Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have there been Serpa holster lawsuits?

Site Supporter
    Another alarming piece from the article:

"Fellow officers applied a tourniquet and Turner drove herself to a local hospital. Her wound did not heal on its own, however, and it September 2022 she had to have surgery."

I have a couple that came in deals, I will destroy them rather than sell them !

I was having lunch a few months ago in Bristol, TN and there was a group of Corrections Officers there as well. Some had the Serpa. I *really* wanted to have a conversation, but I figured the Serpas were issued, so I decided to mind my own damn business. I was surprised and saddened. (Kind of figured they may have gotten some hand-me-downs or something. For the most part, they looked decently squared away.)
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Site Supporter
    There is at least one police department that provides security at a local hospital that has used (and hopefully does not still use) them.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

If I were king of Blackhawk, I would have discontinued/recalled/or changed the design a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    There is at least one police department that provides security at a local hospital that has used (and hopefully does not still use) them.
    The ER might be the perfect place to carry a Derpa…

Name:  IMG_2084.jpeg
Views: 213
Size:  79.4 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post

With all of the agency, instructor, and school bans on that design, I'm surprised it is still being sold in the US. The only one I ever owned was one I issued in the Guard.
    I banned them from my old places range soon after I took over.

When I retired, the guys gifted me a belt with some inside joke engraving in Latin on the buckle. Also included was a Serpa holster.

As of my 2022, the LE branch of my previous agency still issued/authorized the serpa for certain attire.

In the late 2000s, a M9 in an issued serpa meant you had some legit cool guy shit.

It’s amazing those holsters have stuck around so long. I can only assume it’s been discussed at Blackhawk to ol’ yeller the line based on drama alone. Flip side, I imagine enough organizational purchasers still exist to keep the accountants happy.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    I wonder if the fact that multiple major agencies (LAPD, Dallas, Vegas, CT State Police, plus FLETC which is not mentioned here, and the smaller agencies) prohibit the SERPA could start to approach the level of an industry standard of care, opening up the possibility that an officer who is issued or mandated to carry a SERPA and grooves their leg could sue their department for forcing them to use unsafe equipment in addition to the manufacturer.
    The article mentioned the FLETC study and linked to it.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security Federal Law Enforcement Training Center did a study on the holster and concluded that "Serpa CQC holsters are problematic and pose a safety hazard," the lawsuit states.
    https://www.fletc.gov/sites/default/...isterStudy.pdf

I think the reason they were not cited directly is FLETC tried to ban the SERPA but didn’t really. The problem is FLETC has over 80 partner organizations, some of which issue Serpa holsters. So when they tried to ban SERPAs from their ranges those organizations asked if FLETC was going to buy replacement holsters so their people could train. Then FLETC banned SERPAs unless they were agency issued, at which point the whole thing was pointless and unenforceable.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    As of my 2022, the LE branch of my previous agency still issued/authorized the serpa for certain attire.

In the late 2000s, a M9 in an issued serpa meant you had some legit cool guy shit.

It’s amazing those holsters have stuck around so long. I can only assume it’s been discussed at Blackhawk to ol’ yeller the line based on drama alone. Flip side, I imagine enough organizational purchasers still exist to keep the accountants happy.
    SERPAs are cheap and available. Sporting good stores, and “Ho-ah” shops outside military bases, LE training centers etc have them in stock.

As per why Blackhawk still offers SERPAs, yes, gear, companies exist to make money, not gear, and the Serpa still sells.
    They also claim that slightly moving the location of the retention release button somehow “fixed” the Serpa (it didn’t).

By the late 2000s we had already caught on to the problems with the Serpa and became early adopters of the Safariland ALS.

User Tag List