along with a couple of battery powder high decibel alarms.
    I DO use double layered tinted security film, 3M iirc. I applied it to all the windows in my house as well as sliding glass doors.

I did test an old extra window I had by applying the double layered film and breaking it with a brick. It did pretty well, took some work to get through and didn't scatter broken glass all over my driveway (where I had it propped up testing it).

Any additional tips on securing sliding glass doors would be appreciated.

FWIW one of those sliding doors (patio) is downstairs (ground level bedroom that now is an exercise area). It's in the area of the garage foyer (opening into bedroom, washroom, bathroom, pantry / reloading room) at the base of my long stairs. I close that door (opens inward) and have it alarmed with the bar and wedge I linked above. And I set a motion detector towards those stairs at night. So at least there are layers of noise and inconvenience.

Of course there are battery/solar powered motion lights above and around those sliding doors... all around the house actually.

But if I can better secure the sliding doors, that would be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

Forced the little cheap latch lock with a screwdriver.

The more savvy residents would trim a dowel or broom handle and block the track with it.

Some were simply shattered. If there was a sizeable load of dope inside, it was smash grab run.

Some weren’t locked at all.

And assume with the patio sliders they just kicked glass in or threw something through it?

Edited to add: Didn't see you already answered someone else asking that question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I'm interested in how they were entered as well.

I have a couple of sliding glass doors (elevated back deck and then a patio area). I use track bars and mid-door bars along with a couple of battery powder high decibel alarms.
    I DO use double layered tinted security film, 3M iirc. I applied it to all the windows in my house as well as sliding glass doors.

I did test an old extra window I had by applying the double layered film and breaking it with a brick. It did pretty well, took some work to get through and didn't scatter broken glass all over my driveway (where I had it propped up testing it).

Any additional tips on securing sliding glass doors would be appreciated.

FWIW one of those sliding doors (patio) is downstairs (ground level bedroom that now is an exercise area). It's in the area of the garage foyer (opening into bedroom, washroom, bathroom, pantry / reloading room) at the base of my long stairs. I close that door (opens inward) and have it alarmed with the bar and wedge I linked above. And I set a motion detector towards those stairs at night. So at least there are layers of noise and inconvenience.

Of course there are battery/solar powered motion lights above and around those sliding doors... all around the house actually.

But if I can better secure the sliding doors, that would be a good thing.
    We are in apartment with those crappy sliding doors.

Besides blocking the track, we've essentially "fenced" the inside of it to create another barrier to someone entering that way. Put Industrial type shelving in front of it, used metal mesh/grill type shelving secured vertically to the Patio side of the shelves. The vertical shelf mesh keeps stuff pushed onto the shelves from falling off the back but also makes even crawling through the shelf impossible without first removing it.

A strong person or two could probably push the shelf over after defeating the patio slider, but it would be noisy, take more than a little effort, and would still be difficult to walk over.

The lower level has few hundred pounds of my free weights and dumbbells on the lower shelves, just those plus weight of the shelf itself is over 700 lbs. The rest of the shelves has gf's craft supplies on it, but top shelf has totes with her supplies in it stacked to almost touching the ceiling. So if someone tries to tip it over those totes on top shelf will jam against the ceiling. So it would probably take rocking it a bit to dislodge the top totes to get it to tip over.

If it wasn't a rental could do something like commercial security gate https://quantumsecuritygates.com/retail-security/ or possibly more elegant, like decorative wrought iron gate on inside or outside https://www.firstimpressionsecurityd...ry/iron-gates/
    Last edited by Dov; 02-11-2024 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I have Cameras already, based on some suggestions we got a some door wedges that sound alarms today. We also got a door knob jammer for the front door that also has an alarm. I purchased replacement screws, a new lock plate, and I have a contractor who is going to install a front steel security door.

Whew, thank goodness were frugal but you can't put a price on feeling a little more secure
    Since security door, HD latch plates, deck screws, et. al. have already been covered....hang your amputated fingertip from a string outside the door, with a sign reading, "Fuck around and find out!"
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List