Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: At What Point/Round Count Should an HK45C be Detail Stripped/Cleaned?

Was it the heavy TRS that was the culprit(squared profile one)?

I don’t recall hearing any longevity issues with the light TRS.

What great guns, makes me want to get a HK….again. Haha

When I saw Todd's numbers, I assumed he had a significant amount of dry fires presses that weren't in his live fire numbers.

I haven't broken a TRS on a DA/SA HK pistol -- can someone explain why the LEM seems to go through them faster?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I haven't broken a TRS on a DA/SA HK pistol -- can someone explain why the LEM seems to go through them faster?

Do you know what weight TRS they have?

As I mentioned above I have not experienced or ever heard any early breakages with light TRS.

It always seems to be the heavy square wired TRS that break early.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    When I saw Todd's numbers, I assumed he had a significant amount of dry fires presses that weren't in his live fire numbers.

I might be remembering this incorrectly, but didn’t HK make a change to their trigger return springs because they were breaking? I thought I remembered reading some where that they change the spring material.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Short of dropping the entire pistol in a vat of mud or concrete, there is zero need to detail strip a modern service pistol for cleaning.

Ever.
    This ^^^.

Normal cleaning, stay on top of replacing the TRS if you dry fire (which you should be doing) since replacement schedule is based on the number of trigger pulls not the number of live rounds fired.

Regarding roll pins- replacing roll pins instead of reusing them as always “the best answer.”

Yesterday I had emailed James at Teufelshund Tactical about having my USP 45's converted to Hybrid Match LEM. While I was at it, I tacked on the same question about full disassembly and cleaning regarding the HK45C. Here was his response:

"I would recommend every 5000 rounds to fully disassemble, clean, inspect and reassembly a firearm."

I'm not yet sure if I'm going to send my USP's to him or back to HK. It sounds like he may be a little less expensive, but I'm not sure. Part of me wants to deal with him just because I've watched his stuff for years.

LEM conversion really isn’t difficult. Get yourself the cheap TRS pliers and drive on.

I converted my P30LS to LEM, and will likely convert it back to TDA now that I have a factory LEM version.

I converted all my LEM P30s to GG short reset and flat triggers and the HK45C to short reset (no flat trigger available yet) plus a heavy TRS in all, it’s not hard to do.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

The TRS on my P2Ksk started to corrode from sweating on it at the gym so I now put a small drop of oil / CLP on the TRS on all my HKs every so often

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Yesterday I had emailed James at Teufelshund Tactical about having my USP 45's converted to Hybrid Match LEM. While I was at it, I tacked on the same question about full disassembly and cleaning regarding the HK45C. Here was his response:

"I would recommend every 5000 rounds to fully disassemble, clean, inspect and reassembly a firearm."

I'm not yet sure if I'm going to send my USP's to him or back to HK. It sounds like he may be a little less expensive, but I'm not sure. Part of me wants to deal with him just because I've watched his stuff for years.
    I recommend every 1,000 rounds. You can send the pistol to me for a nominal fee.

I also recommend you replacing the entire pistol every 2,701 rounds. You can purchase the replacement from me, too.

[End sarcasm]

Dude.

Just shoot the gun and clean it via field stripping. It will be fine. There is absolutely no reason, whatsofuckingever, to detail clean the gun every 5,000 rounds. This is patently ridiculous and a complete waste of money. Some guns do require frequent detail cleaning to remain reliable, such as an HK MP7 or SIG MPX (both needing cleaning of their gas system) A modern polymer framed modified-Browning tilt-lock pistol of any kind does not.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-10-2024 at 11:12 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post

I like the guy but he makes money detail stripping hks or putting them back together for people who can't figure it out.. Don't do it. It is an HK pistol, it is designed to out last grunts using it in the field and abusing it (I say that lovingly as I was, in my youth, a Marine grunt.) You are not going to have to break that gun down unless you break something in it. Stop worrying about it, and if you do want to worry about it buy these spare parts:

from MGW or Hkparts:
    TRS (flavor you want)
    Pliers for TRS
    Roll pins universal for hk pistols

Really, anything else that would break you can just order all the replacement springs around the 20k mark, change them or have hk do it for a small fee and go back to shooting for another 20k. You do not have to worry about this stuff with modern service pistols, espeically an HK. The triggers may not be great, the support may not always be the best, but those pistols fucking run.

User Tag List