Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: At What Point/Round Count Should an HK45C be Detail Stripped/Cleaned?

At What Point/Round Count Should an HK45C be Detail Stripped/Cleaned?

I recently got an HK45C LEM V7 a few weeks ago. I have been practicing with it twice a week and have a bit over 1500 rounds through it, with field strip cleanings between range trips. My JMCK holster arrives today and I’m going to start carrying it as it has been 100% reliable and I’ve fallen in love with the LEM trigger. For a compact .45 it is impressively soft shooting.

My question is, at what point should it be detail stripped and deep cleaned? I have never detail stripped an HK and don’t really trust myself to do so, so I’d likely send it back to HK (which is I think what they say to do. Don’t they say not to detail strip it yourself?)

I want to keep shooting it to practice and because I enjoy shooting it, but at what point should I slow it down? At what point should it be detail stripped/cleaned? I’m planning to get a dedicated trainer duplicate, but it won’t be for a little bit.

You probably have heard the story about federal ammunition, sending their USP full size in for maintenance to HK for the first time at 237,000 rounds without a parts breakage.

Since they are similar pistol, you could probably read TLG's endurance reports find out what broke when, but my recollection is the HK45 was extremely durable. If it was LEM, a trigger return spring at some point?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Didn't TLG's HK45 go something like 50k with a single parts breakage?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post

My question is, at what point should it be detail stripped and deep cleaned?
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You probably have heard the story about federal ammunition, sending their USP full size in for maintenance to HK for the first time at 237,000 rounds without a parts breakage.
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Didn't TLG's HK45 go something like 50k with a single parts breakage?
    I'm pretty sure in both instances, the number of detail strips was 0.

Since they are similar pistol, you could probably read TLG's endurance reports find out what broke when, but my recollection is the HK45 was extremely durable. If it was LEM, a trigger return spring at some point?
    Yep, not really worried about breakages, more of when it should be cleaned deeper than s typical field strip cleaning.

Yep, not really worried about breakages, more of when it should be cleaned deeper than s typical field strip cleaning.
    I wouldnt besides maybe pulling the extractor from the slide if ejection ever gets weird.

does the trs in a da/sa last longer?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I wouldnt besides maybe pulling the extractor from the slide if ejection ever gets weird.
    You have to knock out that rollpin above the extractor, right? Are the rollpins supposed to be replaced after being removed, or does HK say you can use the same ones?

You have to knock out that rollpin above the extractor, right? Are the rollpins supposed to be replaced after being removed, or does HK say you can use the same ones?
    replace, they are about two dollars a piece. I ordered 20 and I have used one because I put a gray guns short reset trigger in one of my p2000s. many people go from bottom of the slide and push the pin out the top. back in through the bottom.

I recently got an HK45C LEM V7 a few weeks ago. I have been practicing with it twice a week and have a bit over 1500 rounds through it, with field strip cleanings between range trips. My JMCK holster arrives today and I’m going to start carrying it as it has been 100% reliable and I’ve fallen in love with the LEM trigger. For a compact .45 it is impressively soft shooting.

My question is, at what point should it be detail stripped and deep cleaned? I have never detail stripped an HK and don’t really trust myself to do so, so I’d likely send it back to HK (which is I think what they say to do. Don’t they say not to detail strip it yourself?)

I want to keep shooting it to practice and because I enjoy shooting it, but at what point should I slow it down? At what point should it be detail stripped/cleaned? I’m planning to get a dedicated trainer duplicate, but it won’t be for a little bit.
    Short of dropping the entire pistol in a vat of mud or concrete, there is zero need to detail strip a modern service pistol for cleaning.

Ever.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List