Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hunting gear

hunting gear

First I want to say thank you to those of you who suggested where I start to look for hunting. That led me to getting in touch with some great people and ironically a father of one of my prior students whos family runs a guide business. So now that I have a group of great people to learn from and hunt with, I need to start thinkin gear.

I am starting out with just white tail deer for this year and have a rifle and optic combo figured out (thanks for the tips @lostriver).

I was hoping to get some suggestions on:

game bags

1)A good pack that is capable of carrying some gear (survival kit/first aid kit/range finder/water/etc) and filled game bags after harvesting a deer.

2) a good knife that will be up to the tasks that hunting larger game will bring my way

3) good set of binos

4) tripod

5) laser range finder.

Based on your list, you might want to look for a second and third job!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    First I want to say thank you to those of you who suggested where I start to look for hunting. That led me to getting in touch with some great people and ironically a father of one of my prior students whos family runs a guide business. So now that I have a group of great people to learn from and hunt with, I need to start thinkin gear.

I am starting out with just white tail deer for this year and have a rifle and optic combo figured out (thanks for the tips @lostriver).

game bags

1)A good pack that is capable of carrying some gear (survival kit/first aid kit/range finder/water/etc) and filled game bags after harvesting a deer.
    If you're going to haul game bags in it, be sure it is easily washable. And carry trash bags to go over your game bags.

2) a good knife that will be up to the tasks that hunting larger game will bring my way
    A small Mora knife is my favorite; you don't need much blade length, and I've found that when I needed more heft for breaking down larger joints, I was either cutting incorrectly or needed a different tool like a saw or pack axe.

3) good set of binos
    There are a lot of great binos out there, and it really depends on how much you want to spend and how far you're expecting to spot game. My favorite hunting binoculars are the Kowa 6x30's. They're small, light, inexpensive and 6x is about as much as I can hand hold for long periods and keep the image steady. If you need more magnification, it's hard to beat a set of 8x42's from a reputable manufacturer. Get a pair that can take a tripod adapter if you're going to be carrying a tripod for the rifle anyway.

4) tripod
    I've been impressed by the Leofoto tripods I've seen. I own a Really Right Stuff tripod I bought for photography because I used it almost daily, but if I were going to buy a tripod solely for hunting a few times a year, I'd probably buy a Leofoto. Same with the tripod head; I own Arca Swiss and RRS heads, but if I were buying one just for hunting it would be a Leofoto based on the one I've used.

5) laser range finder.
    Consider if you actually need one. Unless you expect to shoot at distances requiring the use of reticle hold offs or dialing windage/elevation, I'd put the money into binoculars first.

Last edited by oregon45; 02-07-2024 at 10:13 PM.

game bags

3) good set of binos

4) tripod

5) laser range finder.
    Redneck opinion:
    -trashbags
    -Whatever is on sale at Cabela/Bass pro. I use this: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redh...0-hunting-pack
    -A folding case pocket knife or "old timer" skinner knife will work. A dedicated knife isn't a must, and you can put some memories on your EDC.
    -Vortex is popular. I use hand me down bushnell minis, but I'm looking at shorter distances.

-Vortex is highly regarded again. Hunting forest, I generally estimate.
    -Pass on the tripod for me. No idea. Not used much in forest hunting, in my experience.
    Honestly, I'd start cheap and learn what works for you. Small investment and learn as you go.
    Last edited by Cory; 02-07-2024 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Based on your list, you might want to look for a second and third job!
    hah, I am a very frugal person and this will be purchased over time and responsibly.

game bags

3) good set of binos

4) tripod

5) laser range finder.
    As a kid, I managed to kill deer while hunting in jeans, waffle-pattern cotton long johns, and a surplus field jacket with a book of matches in the pocket. Not sure how, but it happened. Don’t overthink it.

I’d rather hunt with $1k binos and a $300 rifle than the other way around. Start there. 6-8x is plenty. You can get older used alpha binos (Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss) for $500-ish. That said, alpha glass is no longer the best game in town. Call the folks at CameralandNY for deals on great glass.

Whitetails are small. My father dressed Texas whitetails for decades with a two-blade Case stockman’s knife, which you can get in a hardware store for $60. A single-blade Sodbuster would work just as well. A 2.5 to 3” blade is plenty, even for elk. More just gets in the way. Look for steel that holds an edge well.

Packs (and what to put in them) are a rabbit hole that's at least as deep as the rifle rabbit hole. I used a surplus ALICE pack for years because I had one in the Army. It's hard to shoot with it on while you're leaning over but otherwise it's fine. On the other end of the spectrum is the Mystery Ranch Pop-Up 38—a daypack that expands to carry meat—which is ideal for bigger animals like elk but overkill for a deer. On gentle terrain, I'd use a light daypack and plan to drag your buck home with 10-foot loop of 1” tubular nylon. Just tie a clove hitch round the deer’s head, step into the loop, and start walking. Should cost $10-12 in the same hardware store where you got your knife.

Old pillowcases are great for game bags, as is anything on sale at the end of deer season. You’re going throw it away when you get home, so resist the urge to invest.

I use a Leica rangefinder. Instead of waiting to see game to use it, determine ranges to everything you can see before game shows up. Then you can plan your moves (if any) knowing how far things are from you. They’re also helpful for navigation. I’ll upgrade to binos with a built-in rangefinder someday.

Tripod? No idea.

