Thread: RFI: Ballistic performance

RFI: Ballistic performance

So I’ve been doing the firearms thing for a bit and am decent-ish at using them. What I’m looking at is learning about ballistics. I know that’s a bit generic but I’ll admit upfront to not knowing really much of anything about the topic to be too specific in questioning.

The best way I can figure to explain what I’m wanting to learn about it is external ballistics and terminal ballistics. I’m looking to understand how certain projectiles behave in overall performance (flight and impact) and being able to find and comprehend the data knowledgeably enough discern between fact and BS. I’m wanting to become more than just another “end-user”.

Any particular sites, books, classes, etc. that y’all can recommend is greatly appreciated.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

For exterior ballistics, Bryan Litz's 'Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting' is a pretty deep dive.

Regarding terminal ballistics, read all of Dr. Fackler's papers, all the journals of the IWBA, as well as any FBI-BRF and JSWB-IPT documents you can locate.

You might also discover a few things here: https://pistol-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?19-Ammunition
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Internal/External Ballistics

https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady...nal-ballistics

Hornady has some reading and videos on this subject.

Comprehensive treatment of internal, external, and terminal ballistics in a single source reference is available in

''Ballistics: Theory and Design of Guns and Ammunition, Third Edition'' by Donald Carlucci

and

''Modern Exterior Ballistics - The Launch and Flight Dynamics of Symmetric Projectiles'' by Robert McCoy.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List