Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: reinforcing front entry way

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Since security door, HD latch plates, deck screws, et. al. have already been covered....hang your amputated fingertip from a string outside the door, with a sign reading, "Fuck around and find out!"
    I may put it on the of a sharpened pencil like a small version of Vlad the Impaler

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Forced the little cheap latch lock with a screwdriver.

The more savvy residents would trim a dowel or broom handle and block the track with it.

Some were simply shattered. If there was a sizeable load of dope inside, it was smash grab run.

Some weren’t locked at all.

Thanks.

The one I was dealing with had the slider on the outside rather than inside, so the block rod wouldnt work. It may be possible to swap the doors so it would.

Mine had a pin through the frames in the upper corner where they overlapped. Having the rollers adjusted so the door cant be lifted out helps also. I dont know if all sliding glass doors have adjustments on the roller height but mine did.

Fortunately, there was a large dog in the back yard much of the time and the nearest neighbors kitchen window looked right at the back of my house with no cover.

Before getting both folks lifetime worth of accumulated stuff thinned out, if someone broke in and wanted to take any amount of it I probably would have helped them load it up.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    ....hang your amputated fingertip from a string outside the door, with a sign reading, "Fuck around and find out!"
    OK. I already clicked "Like", but as an old ass ER RN that is fu*king funny!

Impaled? Even better LOL

I've seen stranger things before. Don't doubt you guys have as well.

Thank God for Dark Humor

ETA:
    Thanks @Dov
    You've given me some good ideas and they won't even cost me anything!

Pella has a lock maybe it could be retrofitted to another door. Its a locking bolt that goes down through the frame. I think mine can be activated at all the way closed an a few inches open.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I'm interested in how they were entered as well.

I have a couple of sliding glass doors (elevated back deck and then a patio area). I use track bars and mid-door bars along with a couple of battery powder high decibel alarms.
    I DO use double layered tinted security film, 3M iirc. I applied it to all the windows in my house as well as sliding glass doors.

I did test an old extra window I had by applying the double layered film and breaking it with a brick. It did pretty well, took some work to get through and didn't scatter broken glass all over my driveway (where I had it propped up testing it).

Any additional tips on securing sliding glass doors would be appreciated.

FWIW one of those sliding doors (patio) is downstairs (ground level bedroom that now is an exercise area). It's in the area of the garage foyer (opening into bedroom, washroom, bathroom, pantry / reloading room) at the base of my long stairs. I close that door (opens inward) and have it alarmed with the bar and wedge I linked above. And I set a motion detector towards those stairs at night. So at least there are layers of noise and inconvenience.

Of course there are battery/solar powered motion lights above and around those sliding doors... all around the house actually.

But if I can better secure the sliding doors, that would be a good thing.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

How secure is your garage? Do you have a garage door opener in a parked car that can provide easy access to the house?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    How secure is your garage? Do you have a garage door opener in a parked car that can provide easy access to the house?
    No, we made that mistake once. Garage door is locked and garage door openers go into the house with us. The actual garage doors are also electronically locked and its impossible to lock from the outside even with the key.

Speaking of garage doors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXuifg1x_-Y

(I just picked the first vid of the type I came across, dunno if his method is best, but I've heard of places that was a common method of entry)

Had my house broken into a few times a bunch of years ago. Installed one of these kits, but dude breaking into the houses on the block was arrested before he could test it out. Easy install, but haven't had to figure out how well it works yet.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Door-Armor-...-White/3744197

A C clamp can be put on the track to keep the door from moving up if away or not using it regularly. The old school latches on the sides for the manual door unlock may work OK, I may look into it. No need to put the outside part on, at least I wouldnt.

I added a switch to the door motor outlet, I leave it off unless I need to open the door. I put it up about 5 ft high so theres no mistaking it for a light switch and leaving it on inadvertently.

Just saw this, using a zip tie to prevent the hanger trick,

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    A C clamp can be put on the track to keep the door from moving up if away or not using it regularly. The old school latches on the sides for the manual door unlock may work OK, I may look into it. No need to put the outside part on, at least I wouldnt.

I added a switch to the door motor outlet, I leave it off unless I need to open the door. I put it up about 5 ft high so theres no mistaking it for a light switch and leaving it on inadvertently.

Just saw this, using a zip tie to prevent the hanger trick,

I’m glad to see the zip tie trick getting publicity - it’s simple and effective.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List