Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: At What Point/Round Count Should an HK45C be Detail Stripped/Cleaned?

Use an air compressor and blow it out if you drop it into a sand pit . If it gets gunked up with powder fouling get some polymer safe spray cleaner and flush it out .

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Yesterday I had emailed James at Teufelshund Tactical about having my USP 45's converted to Hybrid Match LEM. While I was at it, I tacked on the same question about full disassembly and cleaning regarding the HK45C. Here was his response:

"I would recommend every 5000 rounds to fully disassemble, clean, inspect and reassembly a firearm."

I'm not yet sure if I'm going to send my USP's to him or back to HK. It sounds like he may be a little less expensive, but I'm not sure. Part of me wants to deal with him just because I've watched his stuff for years.
    If it makes you sleep better at night, go ahead and toss the money away. He recommends servicing at that interval because it's overly-cautious ("better safe than sorry") and he makes money doing it.

Also...don't fall for the 3,000 mile oil change interval that the oil change shops recommend.

You asked what everyone recommended, ignored the overwhelming "shoot it, and maybe field-strip clean it every now and then" responses, then went searching until you finally found an answer you liked better (and costs more money).

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    If it makes you sleep better at night, go ahead and toss the money away. He recommends servicing at that interval because it's overly-cautious ("better safe than sorry") and he makes money doing it.

Also...don't fall for the 3,000 mile oil change interval that the oil change shops recommend.

You asked what everyone recommended, ignored the overwhelming "shoot it, and maybe field-strip clean it every now and then" responses, then went searching until you finally found an answer you liked better (and costs more money).
    I just tossed in the question to him because I was already needing to ask about the conversion of my USPs. I'm going with the answer you all gave here. I certainly don't want to spend money when I don't have to.

That eminently makes sense to me-as mentioned, be sure you include dryfire triggerpulls as counting towards the total (Todd G's and P30's recommendation for replacing the TRS at 12.5K repetitions).

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    That eminently makes sense to me-as mentioned, be sure you include dryfire triggerpulls as counting towards the total (Todd G's and P30's recommendation for replacing the TRS at 12.5K repetitions).

Best, Jon
    I haven't been recording dry fire pulls at this point, but I am going to start. I'm also going to get at least one more 45C as a trainer. Ideally I'd like three, one for carry/defense, one for training/practice, and one that is vetted and kept in the safe as a backup.

I wish there was some kind of dummy gun that had an LEM trigger to do dry practice with.

To put things in perspective, I would look at modern HK hammer guns (e.g. USP and newer) as a "lifetime gun" for mere mortals. Some here might wear them out. Most will probably never come close.

Best thing you can do is shoot it like you're trying to shoot the barrel out. 50K, 100K, now you're cooking. Prepare yourself, however, for the spares required to support it! A handful of $1-3 springs and roll pins over the gun's lifetime.

We're talking less than ~$100 (hell, maybe less than $50) in spares to support a pistol for 50K+ rounds, which is pretty amazing if you think about it. Beyond the TRS every ~12K pulls as others said, maintenance is the last thing you need to think about with these guns, which is one of the reasons I love them.

Also, the fire control group components never really break on these guns. A number of the components are even produced with MIM, which many look down on (thanks SIG!), but are an example of what's possible with MIM done right. In a perfect world, SIG would source their MIM parts from HK and make their guns great again. (shots fired!)
    I've never actually seen any of the FCG parts (sear, hammer, LEM cocking piece, catch, latch, disconnector, etc) break on any HK hammer gun. I've seen well-worn sears and hammers maybe lead to a less than smooth pull, but that's about it. This makes sense considering the simple design of these components; they either move vertically in a linear fashion or rotate just a few degrees around two pins. Not much to go wrong.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

I haven't been recording dry fire pulls at this point, but I am going to start. I'm also going to get at least one more 45C as a trainer. Ideally I'd like three, one for carry/defense, one for training/practice, and one that is vetted and kept in the safe as a backup.

I wish there was some kind of dummy gun that had an LEM trigger to do dry practice with.
    Thats the dream. I grabbed a used p2000 off gun broker for cheap and that's my trainer. I plan on grabbing a third, oiling it, and putting it in a cushioned pistol case in the safe.

SD, how much a month do you: dryfire (triggerpull count)
    train (round count)
    practice (round count)
    compete (round count)

These counts should be actual or reasonably projectible.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Best of my recollection he definitely went through multiple TRS. If you do a lot of dryfire, those are reps on the TRS as well. 10,000 rounds or so is probably a good figure for that with dryfire included if you're looking for a preventative maintenance schedule.
    Good to know. I am getting close to that with dry fire.

Anyone have a part number for the roll pin for the trigger? Or is it the same as the roll pin for the backstrap?
    Last edited by Chewbacca10; 02-12-2024 at 09:52 PM.

User Tag List