For general background, check out Steven Rinella’s books. He irritates me for any number of reasons, but his books are solid. Also check out https://www.thewildbooks.com/. Hogs and deer are all but identical in how you take them apart and the gear you'll need for them.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    As a kid, I managed to kill deer while hunting in jeans, waffle-pattern cotton long johns, and a surplus field jacket with a book of matches in the pocket. Not sure how, but it happened. Don’t overthink it.

I’d rather hunt with $1k binos and a $300 rifle than the other way around. Start there. 6-8x is plenty. You can get older used alpha binos (Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss) for $500-ish. That said, alpha glass is no longer the best game in town. Call the folks at CameralandNY for deals on great glass.

Whitetails are small. My father dressed Texas whitetails for decades with a two-blade Case stockman’s knife, which you can get in a hardware store for $60. A single-blade Sodbuster would work just as well. A 2.5 to 3” blade is plenty, even for elk. More just gets in the way. Look for steel that holds an edge well.

Packs (and what to put in them) are a rabbit hole that's at least as deep as the rifle rabbit hole. I used a surplus ALICE pack for years because I had one in the Army. It's hard to shoot with it on while you're leaning over but otherwise it's fine. On the other end of the spectrum is the Mystery Ranch Pop-Up 38—a daypack that expands to carry meat—which is ideal for bigger animals like elk but overkill for a deer. On gentle terrain, I'd use a light daypack and plan to drag your buck home with 10-foot loop of 1” tubular nylon. Just tie a clove hitch round the deer’s head, step into the loop, and start walking. Should cost $10-12 in the same hardware store where you got your knife.

Old pillowcases are great for game bags, as is anything on sale at the end of deer season. You’re going throw it away when you get home, so resist the urge to invest.

I use a Leica rangefinder. Instead of waiting to see game to use it, determine ranges to everything you can see before game shows up. Then you can plan your moves (if any) knowing how far things are from you. They’re also helpful for navigation. I’ll upgrade to binos with a built-in rangefinder someday.

Tripod? No idea.

For general background, check out Steven Rinella’s books. He irritates me for any number of reasons, but his books are solid. Also check out https://www.thewildbooks.com/. Hogs and deer are all but identical in how you take them apart and the gear you'll need for them.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Okie John
    you had me at creating a range card, that I am very experienced in.

Thank you for the great info
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 02-08-2024 at 12:47 AM.

you had me at creating a range card, that I am very experienced in.

Thank you for the great info
    I'll think of more later. I've been drinking.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    I have used various packs. They all work. Right now, I am using an Eberlestock because there are times when using my hands is more important to safe mountain hiking/climbing than holding onto my rifle. Protecting my rifle in the gun sleeve is nice.

I do use a range finder. As suggested, when I sit down to glass an area, I pick different spots and set up at least a mental range card. Makes planning out potential shots simpler. Misses have been when I didn’t.

Knives - I am a nerd on knives. I like to carry at least two, and a diamond hone. Send me your address, I’ll send you a Mora and maybe something else.

Tripods - I use them mostly for glassing. I’m guessing that’s what you will use them for most in New Mexico (I haven’t hunted there, but would like to). I glass with binos - 15x50 Vortex - on my tripod and glass a long time from one spot, then hike to another spot. Our little Coues whitetail are small and disappear in the brush or under a tree. It takes time and good glass to spot them when they aren’t moving. Your bino glass is more important than your rifle or rifle glass.

I have, one time, shot over my tripod and binos. I usually try to shoot from sitting or prone, but that particular situation made more sense to just lay the forend across the binos and put the round through his heart. It was not really a long shot - only about 125 yards. I do not own a tripod clamp for such shooting, but could see it if I was trying to do really long range shooting.

Game bags will wash. I bought some Alaska game bags for elk, even though I’ve never taken one (despite several attempts). I’ve used them for several deer, and have not thrown any of them away. I carry enough of them when whitetail hunting to bag up a quartered Coues. Easier to hike back several mountain miles with filled bags strapped to the backpack (or in the old Alice) than hiking out a whole or gutted deer. Dragging here is a non-starter.
    Last edited by Duelist; 02-08-2024 at 04:11 AM.

I use a vortex range finder and vortex diamondback binos. Mine are the 10x42s I think. You can spend more but it’s really not necessary to.

Knives you basically need to decide how much you like sharpening. If you hate it, get an outdoor edge razor lite or a havalon Piranta. Both are fine. The blade interface is a bit more friendly on the outdoor edge, the havalon is lighter and easier to clean. Havalon blades are sharper too. Personally I take a havalon and a leatherman multitool with me if I’m going with a replaceable blade. That gives my pliers to change the blades and a saw if I need it too.

I’ve also field dressed deer with just my pocket knife. Any pocket knife will be fine, seriously. I like knives, they’re cool. But if I couldn’t use anything but my $40 pocket knife to field dress a deer ever again, it wouldn’t really be a problem.

Okie John is right. I take very little with me in the field now. I don’t even carry a pack to tell you the truth. I go out with my tree stand, bow, milkweed (wind indicator), knife, tag, and a pen. Sometimes that is all I’ll bring. Range finder…usually but not always. Depends on the place I’m hunting. If there’s no way I’m getting more than a 30 yard shot I don’t worry about that either. I almost never bring binos with me any more. I use them for scouting a lot but very rarely hunting any more.

User Tag List